new coating coming!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: new coating coming!

Post by ladybug93 »

SchoonerBum wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:18 am
I’m always stoked about coated blades and I’m excited for the new ones. I’ve always been a little bummed that there aren’t more coated options in the salt line. Hopefully we’ll see some more!
the new pm2 salt that was just released with a coating gives me a lot of hope. i really want a stretch 2 xl salt in all black to replace my pacific salt and i've always wanted a black manix lw salt as well. this is one of the few times that hints of what's to come has slowed my purchasing of new models. i hope the wait isn't too long.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:54 am
SchoonerBum wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:18 am
I’m always stoked about coated blades and I’m excited for the new ones. I’ve always been a little bummed that there aren’t more coated options in the salt line. Hopefully we’ll see some more!
the new pm2 salt that was just released with a coating gives me a lot of hope. i really want a stretch 2 xl salt in all black to replace my pacific salt and i've always wanted a black manix lw salt as well. this is one of the few times that hints of what's to come has slowed my purchasing of new models. i hope the wait isn't too long.
I feel the same way and also hoping a model will be released with a black 15V blade in the future . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am excited about the coatings. This could mean that steels that rust easily and badly will suddenly become viable options for many of us who live in extreme environments or salty ones. Maybe even Vivi won't be able to rust them.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

The prospect of a K390 endura with this new coating excites me.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I thought the new in-house coating was just for the U.S. made Spyderco knives replacing the expensive DLC coating? Spyderco knives from Japan and Taiwan use TiCN coating.

Also, I’m assuming the recently released ParaMilitary2 Salt Black Blade is DLC but at some point it’ll be the new in-house coating. How does one tell the difference?
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:55 pm
Buddafucco wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:28 pm
Looking forward to some Spydercoat®
See, they install that Spydercoat® at the factory. There's nothing we can do about that.
You betcha!

Can we get that Spydercoat® on the wood chipper blades?

/Fargo jokes
Brian
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

My main criteria for a coating is durability, and DLC shines in this regard. If the new coatings are less durable than DLC, I'll probably steer clear.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I’ve mostly avoided coated blades because I tend to modify my knives and don’t require light discipline for my uses. However, the notion of a permanent coating that lowers friction has my attention. Now it’s a potential aid to performance and I want to know more.
crayon

Post by crayon »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:41 pm
My main criteria for a coating is durability, and DLC shines in this regard. If the new coatings are less durable than DLC, I'll probably steer clear.
This is the main issue. DLC is the gold standard for durability in the market.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I also think that reduced friction is a compelling thing. Add that to corrosion resistance and durability and its a winner.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wallach

Post by Wallach »

I like coated blades, and I don't have a coated Native 5, so that's going to be my excuse for buying another one later this year. Especially if I can get an FDE colored blade with some OD green scales (maybe DLT or REC or someone that likes doing this colorway), I'm in.
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

Synov wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:43 pm
It's smooth as silk.... Spyder Sylk!
nice
Jesla

Post by Jesla »

I have, in my old age, found an appreciation for coated blades. The sudden burst reflection off uncoated blades is blinding for a few seconds. I never cared for coatings previously. However I now prefer a coating on all my ‘user’ blades, but not for the usual reasons. Wish I could get some of my older blades coated.

Old Age…. It Isn’t for wimps….
Whatever turns you on, cupcake.
Still plays with knives…
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

It's great that Spyderco is developing their own coating and that it will positively impact cost. On the lubrication side, I just wonder if that would make a noticable difference. I have the Native 5 s90v with DLC coating which is super slicey already. Time will tell 😉
PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***