S110v to delicate more of a safe queen???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fsflex1985

Re: S110v to delicate more of a safe queen???

Post by Fsflex1985 »

Yeah man I never had issues with my other steels the lc200n was.good to me and 20cv no issues when I used this knife lightly I was bummed out with the steel got me.thinking if I could hard use this messing around carving or.cuttint some boxes or fillet a fish in a jam
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

You can. I had a s110v military for a long time I used for whatever and sold it to a friend of mine. It’s still going. I tipped my s30v mili within the first week on something similar to what you did. Just sharpen it and use it!

I have a g10 native 5 with liners, s110v blade AND it’s been reground to .010” BTE so it is an absolute lazer beam. It’s my recycling knife. I don’t carry it, it just sits out around the house ready for any cardboard and plastic and anything else I grab it for.

Pics or it didn’t happen? That’s a 15 DPS bevel so you know it thinnnn!

- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

prndltech wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:56 pm

I have a g10 native 5 with liners, s110v blade AND it’s been reground to .010” BTE so it is an absolute lazer beam. It’s my recycling knife. I don’t carry it, it just sits out around the house ready for any cardboard and plastic and anything else I grab it for.

Oh that's nice.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

prndltech wrote:
I have a g10 native 5 with liners, s110v blade AND it’s been reground to .010” BTE so it is an absolute lazer beam.

Wow!! Like a folding razor with S110V blade. Sweet.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

:smiling-hearts

Now if spydies just came that way…
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Fsflex1985

Post by Fsflex1985 »

👍
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

Ramonade wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:56 am
We can call putting lateral forces on the apex "user error", but there's some cutting tasks that are very hard to complete without such motions
Definitely…and I’ve had one or two incidents over the years with some of my crazier, more brittle steels. But hey, that’s what I signed up for 🤷‍♂️
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

prndltech wrote:
You can. I had a s110v military for a long time I used for whatever and sold it to a friend of mine. It’s still going. I tipped my s30v mili within the first week on something similar to what you did. Just sharpen it and use it!

When I was having my friend build me a belt grinder, that's the main image I had in mind. Regrinding all of my Natives ! :squinting-tongue
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Flash

Post by Flash »

I think unless you are using S110V in a controlled environment without the risk of connecting the edge against anything approaching hard, then S30V or S90V is the far better option for general use.

Unless there is a way of improving the stability of its microstructure by way of bestowing it with a more advanced heat treatment process, I don’t see S110V as a practical option for me.
Jesla

Post by Jesla »

I carry S110v everyday. I have a half dozen or so S110v Spyderco. I use two flat stones, an ultra fine Spyderco stone and a 600 grit diamond plate. I’ve carried at least one of these knives everyday for a very long time. Never… I’ll repeat that.. Never had the any of the issues that are often repeated here. Often by those who have never tried it, but are subject to the internet herd mentality. I have well over 50yrs of playing with knives and this is one of the best steels I’ve used and it’s incredibly stainless.

Ok… carry on… awaiting the inevitable backlash….
Whatever turns you on, cupcake.
Still plays with knives…
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

Jesla wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:12 am
I carry S110v everyday. I have a half dozen or so S110v Spyderco. I use two flat stones, an ultra fine Spyderco stone and a 600 grit diamond plate. I’ve carried at least one of these knives everyday for a very long time. Never… I’ll repeat that.. Never had the any of the issues that are often repeated here. Often by those who have never tried it, but are subject to the internet herd mentality. I have well over 50yrs of playing with knives and this is one of the best steels I’ve used and it’s incredibly stainless.

This was the first time I used S110V in the field. I unfortunately chose it for hunting/gutting deer last fall. I got the blade lightly into some rib bones with the tip and the edge was destroyed in one single use. It easily sharpened out, but I can attest that it is a horrible choice for game cleaning and field use unless you like sharpening back S110V for a living. Im surprised using it for your specified usage, that you haven't had a problem yet. A staple or anything metallic will ding it. If you're opening letters with it all day I guess it would be ok. Its barely tough enough for that IMO and any lateral pressure on the edge is a no no.

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

jmj3esq wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:26 am
Jesla wrote:

This was the first time I used S110V in the field. I unfortunately chose it for hunting/gutting deer last fall. I got the blade lightly into some rib bones with the tip and the edge was destroyed in one single use. It easily sharpened out, but I can attest that it is a horrible choice for game cleaning and field use unless you like sharpening back S110V for a living. Im surprised using it for your specified usage, that you haven't had a problem yet. A staple or anything metallic will ding it. If you're opening letters with it all day I guess it would be ok. Its barely tough enough for that IMO and any lateral pressure on the edge is a no no.

Is that the factory edge? The reason I ask, years ago I used my K390 Endela cutting some old duct mastic and duct tape (the metal ductwork kind). It tore up the edge and looked very similar to that. I wrote it up as the steel (factory edge). After sharpening it, I have never had those issues. In fact, K390 has in my experience shown to be the best edge performer for me. Takes the least amount of damage and holds the edge the best. My limited experience with S110V has been all post sharpening. I sharpened my Military once I received it. The worst it has seen is cutting carpet against concrete and it did surprisingly well.

So just curious if that is a factory edge. I believe (someone correct me please) that Spyderco sharpens on a wheel. That would mean factory edges are a slight concave. Great cutters, but not nescessarily the most durable edge. Hand sharpening can give the edge a slight convex edge. Logically, I would tend to think the latter is more durable.

All that said, for what you are doing, I still would probably pick something similar to K390.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

It was the factory edge, and yes, I have heard similar advice regarding sharpening the factory edge to expose fresh steel.

I have since hand sharpened the chips out and it now has a beautiful mirror. I have not used it since I have resharpened it since I'm not using it as my outdoor knife any longer.

I still don't think this is the steel for outdoor use. There is just too much lateral force on the blade edge out there in day to day moderate/heavy use.

For comparison, I gutted my last deer with my Shaman S30V with a factory edge. It performed much better at this task and had no chipping at all when I was finished.
Fsflex1985

Post by Fsflex1985 »

Yeah this is mybfirst military and I opted for s110v it was a good deal but the more I used it for simple task I became weary of accidental chipping ....I will take the factory edge off and see if it becomes stronger the edge
Urkilnmesmalls

Post by Urkilnmesmalls »

Jesla wrote:

I have only one s110v spyderco. It’s the PM2. I’ve used it quite hard and I will have to second your experiences. It’s been a joy for me. I’ve heard the horror stories and haven’t found them to be worth repeating with my sample of one. My only gripe with s110v is that I don’t have a para 3 in it yet. I hope the bodacious gets it too
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I suggest you resharpen it a few times to completely remove steel behind the factory edge. See Outpost76’s channel on Youtube. He has proven time and again that he only gets stable and long lasting edges on most steels after 3–4 complete sharpenings.

If you still get durability issues, increase the edge angle until it stabilise.

I have this Manix in the garage. It has a very thin convex, with a 20 dps micro bevel, and I have never had it chip. I do not abuse it because it is thin, but I honestly did not expect it to perfom so well.

The one drawback about S110V is that it loses it’s fine edge very quickly in my experience, but then keeps a working edge for a long time. I prefer S90V.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

I’ve used my s110v military since they came out, in fact i carried it for two years straight everyday and used for everything I can use a knife for and never had any chipping issues. To me it just performs like a hopped up s30v with crazy edge retention and awesome corrosion resistance. I would recommend learning how to strop if you don’t already, and touch it up from time to time. It’s not “hard” to sharpen but it does take a while to get the edge back if you let it get totally dull. Not trying to discount anyone’s experiences, but sometimes things get said on forums based on a single experience that spin out of control and somehow become gospel within the community. Anyway I think it’s a fantastic steel and to have it be in regular production knives with little extra cost is an awesome luxury, and just another great thing about this company.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

T-1000 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:40 pm
I’ve used my s110v military since they came out, in fact i carried it for two years straight everyday and used for everything I can use a knife for and never had any chipping issues. To me it just performs like a hopped up s30v with crazy edge retention and awesome corrosion resistance. I would recommend learning how to strop if you don’t already, and touch it up from time to time. It’s not “hard” to sharpen but it does take a while to get the edge back if you let it get totally dull. Not trying to discount anyone’s experiences, but sometimes things get said on forums based on a single experience that spin out of control and somehow become gospel within the community. Anyway I think it’s a fantastic steel and to have it be in regular production knives with little extra cost is an awesome luxury, and just another great thing about this company.
I totally agree. S110V has been a versatile, durable EDC blade steel for me. It does lose a fine edge quickly and now I give mine a coarser edge for more lasting aggression.
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

This steel is very unique.

I sharpened mine at 17 DPS on diamond plates for the Edge Pro, which was a pretty close match to the factory bevel. Microbeveled with Shapton Glass 2k, then on to 5 micron diamond loaded leather strop, and finished on bare leather. Edge would pop off arm hairs and easily push cut newsprint.

That high level of sharpness was lost pretty quickly when taken through several yards of cardboard. I was surprised it seemed to lose its initial sharpness as quick (or possibly even quicker) than some other steels like K390, M390, and even S30V. After some more cutting, it became clear that once the edge "settled" into its working sharpness, it could probably cut cardboard for the next year without any appreciable dulling.

I took it to my EF DMT plate to bring back that shaving sharpness and found it somewhat difficult. I got it back to shaving after some work, but it took longer than I would've liked, and the edge wasn't where I wanted it to be.

The steel seems to be suited for those who need, or are content with, a working edge for a long time between sharpenings. For people like me who prefer that high level of sharpness all the time, other steels are preferable.

All that said, I didn't see any chipping or noticeable deformation of the edge.
Spyderbot_matrix

Post by Spyderbot_matrix »

I like my Manix LW and Native 5 s110v. Mine are sharp and I already sharpened the Manix. I’ll report back after a year of use- I’ve roughed up a vg-10 endura and a 20cv so hopefully i leaned my lessons to not abuse my s110v 😅