Spyderco 50th Anniversary Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dazen

Re: Spyderco 50th Anniversary Knife?

Post by Dazen »

A special edition of the Blackhawk and Renegade blade profiles on the Native and Chief would amazing too!

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:56 pm
Hey Robin,

Totally honest: OF COURSE I would carry and use even the most special anniversary Spydie, just as I would the 25th and 40th! Most likely even more than any other variant of the same model and definitely for any, also harder tasks!

Being so special in several ways (by its looks and its background) would make me enjoy even more using it and making it "mine" by individual, distinct scratches, dings and just signs of use.
A used knife to me always is more beautiful than a pristine, "lifeless" one.

If something is really "spyderco-ish" then it is making knives meant to be USED and to me it is not a totally irrational idea applying this also or even especially to a knife meant to celebrate 50 years of this very approach... ;)
Ahah, good answer :winking-tongue I'll admit that I started using my Ti A.T.R., because... well, it was made to be used.
Dazen wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:49 pm
A special edition of the Blackhawk and Renegade blade profiles on the Native and Chief would amazing too!

Oh dang, that'd be EPIC !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
cjk

Post by cjk »

How about a modern replica of the frog key chain which inspired the pocket clip for the 50th?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:29 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:51 am
Honest question - why can’t you just buy a regular production knife or a sprint run and achieve all those same things?

This is a rare and very special occasion. It is one of the very few, if not the only opportunity to use such high end and exotic materials in this kind of meaningful way.

Your general desire for a dedicated user knife is not wrong. It’s just that they already have a large catalog that can serve that purpose very well. We have to wait a decade or longer before we see another opportunity for an anniversary knife again.

Of course there are no rules in place saying it has to be high end with exotic materials. I just think a 50th Anniversary is a special enough occasion to celebrate with a truly special build.
JSumm wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:46 pm

As said: I totally can understand and appreciate the approach of making an anniversary knife out of special, high end, exotic materials!
It´s not that I´d not like that and find it very appropriate and appealing!

I just ALSO like the alternative approach I laid out too.
You say they already have a large catalog full of user knives, and that is very true as it is very "spyderco-ish".
So an anniversary knife could also be a special version of just that!
A lightweight but still sturdy, rust proof knife, just with "special" looks to celebrate and showcase the celebration year (for example FRN three-tone-colored like the Spyderco boxes in red, silver and black).

I can´t see why I personally should own an anniversary knife without carrying and using it a lot (as said, actually probably MORE than a non anniversary version of the same model).
I would not get much enjoyment out of a knife that just sits at home and I can only look at it or just occasionally and carefully carry it without much real use, right?

I´d enjoy a real user knife just a lot more if it also had that "special" anniversary touch to it.

But then, as said: I´d really use and carry an expensive, exotic model too anyway, so I am fine with both "approaches", and actually even more for the one you prefer, since I am sure the majority actually does too! :smlling-eyes
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

There’s no special way to do plastic. :winking-tongue
:bug-red-white
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:13 pm
There’s no special way to do plastic. :winking-tongue
... but definitely modern and sophisticated high tech fibreglass-compound- and superior handle - material! :winking-tongue ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I know this sounds off the wall . How about all knives commemorate the anniversary by having a 50th by the bug of every model made that year ? Just another thought to toss around . May not be practical for smaller blades . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

A Kiwi XL might just blow some minds
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Fireman wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:15 pm
A Kiwi XL might just blow some minds
Absolutely! MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:28 pm
I know this sounds off the wall . How about all knives commemorate the anniversary by having a 50th by the bug of every model made that year ? Just another thought to toss around . May not be practical for smaller blades . MG2
Now that is pure genius!
All people would be able to celebrate because of the different price ranges and availability of the line up and on top of that it would also be very cheap and easy to do for spyderco!
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
I think that is a great idea Dan if Spyderco does not want to invest or take the production capacity away from other models. I would think that may be easier to accomplish even though it would be every model. I don't know anything about the manufacturing process, but my guess is that could be achieved while placing the other marks on the blade.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

My thoughts are simple modification where everyone could be part of celebration of the 50th in every price range . No delay of new or restock of products . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Why does it have to be made for “everyone?” They’re just pocket knives; they’re not participation trophies.

In my opinion, nothing more than a simple laser engraving would probably be as underwhelming as it could get. Even if it were put on every knife made that year, it would require such minimal effort that they could just as easily do that on top of creating something worth celebrating. Actually the hardest part of it all would probably be coordinating their production with their release date to assure they’re actually released and sold during the 50th anniversary year. No matter what though, we would be buying 50th anniversary knives for years if they did that.
-Nick :bug-red
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:11 pm
Why does it have to be made for “everyone?” They’re just pocket knives; they’re not participation trophies.

In my opinion, nothing more than a simple laser engraving would probably be as underwhelming as it could get. Even if it were put on every knife made that year, it would require such minimal effort that they could just as easily do that on top of creating something worth celebrating. Actually the hardest part of it all would probably be coordinating their production with their release date to assure they’re actually released and sold during the 50th anniversary year. No matter what though, we would be buying 50th anniversary knives for years if they did that.
That’s true , but no sure where we could find consensus on one particular knife . Many suggestions are actually not bad and see many more popping up for good reason . May just leave it up to Spyderco to decide and go with it . Yes I would definitely purchase one whatever is decided by them gratefully . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

Just some thoughts:

- a Golden made knife?
- the most sold model?
- Sals favourite knife?
- Erics favourite knife?
- a voting for it?

ASF
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:17 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:11 pm

That’s true , but no sure where we could find consensus on one particular knife . Many suggestions are actually not bad and see many more popping up for good reason . May just leave it up to Spyderco to decide and go with it . Yes I would definitely purchase one whatever is decided by them gratefully . Dan
A consensus agreement on this forum will never happen and if a knife like this were to be made, Spyderco was always going to just make the decision themselves. (Much like the now extinct “forum knives”) I mostly see this thread as a way for Spyderco to gauge the interest of whether or not it’s worth it to produce a 50th anniversary knife at all.
-Nick :bug-red
Mister Coffee

Post by Mister Coffee »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:41 pm
A consensus agreement on this forum will never happen and if a knife like this were to be made, Spyderco was always going to just make the decision themselves. (Much like the now extinct “forum knives”) I mostly see this thread as a way for Spyderco to gauge the interest of whether or not it’s worth it to produce a 50th anniversary knife at all.

Agreed. There is unlikely to be a consensus on this forum. It's the price we pay for having our little fun.

Perhaps. Spyderco is a forward-looking company. It's possible that they don't have an enthusiasm for looking back. Rolex, which, by the way, is owned by a foundation, hates to have to deal with "watch collectors" and old Rolex watches. They don't care about your 70-year-old Submariner, your 50-year-old GMT or your 40-year-old Daytona. To them, it's just an old watch. Looking forward is the sign of an active imagination. Looking backward is a sign that the game is over.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

apollo wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:40 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Now that is pure genius!
All people would be able to celebrate because of the different price ranges and availability of the line up and on top of that it would also be very cheap and easy to do for spyderco!

I like the idea.
Attachments
logosmall.jpg
logosmall.jpg (89.81 KiB) Viewed 421 times
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:57 am
I think that is a great idea Dan if Spyderco does not want to invest or take the production capacity away from other models.
Well they could certainly do both if they wanted to. One doesn't preclude the other.
razehound

Post by razehound »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:37 pm
I like the idea.
This looks great!

Now I don't think that they'll end up putting it on every model for the year, as I don't see that as super feasible or reasonable. But whatever model they do release should have this bug for sure.

Hopefully we're early enough on this that it may make it's rounds before any finalization...
-razehound :spyder: Spydiechef, Paramilitary 2, Para 3 LW, Salt 2 SE, Spydiechef, Para 3 LW

I'd rather get caught with it than without it...