Q Ball fix

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PoJay

Q Ball fix

Post by PoJay »

Has figured out a way to fix how difficult it is to close Spyderco Q Ball? I would love to change out the ball with a ball cage, like the Manix. I love the knife ergonomics, but it is nearly impossible to close one-handed. Do they sell shorter springs, or should I shorten the one in the knife? If I do that, I would like a backup spring, in case I screw it up...
Manixguy@1994

Re: Q Ball fix

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

PoJay wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:34 pm
Has figured out a way to fix how difficult it is to close Spyderco Q Ball? I would love to change out the ball with a ball cage, like the Manix. I love the knife ergonomics, but it is nearly impossible to close one-handed. Do they sell shorter springs, or should I shorten the one in the knife? If I do that, I would like a backup spring, in case I screw it up...
Welcome the Forum . If you do a search you will find information on this subject . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Shorten your existing spring.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Somebody here was 3d printing a manix style cage…
PoJay

Post by PoJay »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:20 pm
PoJay wrote:
Welcome the Forum . If you do a search you will find information on this subject . MG2
Thanks. Due to the nature of the name, searches cut out the Q and I end up getting a ton of ball bearing threads. I will keep trying. Appreciate the welcome. I have already gotten quite a bit of useful information. Cheers.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi PoJay,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

PoJay wrote:
Has figured out a way to fix how difficult it is to close Spyderco Q Ball?

Here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89999 is a thread I found in a quick search that appearantly offers some tips (just quickly browsed though it myself, did not really thoroughly read it)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

The Q ball is an excellent knife design, in fact one of my favorites. But the lock design is horrendously implemented, I mean on a scale of 1-10 (10 being worst) it’s a 25. I’ll go as far to say that it is the worst knife spyderco has ever sold based solely on the lock being beyond terrible.

I’d buy three of these right now if it had a manix cage lock instead of the too small slippery marble. Although my wish would be to have spyderco rework the lock mechanism I doubt it will ever happen given Saul’s comments to others’ complaints and criticism on it in the past.
PoJay

Post by PoJay »

Rinzler wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:36 pm
The Q ball is an excellent knife design, in fact one of my favorites. But the lock design is horrendously implemented, I mean on a scale of 1-10 (10 being worst) it’s a 25. I’ll go as far to say that it is the worst knife spyderco has ever sold based solely on the lock being beyond terrible.

I’d buy three of these right now if it had a manix cage lock instead of the too small slippery marble. Although my wish would be to have spyderco rework the lock mechanism I doubt it will ever happen given Saul’s comments to others’ complaints and criticism on it in the past.
This is hilarious and I completely agree. The overall looks and opening action is excellent. I love the Wharncliffe blade shape and the full back spacer. But that **** ball lock is so very bad.
Danke

Post by Danke »

Is the Q Ball opening the same, better, or worse than a Dodo?
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Danke wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:56 pm
Is the Q Ball opening the same, better, or worse than a Dodo?
I've never handled them at the save time, but I think the dodo has a more generously sized bevel/opening than the qball that allows for easier access to the ball bearing but I may be misremembering. Anyone who owns both care to chime in?
garret

Post by garret »

I only have a dodo, its action is a little worse than a manix, the cage helps a little in the action
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I love the BBL implementation on the Viele Phoenix, but didn't like it on the Q-ball.

I agree that the Q-ball is a great design that is hampered by the lock implementation. Functionally I prefer the CBBL of the Manix II. Aesthetically (visual and haptic), the steel BBL/ plunger assembly of the Phoenix rocks!