Spyderco 50th Anniversary Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Coastal

Re: Spyderco 50th Anniversary Knife?

Post by Coastal »

I know I'm in the minority on this forum, but I doubt I'll buy a 50th-anniversary knife just because it's a commemorative. It'll have to pique my interest in some other way: an old model (like the Worker or Military Model) re-imagined, dressed up or re-steeled, or else a totally new model. Even then, I'll judge it like I do other knives: if it looks like something I would use or just enjoy owning, I'll buy it. Otherwise, I won't.

The old models that hold the most meaning for me are the Worker (my first Spyderco) and the Military Model (my favorite). Either of those in SPY 27 would be a likely buy. Even better would be SPY 27 and some special handle treatment: bolsters, Ti, micarta, engraved "50th," etc. Plenty of other older models would be of interest: Calypso, Sage, Endura, Stretch... The only relatively new but already established models that would entice me are the Stretch 2 XL because I love it, and the Military 2 because I'm looking for a reason to try one. A totally new model would be a gas, but, again, it would have to be interesting/useful in its own right. Hopefully it would be a Glesser design.

I agree with everyone who says it should be SE because Spyderco invented the Spyderedge. But I agree even more with those saying it should be PE because I'd be more likely to buy it then.
Jesla

Post by Jesla »

As for a PE/SE set… that lets me out… really won’t be forced to buy a knife I do not want just to get a knife I do.

I do wonder if SE blades start out as PE seconds?…. Kinda makes sense from a manufacturing stand point.

Anyway… I want a way to opt out of the SE version.
Whatever turns you on, cupcake.
Still plays with knives…
Danke

Post by Danke »

I honestly can't see turning seconds into serrated versions. That would mean the issue would need to match right up with the pattern of teeth. Quite the coincidence.

In the spirit of making everyone happy it should be the Dyad so there can be PE and SE in one fell swoop.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I like where mikey177 was going with the 50th anniversary being the golden one, and Golden certainly seems like the most fitting factory to make this commemorative model. I also like what Coastal was saying with it being a newish or new model — so I’ll throw out the option for a fluted Ti Military 2 again! For those wondering whether something like that would be a nice option, I offer this picture of my own first-gen (CQI’d) version of a S90V fluted Ti Millie for consideration. Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
sal

Post by sal »

Nice shot RS. Thanx. That is very nice piece.

I linked Eric to this thread due to the many suggestions. He's out right now, but I'm sure he'll see it.

sal
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

We're really just spitballing. We want you to pick your 50th anniversary knife. We'll like it, and we want you to be proud, reflecting on all you've done. 😊
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:12 pm
I like where mikey177 was going with the 50th anniversary being the golden one, and Golden certainly seems like the most fitting factory to make this commemorative model. I also like what Coastal was saying with it being a newish or new model — so I’ll throw out the option for a fluted Ti Military 2 again! For those wondering whether something like that would be a nice option, I offer this picture of my own first-gen (CQI’d) version of a S90V fluted Ti Millie for consideration. Cheers, Radioactive
I would absolutely love a titanium Millie!!!!!!!!!!
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Forgot that the Native 5 had been done for the 40th birthday !
I'm in for anything then, but I have to admit that a Fluted ti Military 2 (or OG in RIL) would be magnificient :open-grin
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

OK, this is a shot in the dark, and I suspect not one that is likely to win the popular vote,
but you only get to pitch ideas for anniversary knives every so often, and seeing this thread and a resurrected Harpy thread pop up around the same time made some dots connect and got me thinking..

I have a SS Harpy, it's a lovely knife and I really like the both SS scales and a hawkbill blade, but the combination of SS scales and a serrated hawkbill is ultimately not very useful to me.
I think hawkbills perform better and are a more safe and reliable tool in scales that provide better traction. And for this we already have options, so it's not really an issue.

These wonderful Harpy SS scales however are so good looking, comfortable and pocket friendly, they would IMO deserve a blade option that could make them a viable choice in more situations.
A FFG drop point or leaf/clipped leaf shaped blade in these scales would probably be the ideal SS Spyderco I'm capable of imagining, and one that would do a lot to incentivize a much increased frequency of SS carry (up from near 0%).
A new blade shape is a big ask all on its own, but if the blade stock could also be reduced for such a version.. oh my.. :star-struck.

I can see the counter arguments piling up already; it's not Golden made, it probably doesn't make a dent in the sales charts in its current form and so on.
But the Harpy is iconic, no doubt. It's widely recognized both among knife enthusiasts and regular joes and janes due to it's cinematic legacy. And the pinned stainless steel handles harkens back to the roots of Spyderco as a knife company. I'm in.

Edit: wharncliffe! I forgot to suggest wharncliffe. Currently my favorite EDC blade shape. I'd absolutely be fine with that ofc, though maybe unlikely as they don't seem to perform well in the marketplace at the moment.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

This isn’t in response to anyone in particular just in general but I think some people are missing the point of a commemorative anniversary knife like this.

It’s not meant to be a heavy user - they make thousands of those knives every year.

It’s not supposed to be more of the same with a tiny little “50” hidden on it somewhere.

It’s supposed to be special and meant to be commemorative. It’s supposed to be collectible!

If you don’t consider yourself a collector, then this one probably isn’t for you.

:respect :bug-white
-Nick :bug-red
elena86

Post by elena86 »

cabfrank wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:56 pm
I agree with all of that, except the PE part. SE is a big part of Spyderco history.
You nailed it !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

weeping minora wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:11 pm
I think the 50th anniversary should commemorate a special edition SharpMaker; being as Spyderco, "First made things sharp, before making sharp things".

The more I think about it, the more I like this. Commemorative knives have been done before. To my (incomplete) knowledge, a SharpMaker has not. What would you like to see in this?

I think moving away from the small footprint of the traditional SharpMaker is a good idea. Give us a bigger base with more angles, provide different kinds of abrasives, different shapes, etc.
infinkc

Post by infinkc »

For a 50th, it has to be special. I would like to see a Ti/CF Military also, but with some special milling, not just fluted. With a polished blade. Jeweled backspacer. Serialized.
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

That fluted Ti posted by Radioactive looks really cool. I wonder if you could inlay a damascus bolster on that and have it still all be fluted together.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I would be just as happy with a titanium scaled Millie 2. This would just have Titanium scales and use existing compression lock so would not be difficult to do for Spyderco but be unique and handsome. Doing a Golden frame lock may be too much to ask for
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Danke

Post by Danke »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:12 pm
There has not been a Ti PM2 yet.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:51 am
This isn’t in response to anyone in particular just in general but I think some people are missing the point of a commemorative anniversary knife like this.

It’s not meant to be a heavy user - they make thousands of those knives every year.

It’s not supposed to be more of the same with a tiny little “50” hidden on it somewhere.

It’s supposed to be special and meant to be commemorative. It’s supposed to be collectible!

If you don’t consider yourself a collector, then this one probably isn’t for you.

:respect :bug-white
I'm not sure there are stated limitations as to what an anniversary item is supposed to be, but "special and commemorative" is fine by me. That's quite subjective of course, and I don't think it rules out a heavy user. Whatever that is.

I don't use all the knives I collect, but I only collect users. Whatever Spyderco decides to make to celebrate their anniversary, I hope they do something truly special. It'll be fun to see what they come up with, and if I see a use case for it I may choose to collect it.
cjk

Post by cjk »

Some folks might not like me for pointing this out, but there's a Military 2 which will likely sell much better than the Military "1".
So, I figure the original Military's days are likely numbered.
A special 50th anniversary model would be a good send off for the original Military.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Danke wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:07 am
There was a fluted Ti PM2 prototype that “escaped” the Golden factory years ago. I have pics of it on my computer at home and will post them later when I track them down. Obviously the model never made it into production but given they made at least one go of it, I’m guessing a Military 2 version is doable. A fluted Ti PM2 would be equally cool to me!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
cjk

Post by cjk »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:26 pm
Danke wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:07 am
There was a fluted Ti PM2 prototype that “escaped” the Golden factory years ago. I have pics of it on my computer at home and will post them later when I track them down. Obviously the model never made it into production but given they made at least one go of it, I’m guessing a Military 2 version is doable. A fluted Ti PM2 would be equally cool to me!
I can think of at least 5 aftermarket scale makers who make titanium scales for the PM2, several of which make or have made fluted scales of one type or another.
I know some of them are working on Military 2 scales as well.