New(ish) Delica is covered in surface rust

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
w3tnz

Re: New(ish) Delica is covered in surface rust

Post by w3tnz »

swidgen wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:43 pm
EDIT: I didin't know this forum got so much action or I would have stayed on to answer every question. I also followed the directions of one of the posts to put up pictures. the knife is VG-10 no doubt and the rust is more than surface. I tried spraying it (soaking it0 WITH WD-40 and wrapping it with saran wrap and leaving it for a weak. it didn't help a bit. this knife is less than a year old. my last one made it minimum 10 years, but probably closer to 15 without a spec of rust, although lots of har ww=are and character.
Also. I cant for the life of me find where they responded that they had changed the formula of the VG-10 which is why it might be rusting. i wanna know what the **** is going on

Man, it looks like you rode it hard and put it away wet! Is that salt residue on the handle?

You will need something abrasive, try a polishing compound on a rag to start - autosol, mothers or similar. If that doesn’t cut it move up to steel wool or some fine sandpaper.
If you are comfortable disassembling it I would also recommend that as the rust is likely in the pivot and maybe liners also, good luck.
I see, said the blind man.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

If it’s any consolation my VG10 does that if I forget to spray it with marine tuf-glide after I clean it. It looks rough but with a rust eraser it comes straight off and is none the worse for wear after a touch up sharpening.

*edit - added a picture of the rust eraser. It doesn’t just do rust - it also cleans up sharpening stones really quickly of buildup.
Attachments
IMG_1357.jpeg
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Swidgen,

I concur that your Delica appears to have rusted after cutting something. The ricasso behind the plunge appears unaffected. Some Bar Keeper’s Friend should fix you right up.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bill1170 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:59 pm
Swidgen,

I concur that your Delica appears to have rusted after cutting something. The ricasso behind the plunge appears unaffected. Some Bar Keeper’s Friend should fix you right up.

That´s what I strongly assume too - but actually on one side (where VG10 is marked) the ricasso does show a bit of rust too. But it is actually on the left side, where a right handed person often tilts the knife towards matter that gets cut, so the ricasso there might have very well come in touch with whatever corrosive material too,
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)