Tanto blades

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mpgtsm

Tanto blades

Post by mpgtsm »

Does Spyderco only make tanto blades in limited runs for “Distributor Exclusives”? I want a black one. Are they all DLC, or are there any TCN? Black Cruwear or Magnacut would be nice. Maybe black micarta scales, but I’m not sure about that.
Manixguy@1994

Re: Tanto blades

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Spyderco has in the past for example the Lum Tanto in satin and black blade . At this time BladeHQ has done exclusive runs of the Tanto in different variants using the PM2 and if black was DLC . Hopefully a future exclusive will come out in the future . Secondary prices are painful . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Matus

Post by Matus »

I am not too crazy about tanto PM2 for some reason, but a Lum Tanto sprint re-run would be awesome. Not sure whether it would be possible though.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

mpgtsm wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:00 am
Does Spyderco only make tanto blades in limited runs for “Distributor Exclusives”? I want a black one. Are they all DLC, or are there any TCN? Black Cruwear or Magnacut would be nice. Maybe black micarta scales, but I’m not sure about that.
The unfortunate short answer is yes. Currently only the Tanto PM2 is in production, which is a great knife. But it's only available from BladeHQ, and they are sold out. It's a shame. The Tanto PM2 is a great design, I wasn't a fan of the Liner Lock Lum Tanto, but the PM2 is amazing. There might be more made in the future someday, but if the past is any indication they won't be widely advertised and will likely sell out fast.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Danke

Post by Danke »

Matus wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:54 am
I am not too crazy about tanto PM2 for some reason, but a Lum Tanto sprint re-run would be awesome. Not sure whether it would be possible though.
They've done it twice already but people grumbled a lot about the last one. It's a hard sell to put a run out that no one likes.

This was the first recent special edition.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

People complained less about the m390 one. Most of the complaints were around the lamination
Matus

Post by Matus »

Danke wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:44 am
They've done it twice already but people grumbled a lot about the last one. It's a hard sell to put a run out that no one likes.

[/quote]

I am not aware of the full details, but I recall there were technical issues with one of the sprint runs (blade wrapping?), in what case it is hard to wander that the customers may have been less then pleased. But if they could (did?) manage to irion out the issues, it would be a very cool knife to have.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Danke

Post by Danke »

Matus wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:22 pm
Danke wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:44 am
Matus wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:22 pm
I am not aware of the full details, but I recall there were technical issues with one of the sprint runs (blade wrapping?), in what case it is hard to wander that the customers may have been less then pleased. But if they could (did?) manage to irion out the issues, it would be a very cool knife to have.
It was the usual Seki stuff. Too expensive, didn't get updated with PB washers or bearings, Finish or grind was uneven. Letters in the Spyderco etch weren't evenly spaced out. PVD instead of DLC. Tip grind is wrong.

Usual stuff.
Last edited by Danke on Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mpgtsm

Post by mpgtsm »

It was the usual Seki stuff. Too expensive, didn't get updated with PB washers or bearings, Finish or grind was uneven. Letters in the Spyderco etch weren't evenly spaced out. PVD instead of DLC. Tip grind is wrong.

Usual stuff.
[/quote]

Every one I’ve seen, has a messed up grind. Real wide bevel at the tip. I’m sure it takes some effort to avoid that, but you would have to remove a lot of metal to correct it.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I would not steer anyone away from Spyderco’s Tanto folders, whether the Bob Lum model or the PM2 version, each fine in its own way.

Having both, I would, however, forewarn that these well-made EDC models bring with them a feature from Katana swords that are their inspiration.

This feature allows a Katana an instantaneous low/no-resistance exit from slashed material so that the next slash, or a defensive posture, can readied without delay.

In a typical EDC (no slashing), this instant loss of control of the material being/to be cut may prompt greater attention to compensate, and prove off-putting.

But if stabbing into sheet-metal, or defending against something fleshier is what you want your EDC to include, the thickness at the blade’s point, and its upswept not-so-sharp edge at the point will serve you.

All in all, though, I think Spyderco offers blade-shapes that are better for general utility and/or self-defense. Maybe that’s why the blade-shape is not commonly offered.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”