Spyderco spotted on Survivor!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Spyderco spotted on Survivor!

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Yesterday on Survivor season 46 host Jeff Probst busted out his personal knife to cut some contraband off the immunity idol. Was really cool to see his personal carry, a Spyderco Salt. I get that people all over the world own, carry and use Spyderco but it was cool and surprising to see one on the greatest reality show on tv.

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
sal

Re: Spyderco spotted on Survivor!

Post by sal »

Hi Cobra,

Thanx for sharing.

sal
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Its cool advertisement that he carry's a spydie.
But i do question his cutting technique because cutting something towards yourself isnt very smart....
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I don´t have a TV and so I never heard if this show - but cool, that the way it looks this Salt appearantly is a real user .

/ For those interested in Spydies on TV and in movies who might not be aware: I think there are two threads about this, I found only one though in a quick search:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67866
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Yup, saw the same thing and it was really cool…been watching Survivor since day one…it and Alone are the two best reality shows out there imo…when I rewound it I noticed how he was cutting so kinda makes me wonder how many times he’s cut himself or if someone else loaned him theirs…whoever it belongs to has definitely used it a lot though.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

apollo wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:56 am
Its cool advertisement that he carry's a spydie.
But i do question his cutting technique because cutting something towards yourself isnt very smart....
^^^🙄
Danke

Post by Danke »

I think folks are being confused by perspective. It looks like he's cutting to the outside of his left hand. He'd need a magic knife to cut himself.
Ryder

Post by Ryder »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:05 am
I don´t have a TV and so I never heard if this show - but cool, that the way it looks this Salt appearantly is a real user .
Well this show has been on for more than two and a half decades so that’s a long time with no TV but hats off for finding something else that’s probably more productive.

We have watched every season, missing several episodes while we were backpacking and traveling. The show has been on for so long that we were able to “watch” it by listening to it. Back then the syndicated TV stations had to be broadcast over radio waves and my multi band radio had not only AM, FM, Wx but also TV. So we listened at a high camp sitting on a log with a hundred mile view. Jeff announces the challenges so well and the show works well without a screen. We used to camp 50 nights a year.

When I saw him take out his Spyderco last night I was hoping someone could identify it. It does look well used and isn’t the first time he’s pulled it out on the show.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

It's unlikely that the prettyboy host with is perfect wardrobe, perfect lighting, and perfect camera angles would walk onto the set with his pockets bulging with personal belongings. I suspect the knife came from the prop master, or a gaffer who was sitting around sipping coffee.
Ryder

Post by Ryder »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:42 am
It's unlikely that the prettyboy host with is perfect wardrobe, perfect lighting, and perfect camera angles would walk onto the set with his pockets bulging with personal belongings. I suspect the knife came from the prop master, or a gaffer who was sitting around sipping coffee.
That’s one of the shirts he bought for the show over 20 years ago. He doesn’t buy a new wardrobe like ever. So while you are sitting the drinking your coffee and talking trash consider how likely how much veracity any of it contains.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Ryder wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:01 pm
That’s one of the shirts he bought for the show over 20 years ago.

I'll admit that I'm not a fanboy. I don't know the details about celebrities, what they wear, or where they shop.

However, I'm skeptical of your claim that the star is wearing a 20 year old shirt that he had to go out and buy himself. I looked it up. You're mistaken. Pictures from every season prove that he wears different shirts. The star originally wore Columbia shirts. They only came in limited colors, so they began dying the shirts according to the "look" required for each season. But that was the old days. Nowadays they make custom shirts for him--fancy custom-made shirts to complement his celebrity image.

But we're talking about a beat up old knife. My contention is that a star doesn't fill his baggy pockets with beat up bric-a-brac. So again, I googled on Probst. In all the pictures, his pants fit properly, and in none of the pictures were his pockets bulging. Nor did any of the pictures show the pocket clip from a knife. It appears that the evidence supports my contention that the knife is a prop or belongs to one of the crew. This is television. They spend millions to make it look real, but it's not. It's make believe. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble.

Now that I've confirmed the veracity of my claim to my own satisfaction, I'll go back to sipping coffee.
Have a fun afternoon, Ryder.
Ryder

Post by Ryder »

Nope, in a podcast he confirmed that he found the shirts in some shop early in the show and bought a bunch and still wears them. Perhaps he does have a couple others. So what. They don’t script the show and do one take and one take only. That’s always been their mindset from day one. I’ll take his word before someone sitting around musing up possible fantasy on the internet. So it’s more likely than not that the knife is his. Let’s face it. That knife isn’t going to make a pocket bulge. If you don’t know that and how Spydercos are designed to be unnoticed in the pocket as one moves through life then other statements with thin anecdotal to no evidence might be questionable too? Enjoy that coffee.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

what a silly thing to be arguing about.

it's cool that a spyderco, and such a great model at that, was featured on a show that so many watch. hopefully, more will take notice and purchase the same model and spyderco will also be more inclined to make more blacked out salts for those of us that like that kind of thing.

i'm still hoping for a black stretch 2 xl salt. 🤞🏼
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Danke

Post by Danke »

Those dang pretty boys always stealing the thunder from us ugly folk.
James Y

Post by James Y »

It's always fun when spotting a familiar knife model in a TV show or a movie, especially a Spyderco knife. Thanks for sharing.

As for Survivor, I personally don't watch it, and haven't actually seen it since maybe the year 2000 or so. But I'm glad that the host (or someone) has good taste in knives. Who cares if it’s actually his own knife or not? I'm not sure if much of the show's fan base really cares about any of the knives that may be shown onscreen (however briefly) or not, but any exposure of a knife being used in a utilitarian manner on a major production is good publicity.

Jim