Serrated S110V (and other steels)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JoviAl

Serrated S110V (and other steels)

Post by JoviAl »

I was using my S110V UKPK just now and thought to myself “man, the edge retention on this thing would be outrageous in SE”. After a quick google I couldn’t find anything in SE S110V of any brand, which led me down a bit of a rabbit hole looking at other steels and their SE availability (cru-wear was at the top of this dream list). I assume S110V to be either a bit of a pig to work with or too fragile to handle serrations, but does anyone know of any reason why cru-wear doesn’t usually come in SE (or REX 45, spy 27, etc).

Genuinely just wondering, not complaining 👍🏻
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
aicolainen

Re: Serrated S110V (and other steels)

Post by aicolainen »

JoviAl wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:23 am
I was using my S110V UKPK just now and thought to myself “man, the edge retention on this thing would be outrageous in SE”. After a quick google I couldn’t find anything in SE S110V of any brand, which led me down a bit of a rabbit hole looking at other steels and their SE availability (cru-wear was at the top of this dream list). I assume S110V to be either a bit of a pig to work with or too fragile to handle serrations, but does anyone know of any reason why cru-wear doesn’t usually come in SE (or REX 45, spy 27, etc).

Though I like a good steel I'm not a steel nerd, so I'm likely to not fully understand the personality of the different steels.
According to your signature, you already have k390 in SE, which I assume is already in outrageous edge retention territory. And less brittle than S110V.
Unless you need more stain resistance to go with that edge retention, I wouldn't think k390 SE would leave much to be desired. Though I also realize; more cru-wear is never a bad idea :)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I think the recent Ayoob sprint may have been the first in SE for Cruwear. But it is a great question. With its toughness and relative ease in sharpening, I would think Cruwear would be a prime candidate for SE. Also SPY27.

Unfortunately, we may be seeing fewer SE models and steels based on the last discontinued list. Doesn't seem like sales support it.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:13 am
I think the recent Ayoob sprint may have been the first in SE for Cruwear. But it is a great question. With its toughness and relative ease in sharpening, I would think Cruwear would be a prime candidate for SE. Also SPY27.

Unfortunately, we may be seeing fewer SE models and steels based on the last discontinued list. Doesn't seem like sales support it.
I am still in search of an SE Ayoob after I completely missed them when they were available 🤦🏼‍♂️

I was just pondering out loud, as I would imagine many steels would be brilliant in SE. I fear you may be bang on with your speculation about SE being less popular overall though. For years I avoided SE assuming it was difficult to sharpen. When I finally came on this forum and read the SE sharpening thread it was a revelation. I can completely see why people would think it is complicated/impossible (the irony as I find it way easier now than PE!). I haven’t done away with PE, but I carry one of each now so I have the ideal tool for the task.
- Al

Dream knives -
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

aicolainen wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:01 am
JoviAl wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:23 am

Though I like a good steel I'm not a steel nerd, so I'm likely to not fully understand the personality of the different steels.
According to your signature, you already have k390 in SE, which I assume is already in outrageous edge retention territory. And less brittle than S110V.
Unless you need more stain resistance to go with that edge retention, I wouldn't think k390 SE would leave much to be desired. Though I also realize; more cru-wear is never a bad idea :)
I’m not proposing they do S110V in SE, rather just wondering why they don’t. K390 is in almost every perceivable way better IME compared to S110V *apart from* its rust resistance - S110V is practically a Salt grade steel in my uses (tropical weather, major sweatiness, salt water, corrosive sap) whereas K390 practically implodes if I get sweat on it without dipping it in Marine Tuff Glide first (I exaggerate for dramatic effect, but you get my point 😉). I actually love K390 even though it is a swine to maintain here, but Cru-wear and 15V are WAY more corrosion resistant and shrug off the tropics no problems.
- Al

Dream knives -