We need a small fixed blade Ronin, like “Enuff-Ronin”

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Polecat

We need a small fixed blade Ronin, like “Enuff-Ronin”

Post by Polecat »

Would love smaller fixed blade Ronin, with FRN, jimping, great steel, and minimist Taco sheath.

Loving my new microjimbo!

Dave
mikey177

Re: We need a small fixed blade Ronin, like “Enuff-Ronin”

Post by mikey177 »

I'd be in for a Micronin.

Something similar in size to a Bradford Guardian 3 would be good. Or maybe an Enuff with a more pointy tip. The Swick could be an already available alternative, though it has a totally different feel to the Ronin.
ronin guardian3 enuff swick.jpg
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Polecat wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:29 pm
Would love smaller fixed blade Ronin, with FRN, jimping, great steel, and minimist Taco sheath.

Loving my new microjimbo!
Congrats on the new MicroJimbo 👍🏼

As for a smaller version of the Ronin, the closest thing you can get outside of chopping down the blade of your Ronin is probably the Fusion, a design collaboration between Fred Perrin (designer of the Street Bowie, Street Beat, and Subway Bowie) & Yojimbo/Ronin designer Michael Janich. It's a neck knife in 440C steel that basically pairs a Perrin Le Bowie-style handle (characterized by a pronounced index finger groove) with a Yojimbo/Ronin-style wharncliffe blade. The knife is about 1.25" shorter in overall length than the Ronin and is produced in limited numbers by Max Knives (which is based in Perrin's native France, IIRC). It comes with a paracord handle and a pancake Kydex sheath but otherwise seems to fit what you're looking for.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Don’t have the energy to rephrase myself, so I’ll just quote myself -
Mushroom wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:21 am
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:22 am
I personally woulda called it a minjimbo, doesn’t really feel like a micro category sized knife
In the past, Michael Janich has expanded on how the Microjimbo was named. He did not want to use the “Lil” prefix and his preference was for the nomenclature often used by the gun industry. (Standard, Compact, Sub-Compact, and Micro)

I think “Microjimbo” works well in this instance. To me it sounds better than any combination of “Yojimbo” and “compact.” Also, in relation to the other knives in its family, it’s the smallest version and there likely won’t be a smaller one.

———

Speaking of “Micro” Janich designs, Mr. Janich recently showed off a smaller version of the Ronin fixed blade that he received as a gift from Mickey Yurco at Blade Show this past summer. I think a “Micronin” would be a perfect name for it, if Spyderco ever produced it. :grin-squint

First, it uses the same preferred naming convention used by the gun industry. Second, “Mic-” could be a shortened nod to “Mickey Yurco.” Third, combining “Micro” with “Ronin” is a clever play on words in similar fashion to the Yojumbo name.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CtK2MxgsWje ... M2ODFkZg==
-Nick :bug-red
sal

Post by sal »

Eric said he was working with Mike on some fixed blades. Maybe when Mike see's this thread he'll have more info. I was the one that asked Mike to design a smaller Yojimbo and he he worked on it for quite a while before he was satisfied. Then he delivered in typical Janich fashion with well thought out function and style.

sal
Ferruginous

Post by Ferruginous »

I would love an original Ronin. It's smaller than the Ronin 2.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, All:

Thank you for your interest in a smaller Ronin. I have some ideas and will start working in earnest on a design after I return from the upcoming IWA show in Germany.

Stay safe,

Mike
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Michael Janich wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:07 am
Hey, All:

Thank you for your interest in a smaller Ronin. I have some ideas and will start working in earnest on a design after I return from the upcoming IWA show in Germany.
This is awesome news!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Ferruginous wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:34 am
I would love an original Ronin. It's smaller than the Ronin 2.
I'd love to see a sprint of this. Wonder if Snody being a part of that design would make that any tougher to bring back.....
:unicorn