Poll: Any Interest for Hitachi White MULE?!

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.

Any Interest for Hitachi White MULE?!

Yes; White #1
82%
Yes; White #2
5%
No Interest
13%

Total votes: 38

weeping minora

Poll: Any Interest for Hitachi White MULE?!

Post by weeping minora »

As per sal's request. Thread title says it all. I'm in for multiples of White #1.

What say y'all?
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
standy99

Re: Poll: Any Interest for Hitachi White MULE?!

Post by standy99 »

Would buy 2 for sure. :winking-tongue
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I might even be up for two of this one.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

Yes please.
Greg

* EDC - - - PM2 - S45VN, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Rockjumper - VG 10, Manix 2 LW - CPM M4

Mules in current use AEB-L and K294
Hatuletoh

Post by Hatuletoh »

Heck yeah. And I'd have selelected the option for "both" if that had been on the poll.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Shameless bump...

Has the interest already waned?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Weeping Minora,

That's why we didn't invest in the steel when it was requested earlier. We can make any steel that you want to test, taste, try, but there has to be enough of you to help us pay the bill.

I think that the Mule Team afi's are thinking in terms of, will this be a steel I'd want to use in a knife in the future"? Just my thought to share.

sal
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

Prior to Spyderco I wouldn’t even consider carbon steel or high carbon/hi alloy steel knives. My experience with carbon steel was a Case Trapper knife that my grandfather gave me and it was a patina/rust magnet. Yeah I was clueless on maintaining it.

Now my favorite knives are the carbon steel knives. Yes I have to sharpen them more often but they’re so easy to get sharp. Well ok except for CPM M4 and 15V they’re just plain evil, especially M4.

Wish more were interested I think it would be a great knife. Maybe a sprint run? Like the Delica 4. I bought the Delica 4 Blue Grey Zome with a Super Blue core and it’s become my 2nd most used knife even though it’s a limited sprint run collectors, most used PM2 S45VN.

Or a collaboration with a Japanese company that is well known in Japan and just needs an introduction in the states? Just brainstorming here cause I’d love to try a knife in this steel by a company that I trust to get the heat treat right. I’d prefer the mule but would settle for other options if possible?
Last edited by VandymanG on Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg

* EDC - - - PM2 - S45VN, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Rockjumper - VG 10, Manix 2 LW - CPM M4

hollowt1pz

Post by hollowt1pz »

sal wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:34 am
Hi Weeping Minora,

That's why we didn't invest in the steel when it was requested earlier. We can make any steel that you want to test, taste, try, but there has to be enough of you to help us pay the bill.

I think that the Mule Team afi's are thinking in terms of, will this be a steel I'd want to use in a knife in the future"? Just my thought to share.

sal
CPM MPL-1? I think you could get enough interest for it. Other damasteel alloys perhaps? Sandvik materials?

Just throwing out ideas 💡
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

sal wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:34 am
Hi Weeping Minora,

sal
Hi sal,

Thanx for chiming in.

I remember reading the initial ask for a White steel MULE (I want to say at least a decade ago..?), which fell far flat. It seems there is only a hint more interest nowadays. White steel may just be "too simple", to gain interest. If only the kitchen wares were more popular, I could see this being more appropriate for consideration.
FirstPenguin

Post by FirstPenguin »

Having a few kitchen knives in shirogami (White steel), I've come to appreciate it and think it would be very interesting to see the patinas that would develop on a Mule. Doubly so for a Blue #1 or Superblue version.
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

FirstPenguin wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:22 pm
Having a few kitchen knives in shirogami (White steel), I've come to appreciate it and think it would be very interesting to see the patinas that would develop on a Mule. Doubly so for a Blue #1 or Superblue version.
Most of my purchases lately have been carbon steel knives and I love them because of how they patina. I can’t remember if the visit to Spyderco in Golden, Colorado or the mules started my interested in carbon steel knives. I can get carbon steel sharper, than I can get stainless, and I love the toughness. I seem to worry less about rusting as I’ve learned how to take care of my knives. Every time I use a carbon steel knife now I look forward to how the use will patina the knife. Scratches on the knife blade??? = opportunity for new patina and creative patterns through use. So I went from not wanting to scratch up my pretty knives to looking forward to knife patina, wear and tear to tell an interesting story.
Greg