New(ish) Delica is covered in surface rust

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
swidgen

New(ish) Delica is covered in surface rust

Post by swidgen »

So I've had a Delica since my mid teens, then when they came out with the FFG Delica I insta purchased it and gave the old hollow grind to my dad. Both Knives were my EDC. I Think the newer FFG had been my EDC for at least 15 years (although i wont swear to that since i don't know when the Delica FFG first came out) but it was my EDC at minimum a decade.

Anyway, in September of 2022 I stupidly had it in my pocket boarding a plane. Security took it from me with no way of recovering it. Needless to say, I was heart broken, but what can you do.
a couple months later my wife asked what I wanted for Christmas and the obvious answer was a new Delica FFG. It took forever to get, and she paid a pretty penny for it as we are now in Australia, but finally in march of 2023 it arrived.

Recently on close inspection I noticed it was covered in surface rust. I contacted the warranty/sharpening team to make sure that the $5 USD would cover the return shipping to Aus and to ask why for like 25 years of Delicas I've never had an issue with rust, then all of the sudden it's everywhere on the new knife in under a year. She told me that they are using a slightly different steel these days (I though VG-10 was the steel and didn't realize it could vary)
Anyway, the $5 USD will cover the return shipping, although shipping to Colorado from australia will cost a fortune. However, I am hoping to go back to Canada in June for a wedding so I could send it to them while I'm there to save a few bucks on shipping

Still, to find out, that after all this time spyderco has altered the steel on one of their flagship products is disheartening and concerning. My other Spyderco is the pacific salt 2 in LC200N and after lots of time in the sea, swimming, snorkeling and diving it is rust free and holds an edge great for a rustproof knife

I've had my eye on one of the fancier Enduras, stainless or titanium handle, maybe Damascus, but with the most recent experience I'm not so sure

P.S. If you have read this whole thing, thank you for taking the time. it is much appreciated

EDIT: I didin't know this forum got so much action or I would have stayed on to answer every question. I also followed the directions of one of the posts to put up pictures. the knife is VG-10 no doubt and the rust is more than surface. I tried spraying it (soaking it0 WITH WD-40 and wrapping it with saran wrap and leaving it for a weak. it didn't help a bit. this knife is less than a year old. my last one made it minimum 10 years, but probably closer to 15 without a spec of rust, although lots of har ww=are and character.
Also. I cant for the life of me find where they responded that they had changed the formula of the VG-10 which is why it might be rusting. i wanna know what the **** is going on

Last edited by swidgen on Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Re: New(ish) Delica is covered in surface rust

Post by Wartstein »

Hey swidgen, it should be clearly marked on the heel of the blade which steel your Delica features!

Yes, the '"base" Delica model is still in VG10, Spyderco did NOT "alter" that, though perhaps they run it a bit harder these days than in earlier ones (just a guess, it sometimes seems to me that way) , which could also slightly affect corrosion resistance? Should not be really noticable though, but I am no expert.

But: Delicas came /come in a variety of steels, lately for example also in K390, which is clearly less rust proof than VG10. Could it be yours is in that steel? Does it have blue scales?

You also could post pics here (for a good way to do so, see here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=83968)

Lastly: If you cut something corrosive, VG10 can rust of course if not cleaned properly afterwards (did happen to me also with a Delica after I cut sheeps cheese that was kept in a salty liquid and did not wipe off the knife)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Danke

Post by Danke »

So the last knife I sent from Canada 9to Golden for a look left mid December and the new one was here at the start of Feb so you could probably ship it from here but you won't get it back in a week and I don't know if they ship to a different address than something was sent from.

Why not just oil it? I use Boeshield T-9 or Fireclean, or Break Free on any knife that's not very stainless.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

It is also possible that the rust you see is from surface contamination from the grinder. If they ground a non-stainless blade before grinding your stainless blade, particles of the non-stainless steel can be transferred from the grinding belt or wheel and lodge in the surface scratches on the stainless blade, giving the appearance of rust.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Having seen your pics now, I think you can polish it out with flitz and it will be fine. Not sure what happened but avoid leaving your knife in wet places for a long time and try to wipe off any nasty stuff on the blade like salt, acids, etc.
Last edited by spydergoat on Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Can we get some pictures?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Ranger000

Post by Ranger000 »

Why would you send the knife all the way back from Australia for "SURFACE RUST" !!??

That's like returning your car to the manufacturer to "GET WASHED" !!!

Use WD-40 or knife oil and wipe it off yourself !!!

https://www.amazon.com/Eraser-Maintenan ... B099RPFKB7
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Swidgen,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Ranger000 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:14 am
Why would you send the knife all the way back from Australia for "SURFACE RUST" !!??

That's like returning your car to the manufacturer to "GET WASHED" !!!

Use WD-40 or knife oil and wipe it off yourself !!!

https://www.amazon.com/Eraser-Maintenan ... B099RPFKB7
Exactly my thinking. I also think @Yablanowitz is right about the metal transfer.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Danke

Post by Danke »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:05 pm
It is also possible that the rust you see is from surface contamination from the grinder. If they ground a non-stainless blade before grinding your stainless blade, particles of the non-stainless steel can be transferred from the grinding belt or wheel and lodge in the surface scratches on the stainless blade, giving the appearance of rust.
Rusty LC200N

Cleaned off and never came back so very likely surface contamination.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Have sent knives to the US from Northern Australia for $20aud (larger hunting and Chef knives I make) so a Delica in a small satchel with some bubble wrap won’t be that expensive.

But for me a bit of Bar keepers Friend would do you straight.

Send me a PM and I can sort someone in Australia who could help you out if your down south.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
D-fens

Post by D-fens »

standy99 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:31 pm
Have sent knives to the US from Northern Australia for $20aud (larger hunting and Chef knives I make) so a Delica in a small satchel with some bubble wrap won’t be that expensive.

But for me a bit of Bar keepers Friend would do you straight.

Send me a PM and I can sort someone in Australia who could help you out if your down south.
I came here to say this too. Barkeepers friend, little bit of water with toothbrush. Works wonders. Something else some may be sleeping on...DLC coating....magic eraser. I use it once a week or so on my REC Para3 Avocado with a dab of KPL and makes it look brand new again.
:bug-red-white "D-Fens" :usflag
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

It could be something simple. Maybe you live near the shore now or have been around saltwater at some point.
swidgen

Post by swidgen »

I added pictures, will you please look again tell me when you think
swidgen

Post by swidgen »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:36 am
It could be something simple. Maybe you live near the shore now or have been around saltwater at some point.
I'm 20k inland and take my pacific salt anywhre near the bech or salt water. I added pictures, would you please look again and givr a second opinion
Danke

Post by Danke »

I would hit that with some Flitz and it should clean right up.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

swidgen wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:23 pm
I added pictures, will you please look again tell me when you think

Going by your first post the knife did not come like that from the factory, right? (I mean you would have noticed that amount of rust for sure right away, wouldn't you?)

Are you 100% certain that you or your wife or anyone else did not cut corrosive stuff at one point and not clean the Delica properly afterwards?
Looks a bit like that, though what speaks against my "theory" is that there is also rust on the ricasso where normally the blade does not come into contact with matter that gets cut.

Again, I don't think that they "changed the composition of VG10" so that it got noticably more rust prone - I have old and newer VG10 Spydies and never noticed such.
Though, as said: I sometimes do have a feeling that "newer" VG10 is run a bit harder, which could lead to a bit less corrosion resistance perhaps. No expert at all though.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Cookie or cake residue and not rust?

Something seems to have gotten on the blade. I'm betting it will wipe off with a wet soapy sponge.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ryder

Post by Ryder »

I used to live 10 miles (16 kilometers) inland during my senior year in Hollywood Florida. The salt sea air definitely invaded that far rusting everything including my new bicycle and its cables very quickly. Storms can easily take the salty sea air much further inland. I live in the desert now and find sweat very corrosive and regularly hike in all weathers with K390 a high end particle technology carbon tool steel. It rained on us earlier this week in a canyon we were exploring. I wipe my blade down with mineral oil once a week and wipe it down with a paper towel. Enough stays to prevent corrosion. I do let mine patina first and that doesn’t totally prevent it but does indeed help. In your case I’d just wipe it down with mineral oil and run with it. It is a tool to be used correctly but not babied.

Earlier this week in a southern Arizona canyon. You come out here you better have an edge. The meek ain’t gonna inherit nothing west of Chicago. Tap on the image to enlarge it.
IMG_4297.jpeg
IMG_4298.jpeg
We like to do some light foraging for curiosity and research and cutting plants can be very corrosive so be sure and wipe your blade down immediately after. London Rocket is in season right now. I pitted a brand new high end D2 blade on its first backpacking trip decades ago by slicing salami and not cleaning it immediately.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Because of the clearly defined rust line, it seems to have been something acidic or salty that you cut without cleaning it off afterwards. Maybe you cut a certain kind of acidic fruit?