SE performance is more than simply teeth vs no teeth.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JayHenMac

Re: SE performance is more than simply teeth vs no teeth.

Post by JayHenMac »

Thank you! I will carry on!
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

Finally did it. Ordered my first full SE VG10 Rockjumper.
Greg

* EDC> PM2 - S45VN, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Rockjumper - VG 10, Manix LW - CPM 4

Mules in current use AEB-L and K294
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JayHenMac wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:22 am
After reading through this thread as well as the other sharpening threads, I am a little confused on what people are finding as the best way to maintain serrated edges on the SharpMaker.

Here are the options I believe people have settled on:
1. Re-profile and maintain at 15 dps
2. Re-profile and maintain at 20 dps
2. Maintain edge as close to factory as possible
3. Don't overthink and simply touch up using the 20 dps as needed

I know that the first response will inevitably be "it depends on the steel and what you are using it for", but in general, what are most people doing? I have a serrated Endela, Native 5, and a Para 3. For me it seems simplest to not overthink it, and simply touch up the bevel on the 40 degree side of the SharpMaker, and a quick swipe to remove any burr. Any problems with this method?

All of my SE Spydies came with more than 15 degrees on the side where the serrations are cut in, but under or at least not more than 20.

What I do:

I touch the egdes up with the 20 degree setting in order to keep ´em sharp

Ocassionally I make some or more or many passes on the 15 degree setting, using my CBN rods, so that the knife gets thinner behind that 20 degree apex and then evenutally reprofiled to 15 degrees.

So no real concerted effort of reprofiling in one "take", but kind of a "no hurry casual" approach, since my SE Spydies cut great already with a more obtuse angle anyway, more acute is just the icing on the cake

With my Pac Salt I am there already for example (reprofiled to 15 degrees).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I’m a knut who reprofiles his Spyderedges to 15 degrees soon after getting them. (K390 is not for the faint of heart!) The performance gain is worth it for me and in my uses they haven’t taken much damage. I always have the option to micro bevel at 20 degrees if the edge proves too fragile.

One benefit of doing this is it somewhat rounds the points, yielding an edge I prefer. Another benefit is that I can maintain it easily on the Sharpmaker.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

You should offer this as a service. I would be thrilled with the performance, but lack the patience, and time.
sal

Post by sal »

It's kinda a funny thing. Getting them right from a factory is challenging. They really come to life when sharpened properly on a Sharpmaker.

sal
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

It's funny. Most of the first twenty-five years of my life, I thought there were only PE blades. Oh sure, I had seen some SE bladed knives, but I subconsciously categorized them as saws or 'survival' knives when I saw one.

Then, one day I was walking along and I kicked up something in the grass. When I checked it out I found a mud and dirt encrusted SE Delica (old-style integral plastic clip). I took it home, cleaned it, oiled it, and then EDC carried it for years.

At some point, I ended up getting online to try and find out more about this little knife that cut so well and the company behind it. Thus started a never-ending addiction! :rofl :woozy :smiling-hearts

At one time, I had over 80 Spyderco knives, heavy on the Natives and Rescues. Most were SE, with a few notable exceptions, like the PE Finger-Groove Rescue (still have that one). I had to get rid of a large portion of that collection at one point. :-|| :pleading

But, now I'm back on track (still have around 15-20) and working on building up the collection again.

And it all started with one little orphaned/lost SE Delica that I adopted so long ago. :rofl
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:37 pm
It's kinda a funny thing. Getting them right from a factory is challenging. They really come to life when sharpened properly on a Sharpmaker.

sal

It's actually a really cool thing with SE: Knowing that the edge and performance even gets better and better with multiple sharpenings (at least if one prefers that more rounded, less aggressive pattern).

While with PE it is a bit the opposite: Even if thinning out the blade behind the edge from time to time one inevtably gets up to the thicker parts of the blade with multiple sharpenings which is not the best thing for the overall cutting geometry.
(Sure this happens with SE too, but is more than compensated by that improving/rounding of the teeth).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

cabfrank wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:48 am
You should offer this as a service. I would be thrilled with the performance, but lack the patience, and time.
Very few people would want to afford this service!
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'm sure your right. It probably takes hours?
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

cabfrank wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:18 pm
I'm sure your right. It probably takes hours?
3-4 hours for the K390 Endura on the CBN rods.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Yikes. Really, yikes. I'd never, and I wouldn't expect anyone to do it for minimum wage. Just out of curiosity, is it about half the time for VG-10 or H1/2?
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

H-1 and LC200N and VG-10 were half or less the effort as K390. In fact, I reprofiled a saber-ground VG-10 SE Endura in less time than my FFG K390 Endura took me, and that was removing much more steel to reach 15 degrees. The scallops on my K390 Endura look much closer to how they looked when new as compared to my VG-10 Endela. They both show some rounding of the points, but the effect is much more pronounced on the Endela.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I bet they are fantastic cutters.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

cabfrank wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:15 pm
I bet they are fantastic cutters.
Yes they are. For me it was worth the effort. Others will feel differently. I was at a work party lunch at church and a tomato was produced without a competent blade to cut it. I opened my SE Endela and the electrician scoffed… until he tried it. Made a convert that day.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bill1170 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:54 pm
H-1 and LC200N and VG-10 were half or less the effort as K390. In fact, I reprofiled a saber-ground VG-10 SE Endura in less time than my FFG K390 Endura took me, and that was removing much more steel to reach 15 degrees. The scallops on my K390 Endura look much closer to how they looked when new as compared to my VG-10 Endela. They both show some rounding of the points, but the effect is much more pronounced on the Endela.

Yes, the Endela SE just is a great option for those who want to see what SE is all about. Just can repeat that.
Enipgm

Post by Enipgm »

VandymanG wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:29 am
Finally did it. Ordered my first full SE VG10 Rockjumper.
You won't be disappointed. It's m'y smoothest lockback. Feels great in hand !

How are the serrations on a Stretch 2 XL salt SE ?
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Enipgm:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Enipgm wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:06 pm
VandymanG wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:29 am
How are the serrations on a Stretch 2 XL salt SE ?

Welcome to the forum!

.. and you might want to post your question here viewtopic.php?t=95991 too, I figure more people would get aware of it that way (I can´t answer it, don´t have a Stretch XL Salt yet. But if I get one: WITH teeth of course! ;) )
Enipgm

Post by Enipgm »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:44 am

Welcome to the forum!

.. and you might want to post your question here viewtopic.php?t=95991 too, I figure more people would get aware of it that way (I can´t answer it, don´t have a Stretch XL Salt yet. But if I get one: WITH teeth of course! ;) )
Thanks you ! I've been lurking for a long time ☺️