"Delica" the Tip of a Mule 2?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Bolster

"Delica" the Tip of a Mule 2?

Post by Bolster »

I'm working on making (another) backpacking knife, this one from a Mule 2 (MT28). Question: For its intended purpose, should I "Delica" the tip?

Attachments
Delica Tip.jpg
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
RustyIron

Re: "Delica" the Tip of a Mule 2?

Post by RustyIron »

It's prettier the way it comes from the factory, but I can see why you would want to give it the "Delica Treatment." Or you could just wait until you push it too far, and it Delicas itself. Then you could just touch it up when you get home.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bolster,

I've been using a SPY27 Mule daily for a multitude of tasks. I think the steel will handle the tip as it comes. Just don't pry or stab concrete. I sharpen it on a 20, 30, and a few strokes of 40. It's held up just fine. Sort of a Hamaguri.

sal
hollowt1pz

Post by hollowt1pz »

If it were me, hard decision. The tip can come in situational use more often than we think, but I probably would do it myself depending on what brand this backpack is tagged with.

sal wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:30 am
Hi Bolster,

I've been using a SPY27 Mule daily for a multitude of tasks. I think the steel will handle the tip as it comes. Just don't pry or stab concrete. I sharpen it on a 20, 30, and a few strokes of 40. It's held up just fine. Sort of a Hamaguri.

sal
You know me and who have been trying to get our hands on some spy27... you guys have ANY distributors?

That's not a favor ask or anything like that. No never! :zipper :shush
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mike,

Mules are sold consumer direct to keep the price down. So there are no distributors for the Mules. We've not yet made a serrated Mule in SPY27, but have one planned.

We have many SPY27 models in the field with more being added often.

sal
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

I have one SPY27 OG Mule, but it's not in the field. It's in the kitchen. It's my go-to when I want a small knife. I have a couple other Mules that could assume that role, but there's nothing not-to-like about the SPY27.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

sal wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:30 am
Hi Bolster,

sal

Thanks, Sal. Not much concrete to stab in the back country, so I'll be OK. Thanks for the 'user report' on the tip. I can imagine the fine tip coming in handy on a pack trip.

And as Rusty says, I can always "Delica" if I subsequently run into tip trouble, unlikely as that may be.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189