thoughts on a Spyderco Machete

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: thoughts on a Spyderco Machete

Post by vivi »

I don't think I'd be interested to be honest.

You can get an 18-24" tramontina for $10. Or a similar sized Cold Steel with sheath for $15-30.

Spyderco would not compete in that area, which means they would go for a more upscale design.

There we have a 16" Ontario machete with micarta scales for $50-80.

There's a very nice LT Wright Machete for just under $200.

Condor makes a wide variety of patterns in the $50-200 range.

I'm not really sure where a Spyderco machete would fit in here.

Hard, rust proof stainless steels wouldn't be the best choice for a tool like this. Soft steels that bend or roll when they take damage are a good choice here, and corrosion doesn't affect the edge as much as simply using the tool does.

the rock salt is a cool design but the 6.75" blade is about half the length of the smallest blades I'd consider for machete roles. I generally use 18-20" machetes. That'd be like using a Dragonfly as a chef knife.

I'd like to see Spyderco expand their offerings but in this particular role I'm not sure what their approach would be. What could they offer in terms of user machetes other companies do not already have covered?
:unicorn
James Y

Post by James Y »

I agree, it would be virtually impossible for Spyderco to be even gain any foothold in the machete market.

The most I might ever possibly consider spending on a machete would be a Baryonyx (sp?) machete. That looks like a versatile working tool at around $70.

Jim
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

My neighbor had a giant yucca that was up against the fence. I never cared for the tree. They're fine when they're well tended, but this one had been neglected by the previous property owner and it was out of control. The challenge of yuccas is that underground, they look like an inverted lightbulb with thousands of roots anchoring it into place. You can't just yank it out. And the "wood" is so wet and fibrous that it will gum up a chainsaw.

One day I heard a Twack! Twack! Twack! Twack! Twack! Twack! Twack! Twack! Twack! Twack! Twack! Twack! that went on for hours. One of the neighbor's workers was out there hacking away at the yucca with a machete. It looked like fun, and I thought for a moment that I should have a machete. The guy was out there all day, and some of the next, but he eventually got the yucca out.

As cool as might have looked, I accepted the fact that I would grow bored with the process after about ten minutes. There's no way I want to swing a big knife for a day and a half. I decided to stick to guns and leave the machetes to the certified and licensed gardeners.

ac384e10fc1e3809bc1fb44bb614c2e8.jpg
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

vivi wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:11 pm
Hard, rust proof stainless steels wouldn't be the best choice for a tool like this. Soft steels that bend or roll when they take damage are a good choice here, and corrosion doesn't affect the edge as much as simply using the tool does.
Excellent point on the hardness.

I really do love my Tramontina machetes. Cheap, work well, come with usable sheaths.

I have a no-name Chinese made machete I bought around 2000 from Home Depot that is really, really good. Put it thru a lot. The steel is slightly harder I think but it holds an edge really well. Great as long as you're hacking at green stuff.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:27 am
Naperville wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:12 pm
Machete is not a typical $30 machete. But when I saw how easily it went through decent sized saplings on YouTube I wanted one for self defense. I know that if somebody breaks in here, I can use it and it will not flex and bend, deflect, or fail on me.
I see. For that kind of usage the longer reach of a standard Latin 18” machete will get you a lot more reach. They are flexible, as are lots of light swords, but that isn’t a bad thing. The speed at which you can swing them and edge velocity of the edge at that distance is terrifyingly effective.

In any case, both a short chopper and a longer machete will cleave to the bone and stop there unless you very lucky with the angle of cut.

If you want to be able to lop off limbs, a cheap katana is mind blowingly effective. If I had to grab something in an emergency that wasn’t a firearm my $65 Chinese factory katana is my 2nd choice.
Yes, I agree, a katana is on my list as well as learning how to cut katami!!!!

Going to get that job back and then we will see.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:04 pm
I’ve been extremely happy with my $65 Musha off of Amazon.
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

Without a doubt, if there was a Spyderco machete with a Spydie hole in it, id be buying it. I've been looking for a good reason to love a machete. I use my Camillmus Carnivore 18" machete all the time prepping for hunting seasons. The blade steel sucks, as I've chipped off in many spots on tough brush. The thing has some serious heavy blade stock, though. That I like. Come on Sal, pull the trigger!

Here's the Carnivore:

ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i'd love a spyderco machete, but without a doubt, it would be far too expensive for me to actually buy. my ontario cutlass machete has served me quite well for the last ten years (aside from giving me the gift of ten stitches in my thumb), and my next large blade purchase is probably going to be a skrama.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:03 pm
Naperville wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:04 pm
I’ve been extremely happy with my $65 Musha off of Amazon.
Although more expensive I've heard very good things about Cold Steel's Katanas. They are good swords for beginners learning the ropes.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Many years ago at BLADE I was among a small group of people talking with Jeff Randall of ESEE Knives. He made the comment that people buying the fancy & expensive tree-beaters would be better served with a cheap machete. I also count Joe Flowers from Condor as a friend, and he is an encyclopedia of machete knowledge. I've got several Condor machetes in my garage that I use in the yard or took on camping trips. They get dinged or dull, I use a file, then an axe puck to sharpen it. I beat them like a rented mule & so far I only had one break after years of use - and it was only the tip, so it was still functionable.

A custom machete would be neat, but would it function better enough to justify the added expense?
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:23 pm
Although more expensive I've heard very good things about Cold Steel's Katanas. They are good swords for beginners learning the ropes.
I’ve heard good things as well, though they’re pretty pricy and there’s lots of competition in that price range.

Honestly I was not prepared for how good a $65 katana is. It doesn’t really make any sense getting a very usable sword for the price of a Tenacious LW.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:56 pm
Naperville wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:23 pm
I’ve heard good things as well, though they’re pretty pricy and there’s lots of competition in that price range.

Honestly I was not prepared for how good a $65 katana is. It doesn’t really make any sense getting a very usable sword for the price of a Tenacious LW.
That manufacturer is punching above his weight class!