I have an axe to grind. Confession of an X addict

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Re: I have an axe to grind. Confession of an X addict

Post by MacLaren »

Wow, Joe! Thanks!
That's excellent 411 my friend
vivi

Post by vivi »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:39 pm
Many years ago the US Forest Service put out a super good, comprehensive video and book both done by an expert named Bernie Weisgerber>> who by the way was at one time an active member on this Forum. The video and book are both entitled "An Ax To Grind". Not sure if you can still get them or not but I did talk to a friend who told me that the video was available on Youtube. Not sure if it's still there or not though.

Mr. Weisgerber showed everything from hanging an ax handle to proper sharpening and overall maintenance. I was extremely fortunate to have gotten both the book and video. While the video I have is on ancient VHS format but I got it out of storage and it still plays just like it did a few years back. You all might want to check it out. Th
part 1 - https://youtu.be/IHmTLDG5aSg

part 2 - https://youtu.be/uYNHWH6ipic

thanks for the suggestion. im gonna check them out. half hour long each fyi.
:unicorn
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Thanks Vivi! 🙏
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

vivi wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:01 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:39 pm
Many years ago the US Forest Service put out a super good, comprehensive video and book both done by an expert named Bernie Weisgerber>> who by the way was at one time an active member on this Forum. The video and book are both entitled "An Ax To Grind". Not sure if you can still get them or not but I did talk to a friend who told me that the video was available on Youtube. Not sure if it's still there or not though.

Mr. Weisgerber showed everything from hanging an ax handle to proper sharpening and overall maintenance. I was extremely fortunate to have gotten both the book and video. While the video I have is on ancient VHS format but I got it out of storage and it still plays just like it did a few years back. You all might want to check it out. Th
part 1 - https://youtu.be/IHmTLDG5aSg

part 2 - https://youtu.be/uYNHWH6ipic

thanks for the suggestion. im gonna check them out. half hour long each fyi.
Always glad to be of help anytime guys. I just got off the phone with that one buddy of mine who turned me on to that video several years ago. He said that book by Bernie Weisgerber is available through the US Forest Service for a small fee. It was free when I got many years ago. But the book and video both are outstanding. Now it also used to be available on PDF format at one time and I'm not sure if it still is or not. That guy Bernie Weisgerber really knows what he's talking about.

I'm hoping that Brother "Enactive" has more to share concerning Swedish made axes. I've heard that Grandfors Bruks quality is extremely good.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Imma gettin me a Husqvarna Axe! 🪓 🪓 🪓
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:09 pm
MAC if you find a good dealer for Huskies and/or Grandfors Bruks either one or both let us know. Because every vendor I've checked with in the past few months wants full flaming retail on those Grandfors Bruks axes. I've talked to 3 people that own and have used them and they swear they are the best ax out there bar none.

I've also wondered if there are good German axes out there. Because the Germans seem to have superb metallurgy in almost every application.
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

I like using smaller hatchets over larger knives most of the time and my favourites are the red beech handled Gränsfors Bruk. I have the small hatchet, the wildlife hatchet and the large carver all with red beech handles. I prefer them over the usual hickory because of their more oval shaped shafts and the large knob. For me, they're most accurate, comfortable and safer.

For a larger axe, my favourites are the Wetterling Les Stroud Bushman or their Hudson Bay. I like the GB Scandinavian too.

Splitting, I do some of that but don't do larger rings so I use a smaller axe, the GB Splitting Hatchet. I did get the big splitting maul but it was complete overkill for me and I only used it once. For kindling I have my father's old Kent Pattern hatchet, which I put a new Gedore Ochsenkopf ash handle on. If you want a top quality spare handle, I'd recommend them. I also got three spare hickory handles for my old 2 & 3lb club hammers and my 14lb sledge. They absolutely brilliant - although I cheated a bit when shafting them and used my little Black and Decker power file sander rather than doing it all by hand as the hickory was tough going! Finished off with a few coats of boiled linseed oil with care they'll last a lifetime.

Mark
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Joe, I sent you a PM. Unfortunately I don't know any retailer selling GB at a lower price. I think the Husqvarna axes equal GB in quality of manufacturing, but not finishing-- and at a lower price.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:18 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:09 pm
MAC if you find a good dealer for Huskies and/or Grandfors Bruks either one or both let us know. Because every vendor I've checked with in the past few months wants full flaming retail on those Grandfors Bruks axes. I've talked to 3 people that own and have used them and they swear they are the best ax out there bar none.

I've also wondered if there are good German axes out there. Because the Germans seem to have superb metallurgy in almost every application.
I may just have a guy, Joe.
He's my dealer for Husqvarna Chainsaws - he's actually in New York. But, he has the best prices ever on chainsaws.
Lemme see what he says....gimme a day...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Seriously folks I want all you guys and gals ( if any) to check out that video by Bernie Weisgerber entitled "AN AX TO GRIND" on youtube. Brother VIVI has provided us with a link for each half hour section.

It's one of the most thorough and detailed teaching videos I've ever seen on any subject. There is just so much common horse-sense involved in the use of axes, hatchets and hawks.

And I agree with the one Brother that speaks highly of hatchets. I won't go deer hunting without at least a couple of them in my gear. They are an excellent tool to use during field dressing jobs especially. Great Thread!!!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Sorry fellas, Spike (Bob) retired late last year!
The last saw I bought from Spike was in 2018 - a Husqvarna 562xp - I shouldve figured he would be getting ready to retire soon.
Oh, the name.of his business was Ashoken Turf & Timber
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

No longer have any axes to grind. Somehow they somehow mysteriously disappeared. The only thing I have left is an old Buck Hatchet in my collection. Skinned and broke down many a deer in my youth with it.
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

The "An axe to grind" videos were a good watch! I have an axe I'll be trying to sharpen up hear soon. I have to do a bit of chip removal, then a bit of reprofiling, and then obviously the edge. We'll see how it goes.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb