Stretch 2 XL in grey G10 and CruWear steel!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kobold

Re: Stretch 2 XL in grey G10 and CruWear steel!

Post by kobold »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:42 am
Ordered ssome gold CF for mine. It should be here soon 😉😁

Who makes them?
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

kobold wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:11 am
Ramonade wrote:

Who makes them?
Oh sorry, I ordered the Carbon raw from a supplier and I'm going to do mine by my own. If I have the model in my hands I can make it perfectly flush (especially at that sweet spot where we have all the layers : scales, liners, backspacer :smiling-heart-eyes )
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:20 am
kobold wrote:
Ramonade wrote:

Who makes them?
Oh sorry, I ordered the Carbon raw from a supplier and I'm going to do mine by my own. If I have the model in my hands I can make it perfectly flush (especially at that sweet spot where we have all the layers : scales, liners, backspacer :smiling-heart-eyes )
This is a case of serious scale envy ! I have begged two makers to produce scales for the Stretch XL with no success. Look forward to see your efforts . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
kobold

Post by kobold »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:20 am
kobold wrote:
Ramonade wrote:

Who makes them?
Very cool. Good luck with it! Make sure to post pics when done.
edit: looked up gold CF and wow, that's pretty.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

kobold wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:47 am
Thanks, I just finished a customization on a Valloton, so pricy knives aren't as scary as before :squinting-tongue

I just did a quick a google search and I went a bit fast when I said gold carbon fiber. The fully gold 3K like carbon fiber is extremely beautiful though, makes me want to try some stuff :smlling-eyes

I bought this kind :

Here's an example of it with high polish on a knife made by Fernando Ramos :

Should be subtle enough to not look too "Pimp My Ride" ! :crossed-fingers
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

kobold

Post by kobold »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:17 am
kobold wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:47 am
Thanks, I just finished a customization on a Valloton, so pricy knives aren't as scary as before :squinting-tongue

I just did a quick a google search and I went a bit fast when I said gold carbon fiber. The fully gold 3K like carbon fiber is extremely beautiful though, makes me want to try some stuff :smlling-eyes

I bought this kind :

Here's an example of it with high polish on a knife made by Fernando Ramos :

Should be subtle enough to not look too "Pimp My Ride" ! :crossed-fingers
Still awesome. It's like the CRK raindrop damascus blades. But in gold.
shane1

Post by shane1 »

How is everyone enjoying thieir XL G10? Considering one as daily carry. I assume the lanyard tube issue has been resolved?
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

shane1 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:31 pm
How is everyone enjoying thieir XL G10? Considering one as daily carry. I assume the lanyard tube issue has been resolved?
Love mine, actually carrying it today. Carries nice and thin, with a blade almost as long as a Military, but smaller carry package. I really enjoy the "action"... What I mean is the sound it makes open/close, centering, and especially smoothness when opening.

A classic Spydeco design!

Mine doesn't have the lanyard problem, fortunately. I don't know if it was resolved, or if the tolerances on mine result in the blade not contacting the lanyard.
MNOSD member 0030
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

I just ordered a second backup for my primary carry on Black Friday. It has no lanyard tube issues. the first one I got which was early on in the production run very slightly kissed it but after the first sharpening was free and clear
shane1

Post by shane1 »

Cycletroll wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:40 pm
I just ordered a second backup for my primary carry on Black Friday. It has no lanyard tube issues. the first one I got which was early on in the production run very slightly kissed it but after the first sharpening was free and clear
I am going to order one. I didnt like lock backs at the beginning of the year but I tried a few and like them a lot.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

shane1 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:01 pm
Cycletroll wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:40 pm
I am going to order one. I didnt like lock backs at the beginning of the year but I tried a few and like them a lot.
Its an excellent and very refined design. I'd be surprised if you don't find it to be an exceptional knife ;)
Stas

Post by Stas »

I've had some tough luck with the quality control of Japanese-made Spyderco knives, but surprisingly, my Cruwear S2XL doesn't show any issues like a lanyard tube problem. It's from one of the first batches that became available in Europe. Although I had been dreaming of a G10 Endura for a while and finally found one, I admit that the Stretch 2 XL in this configuration surpasses it in every possible aspect, except for corrosion resistance.
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

shane1 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:31 pm
Mine had the issue, and reportedly so do some of the latest blue Nishijin models. I removed the tube, and haven’t thought about it since.

It’s the nicest Seki-city knife I’ve had the pleasure of using. Build quality is excellent. Very smooth action, very easy to close one-handed, and man is it easy to pack 4” of cruwear into your pocket.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:46 am
It’s the nicest Seki-city knife I’ve had the pleasure of using. Build quality is excellent. Very smooth action, very easy to close one-handed, and man is it easy to pack 4” of cruwear into your pocket.

Right? It's such a nice blade in an elegant package. If there was an award for Best New Knife of 2023, this baby would be right up there in the competition.

TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

kennethsime wrote:
Mine had the issue, and reportedly so do some of the latest blue Nishijin models. I removed the tube, and haven’t thought about it since.

My Nishijin had the issue. Thankfully, I caught it before doing anything other than look at it. Like you, I removed the tube. Yay! My first Spyderco disassembly. :rofl Now, I can actually use it, which is great as it's a lovely knife.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

RustyIron wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:15 am
kennethsime wrote:

Right? It's such a nice blade in an elegant package. If there was an award for Best New Knife of 2023, this baby would be right up there in the competition.

Last year, Thomas at the Knife Center said it was his top pick (for what that's worth).

I wish my G-10 Dragonfly felt this good.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
cjk

Post by cjk »

cjk wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:18 pm
still one of my favorites. 😁
This is still true. 😁❤️
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Anyone found scales for them yet?
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Oh, by the way, here are the scales I made for mine :)

I might make another set with the same material, but 3D contoured.

Stas

Post by Stas »

Looking great Robin. While Nishijin Damascus was too much of effects for my eyes, this one is just perfect 🤩
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.