Stretch 2 v Stretch 2 LW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: Stretch 2 v Stretch 2 LW

Post by ladybug93 »

spyderco seems to refer to frn/frcp models as lw, regardless of weight. look at the lil temp lw... 3.8 oz versus the 4 oz standard version.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:26 am
@Wartstein...Gernot, explain the difference between the Stretch 1 and Stretch 2. The S2 has a larger and deeper choil and a longer actual grip area, if I am not mistaken.

Doc, I will!
But a bit later when I am back home where I have comparison pics.
...The differences you mention are correct, but there are more.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:05 pm
spyderco seems to refer to frn/frcp models as lw, regardless of weight. look at the lil temp lw... 3.8 oz versus the 4 oz standard version.

Also true for the Tenacious "lightweight": At 3.8 not really (though a bit lighter than the G10 version with its 4.2).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:16 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:39 pm

I think there's a better way to categorize LW than just individual opinion. You could consider what's LW or not...

This is an aspect where the Stretch 1 does "better": Gives you a 3.2" cutting edge plus a choil for 3.4 oz

Or, if one wants a similarily sized Seki knife with liners but lighter: Endela, 3.1 oz, so not much heavier than a Manix 2 LW, but with a bit more cutting edge.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:47 pm
Bolster wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:16 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:39 pm

I think there's a better way to categorize LW than just individual opinion. You could consider what's LW or not...

This is an aspect where the Stretch 1 does "better": Gives you a 3.2" cutting edge plus a choil for 3.4 oz

Or, if one wants a similarily sized Seki knife with liners but lighter: Endela, 3.1 oz, so not much heavier than a Manix 2 LW, but with a bit more cutting edge.

Good points.

Regards the blade:weight ratio, the Stretch 1 in Carbon Fiber yields .90, and in FRN yields 1.03 (higher means more blade for the weight). So yeah, the FRN Stretch 1 is actually somewhat lighter weight for its size.

For comparison, the really LW ratio models begin (in my opinion) around a ratio of 1.25. For example, the Native Chief LW has a ratio of 1.29, and the Pac Salt LC an amazing ratio of 1.46. I'm not aware of anything that beats the UK Penknife LW at 1.76. (These ratios are not standardized; they're derived by dividing blade length in inches by ounces of weight.)
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Doc Dan wrote:
@Wartstein...Gernot, explain the difference between the Stretch 1 and Stretch 2. The S2 has a larger and deeper choil and a longer actual grip area, if I am not mistaken.
Image Doc here is a comparison shot of the Stretch family , thought I would help Gernot and others with a visual . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:57 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Image Doc here is a comparison shot of the Stretch family , thought I would help Gernot and others with a visual . Dan
Thanks! S1 on top, S2 in the middle, SXL Salt on the bottom. The S1 has a shallow, barely curved choil on the tang, while the S2 has a more pronounced finger choil on the tang. The S1 has more of a hook on the pommel and the S2 has less and has a longer grip. The S1 came only in the drop point hunting blade, while the S2 comes in straight spine clip point.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:

Here you go Doc - I´ll just copy and paste a reply of mine from another, older thread and post (that one https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.ph ... 0#p1754089)

Old comparison pic of Stretch 1 / straight spine Stretch 2 / "regular" blade shape Stretch 2

- Stretch 1 having a more compact handle but still more cutting edge (knives lined up at where the edge begins, a square on the paper is 5 mm)

- Stretch 1 having a shorter, but actually a bit wider radiuessed choil

- Stretch 1 having an a bit pointier tip than the original blade shape Stretch 2 (best compromise for me between that and the very pointy straight spine tip)

- Stretch 1 with that pronounced pinky hook: Very nice, as long as your hand still fits the handle (mine, L to XL, does no problem)

- Sidenote: The straight spine Stretch 2 offers more edge than the "original" Stretch 2 (but stilll less than the Stretch 1):
For one the ss has an a hair longer blade, plus the blade part of its choil is shorter (eats up less cutting edge)

Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Thank you! If it weren't for the smaller handle the S1 would be the best. It is a little cramped for me, which is why I never bought one. I do have the SSS2.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Love the sss2
:bug-red-white
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:12 am
Thank you! If it weren't for the smaller handle the S1 would be the best. It is a little cramped for me, which is why I never bought one. I do have the SSS2.
Yes, I can recall that...I always thought since the Manix is ok for your hand, the Stretch 1 should be too, since it actually even offers a tiny bit more grip area behind the choil.

But you already explained to me in another thread that this is not the case - I think due to the different shapes of the handle ends on Manix and Stretch 1 (?)
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

Comparing apple to apple, below is a Stretch 1 and 2 in ZDP-189. Different steels may be slightly different in the hundredths of an inch. XL numbers not included.

The Stretch 1 has a more pronounced pinky catch, but a shorter handle. Even with the shorter handle, the Stretch 1 has a longer blade and more edge. The Stretch 2 has a deeper blade (edge to spine), but it is less thick so is actually a better slicer.

Stretch 1 Stretch 2
    3.4 oz Weight 3.7 oz
      7.938" Total Length 8.16"
        4.438" Closed Length 4.72"
          3.5" Blade Length 3.45"
            3.188" Edge Length 2.98"
              .125" Blade Thickness .118"

As someone who carried and used the Stretch 1 for about 10 years as an EDC, I consider it to be a great knife. I prefer the 1 to the 2, but have come to like the 2 also. I do not have any XL versions (yet), but I really like the original Stretch spine design and prefer it to the straight spine.
              Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
              Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
              Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:31 am
              Doc Dan wrote:
              Yes, I can recall that...I always thought since the Manix is ok for your hand, the Stretch 1 should be too, since it actually even offers a tiny bit more grip area behind the choil.

But you already explained to me in another thread that this is not the case - I think due to the different shapes of the handle ends on Manix and Stretch 1 (?)
              My hand does ride the end of the handle, even on a Manix. However, the Manix handle is shaped a lot differently than the one on the S1. Those differences mean more comfort for my particular hand. The S2 is a different thing altogether. I can actually get my hand on the knife.

NRA Life Member
              Spydernation 0050
              Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
              Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:30 pm
              Wartstein wrote:
              Doc Dan wrote:

My hand does ride the end of the handle, even on a Manix. However, the Manix handle is shaped a lot differently than the one on the S1. Those differences mean more comfort for my particular hand. The S2 is a different thing altogether. I can actually get my hand on the knife.
              Makes sense! Hand "geometries" really have all kinds of shapes..

For my (L to XL) hand both the Manix 2 and the Stretch 1 fit like tight gloves behind the choil, the Manix even a tad tighter, but both should not be any shorter concerning that grip area (which means they give me a really locked in feel in the current shape, but no excess space whatsoever).

The Stretch 2 is a perfect choice indeed for even-bigger-hands - clearly more grip area to work with than for example also a PM2 (I say this cause some call the Stretch 2 a "backlock PM2" which imo it is not - it has several advantages over the PM2 (for me at least), like the thinnner blade, the long, straight edge section instead of a continuous curve, the backlock itself, the improved ergos due to closed back, chamfered FRN and no comp.lock cutout, and, as said, more grip area)
              Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
              Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:50 am
              Doc Dan wrote:
              Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:30 pm
              Wartstein wrote:
              Doc Dan wrote:

Makes sense! Hand "geometries" really have all kinds of shapes..

For my (L to XL) hand both the Manix 2 and the Stretch 1 fit like tight gloves behind the choil, the Manix even a tad tighter, but both should not be any shorter concerning that grip area (which means they give me a really locked in feel in the current shape, but no excess space whatsoever).

The Stretch 2 is a perfect choice indeed for even-bigger-hands - clearly more grip area to work with than for example also a PM2 (I say this cause some call the Stretch 2 a "backlock PM2" which imo it is not - it has several advantages over the PM2 (for me at least), like the thinnner blade, the long, straight edge section instead of a continuous curve, the backlock itself, the improved ergos due to closed back, chamfered FRN and no comp.lock cutout, and, as said, more grip area)
              Even with the S2 there is no extra room, but it works for me. The S1 simply didn't. I, too, prefer the S2 over the PM2. The PM2 is another one that is too small for my hand because of the butt/pommel curl. Did I mention I hate that? The one on the Delica is good, but I really don't like it and feel it is an unnecessarily encumbrance.

NRA Life Member
              Spydernation 0050
              James Y

Post by James Y »

The other day, I had a dream that I had purchased a new Stretch XL Salt in PE. At first I was pleased with my purchase, but as the dream progressed, I realized the last third of the edge as it sweeps up towards the tip wasn't sharpened at all, and oddly, had some serious dents in it. Then I was thinking, "Why did I choose PE?"

I know; meaningless dream, meaningless post. Carry on...

🙂

Jim
              kriezek

Post by kriezek »

James Y wrote:
              Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:09 am
              The other day, I had a dream that I had purchased a new Stretch XL Salt in PE. At first I was pleased with my purchase, but as the dream progressed, I realized the last third of the edge as it sweeps up towards the tip wasn't sharpened at all, and oddly, had some serious dents in it. Then I was thinking, "Why did I choose PE?"

I know; meaningless dream, meaningless post. Carry on...

🙂

Jim
              I had a dream where the nice curved spine Stretch blade was offered in some different steels. While Magnacut is not likely an option, SPY27 or S35VN surely could be offered in Japan? Or maybe a CruWear version of the Stretch?

Seems like the PM2 is the Baskin Robbins of knives with 31 flavors of steel while the Stretch has been 6 short of a dozen in its regular size. ',:-|

Stretch - VG-10, ZDP-189, Hap40, SuperBlue, V-Toku/Sus10
              Stretch 2 - VG-10, ZDP-189, K390
              Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2