If laws and public perception were no issue, would you carry a different knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Eliteone2383

Re: If laws and public perception were no issue, would you carry a different knife?

Post by Eliteone2383 »

Public perception never bothers me. I've carried the native chief and pm2 with zero concern. But here in MD blade length is not a issue. I could potentially carry a sword on my back.
Stay sharp!
Mister Coffee

Re: If laws and public perception were no issue, would you carry a different knife?

Post by Mister Coffee »

My state allows me to carry any folder that I like, but as you get down to county and city jurisdictions, things get murky. If there were no limits, I'd carry my Police 4 Lightweight. It's a very nice knife. There's a knife that I have that is made by another brand that I prefer to the Police 4 as a carry tactical option — extremely easy to carry, but not good for anything except the self-defense scenario. With either, I might still carry my Delica.
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

Warrior and Pygmy Warrior. Plus my usual EDC.
Greg

* EDC - - - PM2 - S45VN, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Rockjumper - VG 10, Manix 2 LW - CPM M4

Mules in current use AEB-L and K294
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Pretty happy with the Para3. I got no need for anything larger.
- Richard
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

Here in the Netherlands the knife legislation states that stilleto's, OTF's, balastic knives, ballisongs and folding knives exceeding 28 cm when opened are illegal. It's not legal to carry any knife when public ordinance is effective e.g. a music festival, demonstration or football match. In case a police officer finds grounds to frisk you and finds a knife, they will decide based on the circumstances if they confiscate it or not.

Then there is the public perception. A lot of negative publicity about school stabbings and underaged purps and vics. The thing is that most of these stabbings occur with cheap kitchen knives so it's hard to ban. It reflects negatively on the knife communityand causing many people to see a knife only as a weapon, not as a tool.

I am conscious when and what I carry and don't use knives in public that often.

To answer the question. I would carry a larger knife such as my Millie far more often if the situation was different.
PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
miohin

Post by miohin »

I live in a southern state with very lenient knife/gun laws, but at this point the limiting factor is my pockets. My largest folder is a Yojumbo but I have recently gravitated away from it and towards smaller/slimmer knives that allow easier access to my pockets.

The Charisma is shaping up to be quite the pocket hog for me once it comes out even though I prefer larger (~4") knives.
Lurker