Cold Steel Talk

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ykspydiefan

Re: Cold Steel Talk

Post by ykspydiefan »

I have no Cold Steel Knives to talk about, but I can do a little Cold Steel Talk.
IMG_20240224_104154857~2coldsteel.jpg
Both users...
IMG_20240224_104235718~2hurlbat.jpg
The Hurlbat, or Templar is very fun to throw. It is slippery as the handle is not really a handle. Everyone who has ever thrown this sticks it every time and likes it. I have done a very low side arm throw, tossing it like a frisbee and taken out grouse, in the past. The finish is surprisingly durable for being skimmed on gravel. The edge holds up too.
IMG_20240224_104325398sawback.jpg
The Latin Machete Saw Back was and is cheap. Cheap and a very good value. I chose a 24inch blade, this way I do not have to bend so much or stoop to cut low stuff. This blade has contacted rocks, it rolls.... Then you can fold it back out and sharpen it up. It sharpens easy and stays sharp enough to do a days hacking at willows to clear a trail. It came with a saw back, but the saw was not sharp and not very useful. I filed the teeth roughly like one might file the teeth on a chain saw and now it saws really well. Filing the teeth has turned it into a 2 for one tool. Sure, I would like a silky for real work. A Swede saw will beat this saw back too. But, 2 for 1 eh! 3 for if you live up north and use this machete for cutting snow block and building snow shelters.

In conclusion, Cold Steel makes at least one good thrower and one good saw back machete. Your results may vary.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I always wanted a sjambok
James Y

Post by James Y »

twinboysdad wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:11 am
I always wanted a sjambok

I own a couple of the older CS sjamboks with the rougher handle grip. One is shorter and one is longer. They are fun to practice hitting cardboard targets, cans, etc. I don't know how much actual stopping power they would have against a determined, aggressive man or large dog in a real-life situation, though.

Jim
270ultimate

Post by 270ultimate »

I always wanted a Defender 1, after Sgt. Barnes whipped one out.

And for some reason the Desperado always appealed to me.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Midway was running a coupon code today so I have an orange SRK in 3V coming. At under $100 shipped it's hard to beat.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Say Vivi you mentioned a few of the models that were even in the main line up all the way back to Cold Steel's "Carbon V" era. I can't help but bring up the really cool Gurkha Kukri models from that era. The Gurkha Kukri models from that era hold a special place in my blade loving heart. I still have all of them to this day. Even the factory seconds from that era were extremely handy and great for many applications.

There was also a 15 inch long Gurkha Kukri in their line up for a short time that had a blade 1/8th inch thick. I really loved that particular model because it was virtually like a small to medium sized sword. They only made it for a short time and I can't for the life of me remember the model name of that particular Gurkha. Also during the Cold Steel "Carbon V" era they had a 12 inch Gurkha with a blade 3/8th thick which I still take to the woods with me on occasion. It is a beast that commands respect.

I wish I could remember the names of those Gurkha models from that era. That was a really cool era during Cold Steel's history.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The only thing I have left that is Carbon V is a Recon Tanto.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I have a carbon V laredo bowie and a UWK. Wish they would do another run of UWKs in 3V. I've been carrying my old xl voyager a lot lately. A 5 inch blade at 5.25 oz is pretty good on my book.

vivi

Post by vivi »

VashHash wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:56 am
I have a carbon V laredo bowie and a UWK. Wish they would do another run of UWKs in 3V. I've been carrying my old xl voyager a lot lately. A 5 inch blade at 5.25 oz is pretty good on my book.

I think that's the best gen for EDC. Better clip and grippier scale texture VS the original integral clip versions. Handle texture isn't as abrasive as the current version and weight is down due to no liners.

The version I'm carrying has a little more edge and would probably win a head to head lock strength test, but it takes up a lot more pocket space and weighs a bit more.

I got one like yours from ThePeacant years ago. Wonder what he's been up to?
:unicorn
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

vivi wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:01 pm
VashHash wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:56 am

I think that's the best gen for EDC. Better clip and grippier scale texture VS the original integral clip versions. Handle texture isn't as abrasive as the current version and weight is down due to no liners.

The version I'm carrying has a little more edge and would probably win a head to head lock strength test, but it takes up a lot more pocket space and weighs a bit more.

I got one like yours from ThePeacant years ago. Wonder what he's been up to?
I totally agree with everything you said. I have 3 of the newer style XLs. Got em at a good price but they're so wide and bulky in the pocket. I sanded down the texturing on the newer ones to make them more comfortable. I keep the tanto in my vehicle but the bowie and recurve don't see much use. The added edge length isn't enough for me to want to carry the newer ones. Image

Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I don't like the new ones either.

The old ones are classics.

And MUCH better than the new ones.
James Y

Post by James Y »

One thing I have NEVER liked about Cold Steel folders is their pocket clips.

I did like the old Japanese-made Voyagers. I don’t own any of the Taiwan-made Voyagers.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:59 pm
One thing I have NEVER liked about Cold Steel folders is their pocket clips.

I did like the old Japanese-made Voyagers. I don’t own any of the Taiwan-made Voyagers.

Jim

Yeah they are brutal pants shredding objects. :rofl
vivi

Post by vivi »

the pocket clips are mostly good. the compact clips on voyagers and recon 1's work very well for me.

the issue is they have too much tension and no smooth patch on the scales.

I remove them and sand the scales a bit with 120 grit, then put the clip back on. Then I slide a few coins under the clip and leave it over night.

After that they work really well.

While the current Voyager XL's aren't as good for general EDC as the previous gen in many ways, they are amazing folding machetes. Having that extra bit of handle to choke back on is great for hacking through briars without getting my hand poked. I've cleared trails in the woods with nothing but a Voyager XL and $5 folding pruning saw.

The 4 Max has more mass and penetrates deeper when chopping into wood, but the extra reach the Voyager handle makes it safer to use for this role.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I bought an ad10 a couple years ago and have to say, it's become a top three folder In my 100+ folder collection. Super smooth action with no blade play, I can close w one hand, short powerful blade, carries well, great steel/heat treat and the most comfortable handle I own on a folder. (Large size hands)
I work construction and abuse this knife on a fairly regular basis and it just eats it up.
One recent example: I needed to remove material from the 2x4 block an electrician installed. I didn't have a chisel on me ( and was grumpy and impatient) so I battoned it with my ad10 and my 22oz estwing. It left a few marks on the spine from the waffle face of the hammer but no problem whatsoever. Hammered it in the end, twisted the knife and ripped the material off. Very fixed blade like. I smiled ear to ear.
The pocket clip is tight and a bit hard to get in/out of the pocket but in my job that's actually a good thing. I've had two spydercos come out of pocket and lost while working. I think their retention is good but i need more. I never worry with the ad10. Super secure and most of my work pants are ruined long before the clip shreds my pocket so no big deal.
I love my spydercos and have more of that brand than any other but for my work.......ad10 has become THE trusted companion. I can't say enough good about it.
If you need /want a knife under $300can that can handle being pounder into a 2x4 w a framing hammer, this is it. One day when I figure out how to post picts I'll do a comparison. My apologies to Vivi as he asked for a comparison a while back. Im working on it! Cheers
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

vivi wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:44 pm
the pocket clips are mostly good. the compact clips on voyagers and recon 1's work very well for me.

the issue is they have too much tension and no smooth patch on the scales.

I remove them and sand the scales a bit with 120 grit, then put the clip back on. Then I slide a few coins under the clip and leave it over night.

After that they work really well.

While the current Voyager XL's aren't as good for general EDC as the previous gen in many ways, they are amazing folding machetes. Having that extra bit of handle to choke back on is great for hacking through briars without getting my hand poked. I've cleared trails in the woods with nothing but a Voyager XL and $5 folding pruning saw.

The 4 Max has more mass and penetrates deeper when chopping into wood, but the extra reach the Voyager handle makes it safer to use for this role.
have you considered the rajah ii? it gives you the mass of a 4max, plus the better chopping profile of a khukri, and an even longer handle than the voyager. it's a really sweet knife. it's heavy and bulky, but only about 3oz more than the 4max scout. it's also usually around $80! 😳 definitely worth a look.

for reference

eta: i also meant to add that i'm actually considering a rajah iii because i like the rajah ii so much but can't carry it often. i realize it won't be a chopper and that kind of defeats the purpose, but it's still cool and the iii is on amazon for only $51 right now.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

the rajah is on my list. was gonna order one during midways last sale but opted for a frenzy instead. the rajah looks like it could come to dominate the pocket machete role. the handle looks a little less abrasive too which will be nice for times I'm not using gloves.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

vivi wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:20 am
the rajah is on my list. was gonna order one during midways last sale but opted for a frenzy instead. the rajah looks like it could come to dominate the pocket machete role. the handle looks a little less abrasive too which will be nice for times I'm not using gloves.
i will say that chopping with it was a little rough on my hands at the inside corner of the scales. it was fine, but uncomfortable. gloves would've made it a non-issue, but i've been thinking about just knocking those corners down a little and seeing if that does the trick.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

cold steel favorites...

tuff lite - this knife is really a great edc, especially if you are restricted to smaller blades. when i had to carry a knife smaller than 2.5", the tuff lite was a great yojimbo stand-in. in fact, i'd argue that it's better than either the lil native wharncliffe or microjimbo. it's got the ergos of a native (except with contoured scales), and the hollow grind of the yojimbo, combined with the bomb-proof triad lock. it even has an opening hole! the only downside of the knife is the clip position.

finn wolf - i bought this knife because i really wanted to try a folding scandi knife for the woods. i rarely carry it, but it's great for what i wanted and at a great value. pairs well with my vic rangergrip as a set of backup tools to larger, more robust versions.

4max scout - this knife is what the shaman wishes it was. it's bigger and badder in every way. for anything that doesn't need a tank, the manix is plenty tough. when you need a hard use folder, the 4max scout is probably the best value out there for a knife that is probably at the top edge of the limit for something you can reasonably carry. and vivi is right about the handle contours.

voyager tanto xl - i bought this knife to leave in my car for an urban survival scenario. if things turn ugly in town, i don't want a chopper. i want a sharpened prybar that is equally comfortable for defense and breaking through doors, etc. again, i don't use this one much since it's not legal for me to carry on me, but it's a comfort to know it's there, along with other urban implements of survival.

rajah ii - i've already posted about this one above, but i got the rajah ii to stay in my car just like the voyager, but for the wilderness option. if i have to head into the woods unexpectedly, i'd be reaching for the rajah. also of note, as great as the knife is for chopping, it's actually really comfortable to choke up and use the recurve for finer detail work. it's a great all-around knife, but the size and weight might make it a little too much for some.

ultimate hunter - i don't have this knife, but i've held one and wanted one for a while. i think it's a better knife than the american lawman and would be an excellent alternative to the 4max scout for people that wince at the idea of carrying a 10oz hog in their pocket. i'll get one eventually, but i haven't pulled the trigger yet. it seems like the perfect edc from cold steel and would be just as good in the wilds.

i have, and have had, other cold steel items that i like, but i'll leave it at that for now. you may notice that the only knife i've listed that really competes with what i would typically carry from spyderco is the one i don't have. most of these knives fill a void that spyderco just doesn't. i guess what i'm trying to say is that there's definitely room in the life of a spyderco fanatic to like cold steel as well.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Deleted