did somebody say magnacut manix...?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SteveMidwest

Re: did somebody say magnacut manix...?!

Post by SteveMidwest »

razorburn wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:52 am
New Internals

Note Blade Markings

Thank you for the pictures, razorburn!

It's hard for me to tell, when looking at one of those pictures. To see if the ball bearing is black or not? As it sits in the shadow, in that picture.

A few of us have been wondering, and discussing, whether Spyderco has put a black ceramic ball in this one. Can you confirm or deny?

I do have a black ceramic ball in three of my other Manix 2 knives, that I have installed, and really do like them. In my mind, and experience. I see no reason to not go with ceramic, especially in a 'Salt' situation.

I'm not really wanting to take mine apart right now, to find the answer to this question. Partially due to laziness :smirk but mostly due to the fact that the action on my Manix 2 Salt is absolutely perfect! :bug-red-white
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

If you turn it spine down in the open position and pull the lock back you should be able to see the ball. Use a flashlight.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Chumango wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:26 am
If you turn it spine down in the open position and pull the lock back you should be able to see the ball. Use a flashlight.

It's true! This ^ will reveal the ball. Danged if I can tell if it's black or silver on my Salt Mx, even under good light. All I can tell you is that it's reflective.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The March 2024 Spyderco byte newsletter features the Manix 2 and especially Manix 2 Salt MagnaCut.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

So, is the ball ceramic on the Manix LW Salt? It makes sense if it is, from a corrosion standpoint.
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

Yes the ball is ceramic on the Manix LW Salt
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

A heads up to LW Manix fanciers.

Josh recently noticed that counterfeiters have made a LW Manix mold, and are producing fakes of Manix LWs in "Maxamet," "S90V," "MagnaCut," and "BD1N." They are for sale at low prices on eBay and appear to be selling in quantities to suckers/victims/flippers. You'll see them if you search for Manix + the word "tactical." They're usually for sale by a "new" seller.

The fraudsters have made some mistakes, such as screw construction on the orange S90V, and chrome hardware on the Magnacut, but one of the fastest ways to tell the fakes (in my opinion) is to look at the choil nub. It's semicircular on real Spydercos and appears to be asymmetrically squashed to the rear on the fakes. Also the fakes tend to have a "y" in the word "Spyderco" that is jumping upward.

For more info see the thread: viewtopic.php?p=1775533

I'm hoping the more of us who report the counterfeits, the more attention eBay will pay. My first round of reports were all rejected by eBay. My second round got several accounts pulled down. I suspect they just wait for enough complaints before they act, so if you have a moment to spare, please help. Thanks!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Thanks Bolster. I just reported about 10 of the listings.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:57 am
Thanks Bolster. I just reported about 10 of the listings.
Well eBay must have completed a very very thorough review because they've already gotten back to me and said that it is not in violation of their policy. Apparently their policy allows counterfeits. As per usual do not buy or sell knives on eBay.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:04 am

Well eBay must have completed a very very thorough review because they've already gotten back to me and said that it is not in violation of their policy. Apparently their policy allows counterfeits. As per usual do not buy or sell knives on eBay.

I've been wondering what would happen if I bought one of these fakes and then claimed it was counterfeit and returned it.

Ideas? Is there a chance I'd be stuck with it and not be able to return? eBay usually sides with the buyer...
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Full serrated edge please.
Justin
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:13 am
JSumm wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:04 am

I've been wondering what would happen if I bought one of these fakes and then claimed it was counterfeit and returned it.

Ideas? Is there a chance I'd be stuck with it and not be able to return? eBay usually sides with the buyer...
Probably the same thing they do for counterfeit reports. Nothing.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
gimibala

Post by gimibala »

I saw a guy on YouTube that installed and reviewed AWT scales on his Manix 2 LW Magnacut.

So I had to do the same thing. I purchased scales for my Manix 2 LW Magnacut and just finished installing.

Please take a look at the photos below.
Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_3171.jpeg
IMG_3170.jpeg
IMG_3169.jpeg
IMG_3168.jpeg
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

gimibala wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:03 pm
I saw a guy on YouTube that installed and reviewed AWT scales on his Manix 2 LW Magnacut.

So I had to do the same thing. I purchased scales for my Manix 2 LW Magnacut and just finished installing.

Thanks!
Looks good , how does it feel in hand ? Smooth or grippy ? MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
gimibala

Post by gimibala »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:25 pm
gimibala wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:03 pm

Thanks!
Looks good , how does it feel in hand ? Smooth or grippy ? MG2
It feels very good in my hands which are medium size. The scale finish is not that aggressive like the original FRCP which I really like, specially when you put the knife in and out of the pocket.

I believe is too early for a full review but man the knife looks great and feels so good in my hands.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

IMG_7274.jpeg