Spyderco 50th Anniversary Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dazen

Re: Spyderco 50th Anniversary Knife?

Post by Dazen »

I would love to see a high end Salt knife.

Like a Futed Timascus Shaman with a polished/tumble Magnacut blade and a ZircTi backspacer and clip.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
cjk

Post by cjk »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:54 am
cjk wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:45 pm
Five-0 is slang for police, so how about a Police 4 model for the Spyderco 50th anniversary knife?
I like the way you think! Except i'd want a SS/Ti Police :)
Native and Delica has been done already, so..
EDIT: To my knowledge the Endura hasn't been done in a Anniversary model, and it is legendary, so a candidate in my book.
thanks! the Ti Endura is a really nice piece.
There have been a number of nicer Enduras.
It's about time the Endela got one too.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

What model it will be doesn’t really matters it just needs to be Sal’s personal choice.
What i do hope it will be is that i hope it to be more affordable then the 500€ Native last time.
It doesn’t need to be extremely fancy but it should not be a frn knife either.
And for me it needs to be PE i have no use nor do i have any urge to have serrations.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I agree with all of that, except the PE part. SE is a big part of Spyderco history.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

I think the 50th anniversary should commemorate a special edition SharpMaker; being as Spyderco, "First made things sharp, before making sharp things".
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

The C50 is a Centofante. A 50th Anniversary knife commemorating Spyderco and this huge achievement, plus a nod to one of their great collaborators, masters in their own right plus a tribute to how much Sal has been able to pull makers like Frank C. and many others in to express themselves with Sal’s backing.

If Spyderco really wants to flex its muscles, then another possibility is a fluted Ti Military 2.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
sal

Post by sal »

A lot of good suggestions, thanx. I also thought about a new model? I haven't had an opportunity to speak with Eric about any plans he might have for the 50th.

sal
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

I like the idea of the Worker Evolution Set in PE/SE made of Spy27 but if you’re thinking new model we’re all ears, it doesn’t really matter to me because I’m in whatever it is. 😉
Last edited by SaltyCaribbeanDfly on Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Agreed. A set with PE/SE would be great, but an all new model, showcasing how far a great company has come, might be even better.
apollo

Post by apollo »

cabfrank wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:56 pm
I agree with all of that, except the PE part. SE is a big part of Spyderco history.
Altough that is absalutely true.
Se just isnt popular the moment you get off this forum. The vast majority uses pe.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

apollo wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:59 am
cabfrank wrote:
Se just isnt popular the moment you get off this forum. The vast majority uses pe.
Yes, but imo that is mostly because:

a) there is a lot more PE out there than good SE

b) While pretty much everyone who likes/prefers SE has real and extensive experience with BOTH PE and SE, most (not all though) people who prefer PE don't have extensive experience with SE in the way that they gave SE a try in different models, patterns, steels, edge angles. Something usually people do with PE...

So I think an SE or at least combo edge anniversary knife could help in "opening" some peoples mind to this edge type... and good SE IS indeed a very spyderco-ish thing...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

It is. "Spyderedge'.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

apollo wrote:
cabfrank wrote:
Y
I can't disagree with you. I wish i could.
apollo

Post by apollo »

cabfrank wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:42 am
apollo wrote:
cabfrank wrote:
Y
I can't disagree with you. I wish i could.
I get that. It isnt fun if you like something and you feel like you are outnumbered. I also found it very sad for the se fans when so many models in se got discontinued. If it was me i would not have done that but i just would have screwed down there production numbers to a lower point so it would definetly sell out easily enough.
Although i do get why with all factorys working at 100% and so many new designs in the freezer something always have to make way.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I hope to see something useful, so it's at least a "worker" in spirit'. It's a lot easier for me to justify a working knife, than over the top materials that are just for looking at. Maybe add bolsters and micarta for a touch of style and throwback to days past, that would be nice enough to make it stand out. If I see damascus, zirconum or any of that fancy stuff it's probably a pass for me.
Maybe something new, but old. A design that went back in the drawer because the market wasn't considered right at the time, or it wasn't a viable business case because of manufacturing tech at time. That would excite me much more than something old just dressed up
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Whatever it is, it should be a piece obtainable by all.
Theres enough sprints, flash batches and dealer exclusives out there already. Those are too limiting to who can purchase.
Spyderco is , unless I'm reading the room wrong, about people. So keep it simple and obtainabl for them. Maybe engrave a 50 on the pm2s (with spy27 steel) for the entire anniversary year. Easy to produce for Spyderco and easier for the majority of us collectors to buy. Just my 2 cents
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:38 pm
A lot of good suggestions, thanx. I also thought about a new model? I haven't had an opportunity to speak with Eric about any plans he might have for the 50th.

sal

A new model would be really nice indeed.

Another option would be "new version / size of already popular model"

Can´t help, but there that "mid sized Native" comes to my mind again - Native being really popular, that "mid" or better "PM2 / Manix" size also, but not available in a Native yet, Golden made... sounds good to me personally for a Anniversary knife (below Kobolds "mock up" and pic from this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90338&start=40#p1546863)

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cjk

Post by cjk »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:18 am
sal wrote:

sal

Can´t help, but there that "mid sized Native" comes to my mind again - Native being really popular, that "mid" or better "PM2 / Manix" size also, but not available in a Native yet, Golden made... sounds good to me personally for a Anniversary knife (below Kobolds "mock up" and pic from this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90338&start=40#p1546863)

I would be more excited about this than anything else Spyderco might consider making, anniversary model or not.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

cjk wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:53 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:18 am
sal wrote:

sal

I would be more excited about this than anything else Spyderco might consider making, anniversary model or not.
That makes two of us and probably way more than two!!! 😉 👊
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

A calypso 3.5”
A size between the mid size jr. and large c54
:bug-red-white