Any recommendations?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
uralpilot

Re: Any recommendations?

Post by uralpilot »

Thank you guys. Lots to explore. Sounds like a rabbit hole day! Leaning towards the UKPN.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The UKPK would be a good choice, I think. It’s enough blade to be useful, and enough handle to be easy to draw, manipulate and hold.

Great steel choices, and a serrated option, too (that one’s a cutting demon).
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Spyderco Smock would probably be a good choice for arthritis hands since it’s a button compression lock and can be opened via blade hole or flipper tab. Very well made in Taiwan. Unfortunately, the blade length is 3.4” and goes for $228.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Perhaps you would like the upcoming Lil native lightweight when it comes out. It will be lighter and has a slightly thinner blade than the regular Lil native and the rock solid golden back lock.

If you're okay with a slip joint there are many good suggestions. The ukpk or the urban would be my recommendation.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:45 pm
Perhaps you would like the upcoming Lil native lightweight when it comes out. It will be lighter and has a slightly thinner blade than the regular Lil native and the rock solid golden back lock.

If you're okay with a slip joint there are many good suggestions. The ukpk or the urban would be my recommendation.
Absolutely agree.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

RamZar wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:33 pm
Spyderco Smock would probably be a good choice for arthritis hands since it’s a button compression lock and can be opened via blade hole or flipper tab. Very well made in Taiwan. Unfortunately, the blade length is 3.4” and goes for $228.
I second this - the Smock is very easy to open and close. The UKPK is a wonderful knife too (although quite a different kettle of fish to the Smock). I’m sure whichever you opt for will perform admirably. There are so many excellent options from Spyderco I’d recommend going to a bricks and mortar shop to handle some if you can.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:45 pm

👆👆👆
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

The Lil'Native Slip joint is the best small slippy on the planet. For a larger blade, Sal's idea of the UKPK is the way to go.

If you think you can manage the mid backlock, I'd go Dragonfly 2 for a small blade, and the best knife ever made (IMHO) a Native 5 for a larger blade. The Native also offers way more steels and configurations, but the Lightweight versions are the ones I carry the most. The new Magnacut Salt Native 5 is a banger.

I don't have arthritis, but I do have carpel tunnel, and the Spyderco mid backlock is no problem for me - even one handed.

Good luck!
Brian