High carbide/hardness serrations??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
LindboKnifeandTool

High carbide/hardness serrations??

Post by LindboKnifeandTool »

Wondering how your experience with serrated knives like these is. I recently got the fully serrated police in k390 and with proper care I’m amazed by how useful they can be. Especially wondering about the alleged work hardening that h1 (?and h2?) undergoes.

I’m doubting they’ll be used much more often but I’d like to see more! More steels, Sabre ground with serrations etc.. my ultimate pipe dream is a fully serrated maxamet blade.

Doubt demand is high, but darnit they’re fun. I remember hearing the serrated zdp knives were having issues with theirs.

I’ve also noticed that there are different levels of aggression or keenness of the actual shape of them. Older saber ground seki models had more pointy tips. The k390 police has more rounded tips making it slide instead of catch. I’m yet to fully reprofile, but once I do I’ll make a video.

I hope to hear what you guys have to say, thanks for your time! -Cole
JayHenMac

Re: High carbide/hardness serrations??

Post by JayHenMac »

There seems to be a lot of serration posts lately. All of them are good reads. I am also new to serrated blades as well as K390. I have a SE Native 5 in Magnacut, a SE Para 3 in S45VN, and a SE Endela in K390. I can't speak to the question about H1/H2 but i have read nothing but great reviews from users on the forum about how those steels perform. The Salt series in general is a rock solid line and the high thoughness knives appear to take to serrated edges well. I imagine that the small/fine tips of the SE blades do better with tougher steels than they do with hard brittle steels. It seems to be a win/win combo when you have tough steel in combination with serrations. The reports from other users are that the SE Salt (H1/H2, LC, Magnacut) knives will cut long after they lose their hair shaving sharpness.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

The 'work hardening' of H1/H2 has been debunked. You'll have to search to find more on that.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I’ve had great experiences with all of the SE knives I own from Spyderco. K390 was a pleasant surprise on my SE Police (insert pocket chainsaw quote here 🤪), but so was LC200N and H1/H2. I’m really keen to try SE Cruwear but missed the boat on the Ayoob sprint, so fingers crossed there might be more of that in future.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I wouldn’t want Maxamet in SE due to low toughness. K390, on the other hand, has 3 out of 4 important qualities: hardness, toughness, and wear resistance. All it’s missing is stainlessness.