Knifejoy Exclusive...Slysz Bowie??!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdw

Re: Knifejoy Exclusive...Slysz Bowie??!!

Post by jdw »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:05 pm
spydie-fan wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:07 pm
Wasn't worth $300 back then, not worth $450 now
I agree. I passed on the SB when they were originally for sale. Not interested now. I have plenty of other Ti framelock knives that make me happy. However, the SB apparently makes a lot of other people happy. Obviously, based on this latest run, it's pretty obvious that plenty of people are willing to pay $450 for them. I don't understand how it's worth $450 but it doesn't matter since they sold out at that price

I remember passing at around $270. I think that my S90V Ti/CF Millie was around $200.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Danke

Post by Danke »

I'd think this is driven by FOMO/curiosity and an expectation scarcity will continue feeding high prices.

If it came back as a no holds barred sprint run instead of a dealer exclusive the price might come back in line with something like a Swayback but that'll still be in the $400 range.
Mister Coffee

Post by Mister Coffee »

Danke wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:18 am
I'd think this is driven by FOMO/curiosity and an expectation scarcity will continue feeding high prices.

If it came back as a no holds barred sprint run instead of a dealer exclusive the price might come back in line with something like a Swayback but that'll still be in the $400 range.

Why isn't the Slysz Bowie a permanent member of the Spyderco lineup? Too expensive to make? Too difficult to make? How well was it selling when it was originally introduced? Was it like hot cakes or was it a dog? The SpydieChef has been in continuous production and still sells. Is it that much easier to make?

If this question has been addressed already — and I'm thinking it must have been — please link me. Thanks.
Last edited by Mister Coffee on Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danke

Post by Danke »

Mister Coffee wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:15 pm
Danke wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:18 am

Why isn't the Slysz Bowie a permanent member of the Spyderco lineup? Too expensive to make? Too difficult to make? How well was it selling when it was originally introduced? Was it like hot cakes or was it a dog? The SpydieChef has been in continuous production and still sells. It it that much easier to make?

If this question has been addressed already — and I'm thinking it must have been — please link me. Thanks.
It's because no one bought it when it was in regular lineup.

It was "too expensive" at the old low price. Then after it was discontinued and blown out people fell in love.
Mister Coffee

Post by Mister Coffee »

Danke wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:24 pm

It was "too expensive" at the old low price. Then after it was discontinued and blown out people fell in love.

They sure would buy it now, though. Right?
Danke

Post by Danke »

Mister Coffee wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:00 pm
Danke wrote:

Yeah for sure, along with some gold and Microsoft stock.
Mister Coffee

Post by Mister Coffee »

Danke wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:11 pm
Mister Coffee wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:00 pm
Danke wrote:

Yeah for sure, along with some gold and Microsoft stock.

MSFT I bought at $36. You did, too. Right?
clinton1

Post by clinton1 »

Wish Spyderco was publicly traded.......😒

I'd buy it!
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Still doesn't explain why Spyderco doesn't do another run of the original, especially with the updated hardware. 2 runs of the KJ exclusive and it sold out fast, what proof does the company need more? People in this forum and all over social media have been asking for YEARS already to bring back the original. I don't believe Spyderco would just make some expensive updates on this knife just to let it rest on a dealer exclusive or two.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

nerdlock wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:31 am
Still doesn't explain why Spyderco doesn't do another run of the original, especially with the updated hardware. 2 runs of the KJ exclusive and it sold out fast, what proof does the company need more? People in this forum and all over social media have been asking for YEARS already to bring back the original. I don't believe Spyderco would just make some expensive updates on this knife just to let it rest on a dealer exclusive or two.
I've asked and we can expect exclusives, maybe sprint-runs but we won't see the Slysz Bowie back in standard production. And it can be understood. Maybe a new version someday ?
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Mister Coffee

Post by Mister Coffee »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:15 am
nerdlock wrote:
I've asked and we can expect exclusives, maybe sprint-runs but we won't see the Slysz Bowie back in standard production. And it can be understood. Maybe a new version someday ?

So, please do help us understand. What is the reason?
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Mister Coffee wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:23 am
Ramonade wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:15 am
nerdlock wrote:

So, please do help us understand. What is the reason?
It was not a good seller when in production. I don't have anymore info than that and the fact that it won't return into production. When I said it can be understood I implied that, if it wasn't a good seller why take any risk when Taïchung is already producing as much as they can knives that are flying of the shelves ? IMO the Slysz Bowie goes well with FOMO, but if it was always available it wouldn't be sough after that much.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Danke

Post by Danke »

Spyderco should re issue this knife with an exotic steel blade and a choice of finishes for both the blade and Ti scales. They should also always be in stock. Price of this new edition will be $195.00.

They'll just have to make all the other knives $20 more expensive to pick up the slack.
Fine Swine

Post by Fine Swine »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:14 am
IMO the Slysz Bowie goes well with FOMO, but if it was always available it wouldn't be sough after that much.
Agreed. The knife is, objectively, nothing special, and falls short of other knives in its price range. FOMO is the primary driver in all this.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

“Nothing special” yet longtime users and some CC members like myself who’ve had the option to try basically every model Spyderco’s ever made say that it might be the best model they ever put out (some of us did buy them long before they were discontinued too). Apparently the truth is somewhere in the middle… Everyone should make up their own opinion but if you haven’t held one, not sure how you could make any comments or conclusions about it. This knife was expensive when it came out, the knife world in general seems to have caught up in that respect (not just Spyderco).
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Just to be more precise : what I said has nothing to do with my opinion on the knife.
I just wanted to repeat what Eric said to me which is : we won't see it returning to production.

I was asking about a possible sprint-run because we would definitely love to be able to pay around 500€ to get one from an european dealer !

So, as long as sprint runs and exclusives are not definitely out of question, it is a small. Ictory to me :)

Danke

Post by Danke »

I'd try one out from a sprint run. Really like my Swayback and my Spidiechef.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

But the fact remains, the Bowie continues to sell out 2 runs into its KJ iteration, which many people would deem inferior to the OG version. How much more if an OG Bowie with the new improvements would be in demand among afis everywhere.

I just don't get the reason that it didn't sell as good as it should during its original run. Yes, that is true, but times do change and people's preferences change too. And the current meta is, Bowies are so much in demand that OG versions sell for insane prices and the exclusive sells out quickly enough to possibly warrant a third run.

I'm sorry, but it just seems that the management is too obstinate to see that the demand is there, but too proud to admit that, because "it didn't sell well the first time so we gotta stand by what we said that there won't be another run" despite sales figures and afi clamor showing another OG run is feasible.

We all have our own opinions and I can definitely respect folks saying that this knife to them is nothing special, that it isn't worth the hype or money, but fact remains - it continues to sell out. Say whatever you want about this knife, but at the end of the day, sales don't lie.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Fine Swine wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:37 pm
Ramonade wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:14 am
IMO the Slysz Bowie goes well with FOMO, but if it was always available it wouldn't be sough after that much.
Agreed. The knife is, objectively, nothing special, and falls short of other knives in its price range. FOMO is the primary driver in all this.

I'd readily agree with the FOMO sentiment, if the second run didn't sell out as quickly as it should, yet it did. Like I said earlier, sales don't lie.

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:08 pm
“Nothing special” yet longtime users and some CC members like myself who’ve had the option to try basically every model Spyderco’s ever made say that it might be the best model they ever put out (some of us did buy them long before they were discontinued too). Apparently the truth is somewhere in the middle… Everyone should make up their own opinion but if you haven’t held one, not sure how you could make any comments or conclusions about it. This knife was expensive when it came out, the knife world in general seems to have caught up in that respect (not just Spyderco).

This.

From what I can infer, some of the most critical (and sarcastically unhelpful to the spirit of this thread) voices of this knife in its OG iteration haven't had it, or tried it at all.
Nice marmot

Post by Nice marmot »

Well mine just came in. I gotta say it’s a very nice knife. I’m looking forward to carrying it. Pretty sure between my pen and keys the scales will have a nice patina by the end of the week.