Good knife friendly, reasonably priced cutting board

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
dullmaker

Good knife friendly, reasonably priced cutting board

Post by dullmaker »

I need a reasonably priced, knife friendly kitchen cutting board for a gift to go along with a Tojiro DP Gift Set of knives(Vivi's recommendation).
Thanks
Bruce
TomAiello

Re: Good knife friendly, reasonably priced cutting board

Post by TomAiello »

Making a cutting board is easy if you have some basic carpentry skills, and they make great personal gifts.

Example: https://www.woodcraft.com/products/wood ... aple-wenge

There are tons of cool cutting boards on Etsy too. I think they are mostly people building kits (like the link above) and selling them.
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CtoCWoodworks ... ile_header

After doing a ton of searching around for a cutting board to give as a gift I placed a custom order from this Etsy shop. The guys name is David and if you don't like any of his standard boards he's more than happy to do something custom both size or materials wise and his customer service is awesome. The board was absolutely gorgeous and craftsmanship is way above any mass produced "premium" boards I'd seen at local stores. It came well packed for shipping with an included tin of wax and instructions for care of the board. I don't know what your budget is, but I'd consider them very reasonable for the quality.
Windward

Post by Windward »

These are nothing fancy, but they work well and are cheap.
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/choice ... B1520.html
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

I use some some Teak Haus cutting boards from TJ Max with my White #1 Yoshimitsu Gyuto. These cover the cheap part of your request, but as far as "knife friendly" teak isn't usually regarded as the best wood for edge retention. I haven't had any issues with them, but my Yoshimitsu isn't a particularly fragile knife and I can't compare edge retention to anything better because these are the best I've got.

I'll be curious to see what other recommendations anyone has because I am looking for something thicker and better wood myself. Going the etsy route is seeming pretty tempting at this point.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
RLR

Post by RLR »

Although overpriced, the Boos boards are quite nice. I have a reversible one with a juice groove on one side, none on the other. One for meat, one for non-meat. Oil and wax cleans and protects. They will last forever. You can find them on sale now and again. Get a bigger board than you think you need. Then you can use it for pastry and stuff like that. I didn’t go for “grain up” versions but they are supposed to be even better.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Do you live near a Ross clothing store? The ones I've been in have a kitchenware aisle with all kinds and sizes of cutting boards. They're all discounted, too.

Some have pretty exotic looking wood with wild looking grain. I'm considered buying some and cutting them up for Mule Team scales.

Edit: I just read the post above about T.J. Max. T.J. and Ross are owned by the same parent company.
dullmaker

Post by dullmaker »

Thanks for the great tips. I’m gonna give them a plastic board for raw meats. The plastic meat boards can just go in the dishwasher. I’m still looking for a wood all purpose board. How do you sanitize your wood boards?
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

My wood boards just get soap and water and make sure that they dry completely before using for another task. The subject of cutting board cleanliness has been difficult for me to get solid information on, it seems that most peoples opinions are not backed by any sort of real scientific testing. The most thorough thing you can do is spray bleach on your boards every so often for a good sanitizing, but I have yet to do that. Doesn't mean it might not be a good idea, I just can't seem to get a solid answer on whether or not it actually helps much.

-- Old Norse proverb
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Wood boards are actually more sanitary than plastic boards. And 'raw' wood boards are more sanitary than varnished or coated wood. I've always wanted to do a stabilized wood cutting board, because it would look nice, but it would actually be less sanitary, so I haven't done it (yet).

https://www.allrecipes.com/wood-vs-plas ... rd-7495043#

There was an actual study done at the University of California about it. Let me see if I can find the academic paper.

I sanitize wood board with soap and water, and occasionally spray them down with something like 10% bleach or Force of Nature (https://www.forceofnatureclean.com/home ... gLNZ_D_BwE) which was recommended to me by a doctor.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

You guys got me motivated to replace my favorite cutting board. It's old. We've had it for decades, planed it down as needed, and it's just not optimum any more. Etsy had the best selection. I picked out a cherry board in exactly the correct dimensions that I want for a general-purpose quick-and-easy cutting board. The seller does laser engraving, but I wanted it plain. After it arrived, I slopped it up with some special cutting board oil. Then I gave it some tung oil. Tonight I used it for the first time. What can I say? It's a cutting board. I like it.
IMG_4864.jpg
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

How much did you pay for it and what dimensions? Looks like a smaller one, I think what I usually use is about 12 in. by 16 in. for the bulk of my tasks.

-- Old Norse proverb