Smock: new style pivot

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: Smock: new style pivot

Post by Sharp Guy »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:34 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:21 pm
On one hand I can appreciate CQI. On the other hand these rolling changes lessen the value of the pre-CQI models.
Or it could actually increase the collector value because it’s the original version that is no longer being made. ;)

For example, a collector might be willing to pay a little bit extra for a BNIB S30V PM2 or Para 3 because they’ve since been replaced by S45VN.
Yeah maybe (big maybe) years down the road. One example of what I mean. I have a first run Kapara. If I sold it today it would bring less than a CQI Kapara. I also have a second run Sage 5. It would also sell for less than a newer CQI Sage 5. Both of the knives I've mentioned have had the detents improved and ceramic detent balls added. Both function comparable to the CQI versions. I'm very happy with both knives and not actually interested in selling. I've just seen ads where the seller states the model in question is the newer CQI version and I've seen people ask if a knife for sale is the CQI version. So there's obviously more interest in the CQI versions
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:21 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:34 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:21 pm
On one hand I can appreciate CQI. On the other hand these rolling changes lessen the value of the pre-CQI models.
Or it could actually increase the collector value because it’s the original version that is no longer being made. ;)

For example, a collector might be willing to pay a little bit extra for a BNIB S30V PM2 or Para 3 because they’ve since been replaced by S45VN.
Yeah maybe (big maybe) years down the road. One example of what I mean. I have a first run Kapara. If I sold it today it would bring less than a CQI Kapara. I also have a second run Sage 5. It would also sell for less than a newer CQI Sage 5. Both of the knives I've mentioned have had the detents improved and ceramic detent balls added. Both function comparable to the CQI versions. I'm very happy with both knives and not actually interested in selling. I've just seen ads where the seller states the model in question is the newer CQI version and I've seen people ask if a knife for sale is the CQI version. So there's obviously more interest in the CQI versions
I understood what you meant and I wasn’t disagreeing in general. I was mostly just saying that this particular change might not devalue the original “non-CQI” version as much as first thought and could even have the opposite effect. Especially since it is just a cosmetic change.
-Nick :bug-red
sal

Post by sal »

Value is an interesting thing. Time helps. A 1958 Porsche Speedster sole fr $3100 when I was young. Now worth hundreds of thousands. Ever price a '57 Chevy? We sold our original Police model (PIG) for $50. The latest CQI Police is probably much improved, but...............

sal
Brant

Post by Brant »

They say looks are everything, and the new pivot looks great! Can’t wait to see where else it shows up.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:02 pm
Spyderco also highlighted the new pivot on their social media pages recently.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3yTxpBLYC7 ... 9leWtpcQ==

I like it, I think it looks cool.
I like it, too. Very handsome.
clinton1

Post by clinton1 »

Looks like a good reason to get another Smock! One of my favorites! Hope it comes out in a sprint or different steels!!!
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

If anyone finds any CF aftermarket scales for the new pivot please post it here. I’ve got one inbound and looking to swap them out.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

I already have a Smock in S30V. And even though the Smock is quickly moving up in my favorites (I really, really like its button lock that is not dependent upon a spring, plus its a great flipper) I will force myself to wait until another Sprint or Exclusive comes out.

It is too hard to determine if a CQI or pre-CQI Smock would come based upon what I can tell. Many of the photos are still pre-CQI.

I was just getting ready to drop some $$ on after market scales too. Glad I waited.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
Dreamtvt

Post by Dreamtvt »

A modded Smock with updated pivot screw. It’s hard finding scales with this new pivot screw. A Ti scale would feel really nice.
Attachments
IMG_0026.jpeg
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Dreamtvt:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Dreamtvt wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:37 am
A modded Smock
That looks sick. Awesome job!
- Richard
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Got some new goodies for the CQI smock. Thanks to RC Bladeworks for getting them done so fast.

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Dazen wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:32 am
Got some new goodies for the CQI smock. Thanks to RC Bladeworks for getting them done so fast.

Beautiful 👏👊
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:42 pm
Dazen wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:32 am

Beautiful 👏👊

Thanks! While the bright colors are fun for the moment I’m probably going to swap them out for some sort of CF eventually.
Dane