Upping the price.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Eliteone2383

Re: Upping the price.

Post by Eliteone2383 »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:13 pm
I guess we could lower our prices; We could pay our crew less, take away their benefits, drop CQI, eliminate the Mule team project, stop supporting our Troops, Law enforcement, First Responders, our community. Stop printing catalogs, use cheaper materials and reduce our tolerances. Eliminate bonus's, Make all of our products in China, blow off our Research & Development, Stop experimenting with special steels, Drop the Forums, change our name to "No longer Spyderco"........................................................For what?

sal
No thank you to all of that. Please just keep doing what you guys are doing.
Stay sharp!
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

^^^☝️🙄^^^
jegred2

Post by jegred2 »

Can’t blame Spyderco for inflation, but I was looking at a receipt on the Golden Stone I bought in 2021 and they are double the price now! If you really look at all the other expenses in life you’ll see a lot of it has gone up massively the last few years and we are being lied to about what the actual inflation rate is on a national level. That being said, there are still tons of options for great value Spydercos that are affordable as long as you don’t want the super nice Taiwanese all titanium models.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

jegred2 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:00 am
Can’t blame Spyderco for inflation, but I was looking at a receipt on the Golden Stone I bought in 2021 and they are double the price now! If you really look at all the other expenses in life you’ll see a lot of it has gone up massively the last few years and we are being lied to about what the actual inflation rate is on a national level. That being said, there are still tons of options for great value Spydercos that are affordable as long as you don’t want the super nice Taiwanese all titanium models.
Not knife related but your lied to about actual inflation caught my eye and I thought you might find this information interesting.

Back during Carters presidency when inflation was close to 20% they changed the way inflation was calculated. Before if a steak went from $1.00 to $1.25 it was considered 25% inflation. The government changed it so they did not compare exact products but you could substitute similar products, in this case chicken. So in the above case if chicken was $1.10 then inflammation was only 10%, not the 25% it really was. Our inflammation hit a high of 9% but if it was figured under the previous rules it would be in the high teens similar to when Carter was in office.

Just something interesting, heard it on Bloomberg awhile back so I think it’s pretty accurate.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/0 ... eindex.asp
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

sal wrote:
I guess we could lower our prices; We could pay our crew less, take away their benefits, drop CQI, eliminate the Mule team project, stop supporting our Troops, Law enforcement, First Responders, our community. Stop printing catalogs, use cheaper materials and reduce our tolerances. Eliminate bonus's, Make all of our products in China, blow off our Research & Development, Stop experimenting with special steels, Drop the Forums, change our name to "No longer Spyderco"........................................................For what?

sal
For me the jist of this, is that people need to understand that a product is not only the sum of it's parts. On this forum we all know that Spyderco does a lot for the community and invests in new steels, new models, has excellent customer service and so on.

I bought the Amalgam recently for €270 and one of the responses I got was "you can get s30v for half the price". People forget about proper heat threatment, design, tolerances and overall QUALITY.
PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Eliteone2383 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:53 pm
Erich wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:32 am
zhyla wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:41 pm
sal wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:21 pm
Could you elaborate more on that? What are the other companies of which you speak and what are they doing?

sal
This question wasn't directed at me but I will comment. Here is one of my purchases this week, a Vosteed Nightshade. This is a $70 knife with Nitro-V steel, liner lock, bearings, skeletonized liners, and micarta scales.

I'm sending it back because it's actually the wrong version (I ordered the thumbhole version). I don't care for the blackwash but otherwise this knife is really, really impressive. The edge is unbelievably sharp. 0.016" behind the edge. The rough micarta feels great. The scales are contoured, not just flat slabs. The clip is unexciting but works well. Ergos are good. Action is amazing.

The thumbstud version is IMO dangerous. The blade flies out once you overcome the detente and your thumb can trail behind it. Is this why Spyderco doesn't do a lot of knives on bearings?

There has been a lot of talk in this thread about how Spyderco designs have some quality (soul, charisma) and the stuff we see from competitors don't. In general I agree with this intangible. But this knife has soul IMO. It's supposed to channel the famous Shilin Cutter knives from a certain part of China.

Anyway, look at that knife and think: this is what the Astute or Tenacious are up against.
I like that design. It resembles the Lum knives Spyderco used to make. I might get one.

China makes good stuff. I think the whole demonizing of China was a bad idea. If Spyderco made this knife in Taiwan it would have a $400 msrp and then the retailers would gouge you to death to maybe $300 with MAP manipulation.

I bought a ton of Spydercos in 2022 but I noticed that I'm only carrying a good old s30v pm2. I feel like I can't use the others because I bought them so low, like a $127 Bradley 2, $156 15v Manix, or $175 pm2 Maxamet, and their prices are so high now and will continue increasing. It's like these types became investments and I just can't use them. Anyone else feel like this? I'm value trapped by my own knives because the inflation is so bad.
I dont feel like that at all. My #1 edc is my sprint run pm3 with cf and s90v. I didn't buy it not to use it. It's great steel and doesn't need to be babied. Holds a edge extreme well. Would be crazy not to use it. I guess I just dont covet material things. I view knives, guns, vehicles etc... as tools.
Right?? Afraid to use a couple knives he spent under $200 on, because of possible resale value?? Sounds like he's in the wrong hobby to try and make a buck. Maybe use them to learn and figure out why they are priced how they are instead of watching eBay/etc.

I've used every Spyderco I've ever owned, sold many. Some I've broken even, some I've got more than I paid and others I've lost on. The grand scheme of things, we're talking minimal overall gains or losses.

The lesson learned, was in using them I now know which knives I'd pursue again if a certain flavor came out, or I know a particular model doesn't work for me and now know to move on from that platform.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

IMO Sal can charge whatever he wants for his knives and I will still buy them. Granted it might be a lot less every year, but if I need a knife it will be a Spyderco knowing it will last me. This is coming more from a more of a user than collector stand point. If you need the Manix in every steel and color… yes that could add up.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

Peter1960 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:41 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:39 am
Could be a blessing in disguise. Chances are if you're on this forum, you've already got more than enough knives in your collection to keep you busy/happy as it is...you just don't know it yet. Based on the poll that was going around a couple weeks ago, the amount of people scooping up 15+ knives a year (excluding the Seconds sale knives, because those deals are too good to pass up!) I'm willing to bet most of the folks haven't given a majority of those knives even a full week of carry and use during this past year, probably even less went as far as giving these knives a new edge. The high prices should deter folks from this obsessive buying complex and get to know the knives they already have. You may already have your grail in your collection, you just don't know it yet because you're scooping up new knives left and right.
Just a thought.
Am I the only one who feels addressed by these wise words?
I am certainly not buying at that rate, but I have begun to think about my acquisitional goals. I realistically don't need piles of knives (fixed blades or folders).

Has anyone developed a firm yearly knife budget, or a 1 in / 1 out policy?
toomanyquestions

sal wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:29 pm
Very interesting discussion, and yes, I've been following it, and will participate. We don't like the high prices either and we're always considering the paths to take.

We spend a lot of time trying to make our products better, and we spend a lot of time trying to make our products less expensive. We are also working on ways to make inexpensive models, or what Eric calls "Low Cost" US made models. So, yes, we are aware of what's going on.

Then we have, as mentioned; Research and Development, design, ergonomics, close tolerances, variety, wide price range, No BS in our Marketing or Sales, standing behind our products, Mule Teams, etc. How do you weigh that in dollars and sense?

If I left anything out, I'm happy to answer your questions.

I'd also like to thank Gernot and others that have exhibited a reasonable understanding of the situation.

sal
I greatly appreciate the lengthy, thorough, response.
toomanyquestions

ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:55 pm
I wonder whether the tools our forbears had to buy were any cheaper relative to their incomes?

Has anyone got an old Sears catalogue, to compare?
I like that idea. Perhaps the Colt Lightening (1890~) priced out in inflation adjusted dollars. ;)
toomanyquestions

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:03 am
Not meaning to critizise you by any means (who am I to tell people how to enjoy their knives?), but 100 % no, I don´t feel like that.

I could never keep a Spydie that I don´t actually use a lot (exception: I kept a nib backup for my discontinued VG10 Stretch 1 for some time, but not even that anymore these days).

Actually, in a way the more special, unique, expensive it is, the more I like to use and experience it, see how, how fast and in which ways it "wears in", shows signs of use and so on.
So you have a collection limited by what you regularly use/carry? Which I suppose might amount to a 1 in / 1 out if you find a new nice has totally displaced an old favorite?
toomanyquestions

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:29 pm
sal wrote:

sal
There you go people, capiche? 👏👏👏
I agree.
Road Tripper

Post by Road Tripper »

Thank you Sal for engaging on this topic and being patient and transparent. It's been an interesting discussion from everyone.

I've tried knives from other makers, and while I still have a few in the collection, by and large the knives I carry and use are from Spyderco.

There's a quote attributed to Warren Buffett: "Price is what you pay, value is what you get."

It's subjective of course, but I feel my Spydies give good value and that includes not just the product, but the support and many interesting community discussions here (not just this thread). I don't know of many companies where the founder and other team members would engage with customers like this.

(Pocketing a SPY27 Manix LW today.)
Last edited by Road Tripper on Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

toomanyquestions wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:44 am
Peter1960 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:41 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:39 am
Could be a blessing in disguise. Chances are if you're on this forum, you've already got more than enough knives in your collection to keep you busy/happy as it is...you just don't know it yet. Based on the poll that was going around a couple weeks ago, the amount of people scooping up 15+ knives a year (excluding the Seconds sale knives, because those deals are too good to pass up!) I'm willing to bet most of the folks haven't given a majority of those knives even a full week of carry and use during this past year, probably even less went as far as giving these knives a new edge. The high prices should deter folks from this obsessive buying complex and get to know the knives they already have. You may already have your grail in your collection, you just don't know it yet because you're scooping up new knives left and right.
Just a thought.
Am I the only one who feels addressed by these wise words?
I am certainly not buying at that rate, but I have begun to think about my acquisitional goals. I realistically don't need piles of knives (fixed blades or folders).

Has anyone developed a firm yearly knife budget, or a 1 in / 1 out policy?
I don’t have a hard policy but I do my best to only buy it if I have a use for it. Problem is I now have about 10 Spyderco’s, most my use cases are covered.

At that I still want the new Sage 5 in REX121, a PE Shaman and a Lil Native. I don’t need any of them, I have similar knives like a Para 3 in Maxamet, but there still is a want.

I will probably buy one of the three this year to add to my collection, but definitely not buying 3-5 knives a year. Unless there are some great seconds deals…
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

The retail price was $22 in 1976.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I purchased my Buck 110 (420HC) in April 2013 for $35.95. It has a nice Rosewood handle which isn't available anymore. The Ebony wood handle now is $64.99. The Buck 110 was introduced in in 1964. It's a classic American folding knife.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

sal wrote:

sal
Please don’t listen to the few negative people. I think they’re in the minority. Yeah I can’t buy the really expensive knives but the PM2 CRUWEAR with Micarta handles that I got when I visited Spyderco in Golden Colorado is my pride and joy and I use it. For me it was expensive but worth it. I don’t think it would be that way if you didn’t do the things you do that make Spyderco unique and special. Spyderco is more than a knife company. It’s a way of life, it’s a community, it’s family. Don’t ever change! Keep being what makes Spyderco special.
Greg

* EDC> PM2 - S45VN, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Rockjumper - VG 10, Manix LW - CPM 4

Mules in current use AEB-L and K294
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

To those of you who do not want to pay for Spyderco products, I say depart and do not return. Either trust those managing the creation of Spyderco products or find another manufacturer that pleases you.

Spyderco the corporation, the First Family of Spyderco, it's employees and fans do not need you to tear at the fabric of this company.

Sal has had enough. I am sure that I am not alone in thinking this thread has run it's course.

Please close the thread.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Flash

Post by Flash »

If people are finding it hard to buy knives or even struggling to accept the increases during these financially turbulent times, then perhaps the best solution would be to buy less of them.

Keeping food on the table and a roof over you and your family’s head is slightly more important than buying that new knife with a different colour plastic handle or slightly more stainless steel.
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

You guys were getting better deals on Bucks than I was. My 119 cost me $59.99 in 2001. My 110 cost $49.99 in 2011.

Both are only $15 more now. That's pretty good inflation-proofing for 15-20 year's time.

But I figure Buck has a few other things going for them, too. Brand recognition, volume, availability, etc. Spyderco is popular among knife enthusiasts, but Buck is so ubiquitous and generational there's probably a million times a year a teenager or young adult goes to Walmart for a "Buck knife" like their dad or grand dad's.