Sal, a handle forward Lil Native?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Sal, a handle forward Lil Native?

Post by Doc Dan »

Hey Sal, would a choiless, handle forward (like on the rockjumper) Lil Native be possible? Keeping the same blade length, this would give a lot more cutting edge to a small knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Re: Sal, a handle forward Lil Native?

Post by Wartstein »

Really?

I figure it would be doable with a comp.lock,but then would offer way too little grip area, wouldn't it?

With a backlock I guess that instead of the choil there would be handle (so the choil area basically covered by handle), so cutting edge would remain pretty much the same...

Just my 2c of course, but I personally think the Lil Native, Dfly and up to Chap size is the one where a choil makes the most sense...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
benja-man

Post by benja-man »

I agree with @Wartstein
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I have all locktypes of the `lil Native and I wouldn't mind if it's a backlock.

Please make it a wharnie though if possible like the Rockjumper and the LN wharnie.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

It would be possible to create and there would be plenty of grip area but I personally think they make too many Lil Natives as is. Therefore, I would question if a choil-less version is really necessary. (I say this with the Lil Native being one of my top favorite models of all time too)
-Nick :bug-red
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Perhaps it would be better suited the name lil bodacious?
:bug-red-white
Tristan_david2001

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:52 am
It would be possible to create and there would be plenty of grip area but I personally think they make too many Lil Natives as is. Therefore, I would question if a choil-less version is really necessary. (I say this with the Lil Native being one of my top favorite models of all time too)
I agree, the lil native platform is also one that’s been taking up a lot of production space between different handle color and steel sprints, locks, and a blade variation. Not exactly a reason to not do a choil less native though. If enough people requested that feature change they’d probably cater to that market. But the choil version is sound and functional and deserves to stay the way it is imo
Last edited by Tristan_david2001 on Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:14 am
Could it still be bodacious if it is very small? Maybe the Lil' Spunky or Precocious would fit that size. :winking-tongue

As for choils, I'm not sure it is a requirement, though it may be preferred by some. As an example, the McBee is much smaller than the Lil' Native and doesn't have a choil. The Manbug and Ladybug are a couple more examples, though with a tiny ricasso instead of choil. I could see using a handle forward design of this size.
Tristan_david2001

It’s definitely not a requirement of a folder that size. But part of the lil native design identity is you can get 4 fingers on the knife, and I think if you kept the same blade edge length but shortened the handle and ricasso it wouldn’t quite fit 4 fingers for a lot of people I imagine.
E.g’s like the mcbee and manbug are in a smaller size class and are only meant to fit 2 - 2 1/2 fingers
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

If it is handle forward, it is no longer a Lil' Native, but something else even if the result is similarly sized. Being released from the naming constraint opens other possibilities. If the intent is a four finger grip combined with an overall blade length similar to that of the Lil' Native (including choil), by definition it is has a greater overall length when opened. That has me wondering if the goal for the handle is a 4 finger grip, 3 finger, or even less.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The Lil Native is a three finger knife, three and a half if one squeezes in. The finger guard before the choil is in the way. If it were moved forward to the end of the scales, and the cutting edge lengthened, we'd have close to the same grip length and more cutting edge. This is actually such an obvious change, making it more like the Rock/Leaf Jumper, that I am sure there is at least a prototype or mock up already in existence. I could be wrong.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

TimButterfield wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:16 am
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Could it still be bodacious if it is very small? Maybe the Lil' Spunky or Precocious would fit that size. :winking-tongue

As for choils, I'm not sure it is a requirement, though it may be preferred by some. As an example, the McBee is much smaller than the Lil' Native and doesn't have a choil. The Manbug and Ladybug are a couple more examples, though with a tiny ricasso instead of choil. I could see using a handle forward design of this size.
Precocious! For that name alone, I’d take a smaller version of the still-to-be released handle-forward Bodacious.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:21 am
TimButterfield wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:16 am
Tristan_david2001 wrote:

Precocious! For that name alone, I’d take a smaller version of the still-to-be released handle-forward Bodacious.
I'm partial to the Precocious name for the knife also. I do not yet have children, but can imagine telling a young daughter, 'This knife was named for you.' :rofl Might need one version with a pink handle.
benja-man

Post by benja-man »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:22 am
The Lil Native is a three finger knife, three and a half if one squeezes in. The finger guard before the choil is in the way. If it were moved forward to the end of the scales, and the cutting edge lengthened, we'd have close to the same grip length and more cutting edge. This is actually such an obvious change, making it more like the Rock/Leaf Jumper, that I am sure there is at least a prototype or mock up already in existence. I could be wrong.
I just tried to figure out what you mean. If I rest my thumb on the small jimped section of the liner, I too can only fit 2.5 fingers behind the choil. I rarely use this grip in favor of grips that fit all my fingers, but can understand that in this scenario your proposal does make sense. It wouldn't be knife I'd be interested in but I get it now.
Tristan_david2001

I don’t understand.
IMG_4683.jpeg
The lil native is a 4 finger grip using the choil, which I think is how you’re primarily going to grip and use the knife.
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

It seems we are discussing removing the choil on the blade + handle and shifting the handle edge/nub forward and the blade edge backwards. If we kept the same handle length, it would give more edge on that blade length and a 3 - 3.5 finger grip on the handle. This would have the sharp edge of the blade just in front of the handle and (hopefully) have a slight nub on the handle to prevent the hand sliding forward. Take a look at the edge of the handle near the blade on both the Bodacious and Lil' Temp 3. I think that is what is proposed, but with the spine of the blade more flush with the handle as on the Lil' Native and Bodacious. I do like the edge being a little closer to the handle as on the Lil' Temp 3 if we're trying to maximize the edge length.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Little knives are popular. It is what it is. I happen to like them, though I've come to appreciate and carry the XL knives a lot.

I'd be interested in this.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

TimButterfield wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:45 pm
It seems we are discussing removing the choil on the blade + handle and shifting the handle edge/nub forward and the blade edge backwards. If we kept the same handle length, it would give more edge on that blade length and a 3 - 3.5 finger grip on the handle. This would have the sharp edge of the blade just in front of the handle and (hopefully) have a slight nub on the handle to prevent the hand sliding forward. Take a look at the edge of the handle near the blade on both the Bodacious and Lil' Temp 3. I think that is what is proposed, but with the spine of the blade more flush with the handle as on the Lil' Native and Bodacious. I do like the edge being a little closer to the handle as on the Lil' Temp 3 if we're trying to maximize the edge length.
Now someone is getting it.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:36 pm
Little knives are popular. It is what it is. I happen to like them, though I've come to appreciate and carry the XL knives a lot.

I'd be interested in this.
Yeah, we need a knife capable of eating an apple with slice by slice and small enough to drop in our pockets, despite what larger knife we might have.

One thing about the Lil Native is that it is a tank. If such a knife were in the pocket during an emergency and no other knife, it would do yeoman's service, for sure.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

nerdlock wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:14 am
Please make it a wharnie though if possible like the Rockjumper and the LN wharnie.
Microjimbo has entered the chat.

Could a leaf/drop point blade be put on the more neutral handle shape of the microjimbo? Or is the microjimbo handle only capable of supporting the low tip placement of a wharncliffe?