MT40P HIC testing (Warning extreme testing)

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
standy99

MT40P HIC testing (Warning extreme testing)

Post by standy99 »

This guy done some torture tests with a Mule

Aluminium Can
Can of beans
Cutting wire

And

Finally a brick

Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
JestersHK

Re: MT40P HIC testing (Warning extreme testing)

Post by JestersHK »

Well I guess I won't be chopping up bricks with the new mule. I don't really social media, but did he explain the performance up until breakage?
Cle808

Post by Cle808 »

I watched all his IG testing on the HIC mule. Its still tougher than previous ceramics used for Knifes. In the end its still ceramic so proper use will be important to keep it from chipping.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Aw man, I had a pile of bricks laid out just to cut up with an inappropriate tool.👀

Props for going extreme tho.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
bobartig

Post by bobartig »

How do you watch this video? Like for real?
standy99

Post by standy99 »

bobartig wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:12 pm
Instagram….he has a few of them as listed above.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The guy is an absolute tool (we've talked), but nice of him to donate a knife to science even if it's for clicks.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
hollowt1pz

Post by hollowt1pz »

Just got mine and I'm running CATRA on the stock edge - I have to sharpen it to keep it from tearing to get any accurate readings and I don't have two to do any toughness testing. But am I the only one that thinks this stuff cuts like titanium?
hollowt1pz

Post by hollowt1pz »

standy99 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:17 am
bobartig wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:12 pm
Instagram….he has a few of them as listed above.
Link to the social media page as it wasn't really answered >

https://www.instagram.com/pm2og/

Can we get some of the physical properties of this material without breaking any legalities? :shush :zipper
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear hollowt1pz:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
hollowt1pz

Post by hollowt1pz »

Hi Mike! I'm Mike! Hahaha. I appreciate the introduction! Pretty new to Spyderco stuff, got a Sage 1 in Maxamet® (don't sue me cartech! Ha) a while ago and turned me onto you guys. I'll say that I like your heat treatments and appreciate how you guys actually will experiment with very uncommon alloys, not to speak out of turn or anything, but if you asked me that would be your "brand" I suppose. I have to admit that I am not necessarily new to.. metals and machining, my family and friends have been in the industry with US Steel before it went kaput, as well as my best friend owning a machine shop. So I know a few people that have access to the special equipment for testing and I'm sure you guys at Spyderco have a CATRA edge retention tester, I know a guy who knows a guy that also has one. So, I sharpened the HIC mule to a 40° inclusive flat edge using a Work sharp fixed angle. It was very very dull from the factory, which isn't a complaint at all but I used 600 grit and I'm very interested in where this stuff will place in comparison to everything that is tested on the website knifesteelnerds. Which is an excellent resource for anyone looking to expand their knowledge universe, I highly recommend ! If I can do that here, if not I apologize I'm not linking or advertising it.

I'm looking to get a furnace to test different heat treatments etcetera. Are you guys going to release more of these HIC mules in the future? Or is that an unknown or unable to tell us?

Thanks,
- Michael Stash
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

hollowt1pz wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:06 am
Hi Mike! I'm Mike! Hahaha. I appreciate the introduction! Pretty new to Spyderco stuff, got a Sage 1 in Maxamet® (don't sue me cartech! Ha) a while ago and turned me onto you guys. I'll say that I like your heat treatments and appreciate how you guys actually will experiment with very uncommon alloys, not to speak out of turn or anything, but if you asked me that would be your "brand" I suppose. I have to admit that I am not necessarily new to.. metals and machining, my family and friends have been in the industry with US Steel before it went kaput, as well as my best friend owning a machine shop. So I know a few people that have access to the special equipment for testing and I'm sure you guys at Spyderco have a CATRA edge retention tester, I know a guy who knows a guy that also has one. So, I sharpened the HIC mule to a 40° inclusive flat edge using a Work sharp fixed angle. It was very very dull from the factory, which isn't a complaint at all but I used 600 grit and I'm very interested in where this stuff will place in comparison to everything that is tested on the website knifesteelnerds. Which is an excellent resource for anyone looking to expand their knowledge universe, I highly recommend ! If I can do that here, if not I apologize I'm not linking or advertising it.

I'm looking to get a furnace to test different heat treatments etcetera. Are you guys going to release more of these HIC mules in the future? Or is that an unknown or unable to tell us?

Thanks,
- Michael Stash
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=96200
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
hollowt1pz

Post by hollowt1pz »

weeping minora wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:24 pm
hollowt1pz wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:06 am

Thanks,
- Michael Stash
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=96200

I saw that and got confused that it was released the 7th, whether that meant.. that release ones or others.No, I didn't think. Thanks for making me look like an idiot man!😉 Thanks for the answer also.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

hollowt1pz wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:01 pm
weeping minora wrote:

I saw that and got confused that it was released the 7th, whether that meant.. that release ones or others.No, I didn't think. Thanks for making me look like an idiot man!😉 Thanks for the answer also.
You did just join the forum, so welcome aboard! I see the confusion, as Kristi posted that thread the same day the MULE was released, but it was indeed in regards to an additional (re)stock once the initial run had sold out that afternoon. Rest assured, there will be more! I wouldn't be surprised to see a few waves of available stock for this MULE.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
hollowt1pz

Post by hollowt1pz »

weeping minora wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:24 pm
hollowt1pz wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:01 pm
weeping minora wrote:

You did just join the forum, so welcome aboard! I see the confusion, as Kristi posted that thread the same day the MULE was released, but it was indeed in regards to an additional (re)stock once the initial run had sold out that afternoon. Rest assured, there will be more! I wouldn't be surprised to see a few waves of available stock for this MULE.
Yeah, we'll use that one as the excuse for my ineptness at common sense... :cheap-sunglasses

Thanks for the welcome also!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I've been carrying one for a few days, using it like I usually do a new Mule. I have not succeded in getting it shaving sharp, but got it to an acceptable working edge which holds up very well. It does seem to be a tad fragile for my normal use, though.

Cutting out caulking like I do a lot, must have put more lateral pressure on it than I intended. It's going to take a while to sharpen that out.
hollowt1pz

Post by hollowt1pz »

yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:17 am
I've been carrying one for a few days, using it like I usually do a new Mule. I have not succeded in getting it shaving sharp, but got it to an acceptable working edge which holds up very well. It does seem to be a tad fragile for my normal use, though.

Cutting out caulking like I do a lot, must have put more lateral pressure on it than I intended. It's going to take a while to sharpen that out.
Hmm . Age of caulk please and thank you sir?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

hollowt1pz wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:26 pm
yablanowitz wrote:

Uncertain, but likely 10 to 12 years. Joint between countertop backsplash and sheetrock wall.
hollowt1pz

Post by hollowt1pz »

yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:20 pm
hollowt1pz wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:26 pm
yablanowitz wrote:

Uncertain, but likely 10 to 12 years. Joint between countertop backsplash and sheetrock wall.

So kinda in the sweet spot of being hard and tough - gives me a relative idea of what I'm expecting thanks brother 🤝
Nottoby

Re: MT40P HhasIC testing (Warning extreme testing)

Post by Nottoby »

Has any one seen the guy battoning a mule it is lmpressive check it out on utube