S110v to delicate more of a safe queen???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fsflex1985

S110v to delicate more of a safe queen???

Post by Fsflex1985 »

Just got the s110v military from bladehq back in December as a gift and in less than 2 months I have broken off the fine needle tip from cutting the plastic of my ice container which is soft plastic and I chipped the blade edge near the top a sliver just from hitting into a glass dish next to wear I was slicing.....I'm I just a reckless knife enthusiasts or should I be worried using this knife on tougher task....like cutting card board lol?
Attachments
Screenshot_20240215_202049_Gallery.jpg
Bub360

Re: S110v to delicate more of a safe queen???

Post by Bub360 »

I use my s110v Manix to cut cardboard all the time, just be careful for staples
Fsflex1985

Post by Fsflex1985 »

This is my first experience with this steel never had much issues with my other spydies. When I lost the fine needle like factory tip i was like it happens but the little sliver from the edge tip later on I began to wonder if the steel was poorly heat treated
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

My guess would be fatigued steel at the edge from factory sharpening. I've beat the heck out of my S110V Military, including using for drywall repair work. Sharpen it and go on about your business.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Used my old Military to cut out carpet on a slab floor. Had no issues. It was hand sharpened by a goofball, so probably had a good convex edge to it.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

If you draw a graph showing the strength of the knife blade along its length, you'll see that as you get closer to the tip, the strength approaches zero. There are only a few choices available: bend it, chip it, wear it away, or don't use it.

Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

It's not the toughest steel around but it can work quite well. I run my edges quite thin and don't have many problems, but I am a bit careful with S110V.

Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

S110V gets better with time, just like me.
I chipped the very tip of my S110V Native 5 LW 15 minutes after unboxing it and cutting I-don't-remember-what. After a good reprofiling and a few sharpenings, I noticed a good difference in the frequency at which chipping occured.

Geometry helps (Bump it up from 15°/side to 17°/side) but there's more to it when you apply your own edge. Cutting stuff like plastic containers for objects usually means a lot of twisting around corners with the tip, it can mistakenly apply a good amount of lateral force, something steels like S110V and Maxamet aren't fond of, sadly.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Fsflex1985

Post by Fsflex1985 »

Thanks gentleman I appreciate the real world input on this steel. My mind is at ease knowing I can penetrate into thicker material without breakage...🤯
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

S110V is actually a really practical steel for certain use cases (it’s my personal favorite high vanadium stainless).

Its best use is as a highly, highly stainless EDC slicer. It’ll definitely get a little brittle on you if you encounter hard objects…that’s more the realm of tool steels. But if you’re mostly messing with packages and stuff like that, it’s a great steel. On a side note, I find it easier to sharpen than people let on. My S110V knives come up screaming sharp with my usual regimen of diamond plates, etc.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

I don't recommend it for gutting/cleaning deer. It does not fare well on bone.
Last edited by jmj3esq on Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Manifestgtr wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:09 am
S110V is actually a really practical steel for certain use cases (it’s my personal favorite high vanadium stainless).

Its best use is as a highly, highly stainless EDC slicer. It’ll definitely get a little brittle on you if you encounter hard objects…that’s more the realm of tool steels. But if you’re mostly messing with packages and stuff like that, it’s a great steel. On a side note, I find it easier to sharpen than people let on. My S110V knives come up screaming sharp with my usual regimen of diamond plates, etc.

This ^. IMHO the best way to use such a steel is for pure cutting tasks, clean slicing and not cutting that involves twisting the wrist and all. We can call putting lateral forces on the apex "user error", but there's some cutting tasks that are very hard to complete without such motions
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I use s110v all the time. Great steel and I always wondered why people don't like it more. It's not super tough but I don't care. Its in a pocket knife not a chopper. As long as I don't put a really thin edge on it, it's great. I find i can say the same thing about most steel. Super stainless and holds a toothy edge. Cheers
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I don't think there's anything wrong with the steel - the tip geometry on the Military is extremely fine so care is needed regardless of the steel used - and bumping the edge into glass will damage any steel.

Welcome to the Forum!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Fsflex1985

Post by Fsflex1985 »

I got the big picture now for a moment there starting to belive that I was jinxed with the blupurple monster....began to question if I should have gotten the benchmade freek with m4 steel thicker tip and all. But after hearing everyone's take on the super steel I feel much better. My parnioa has gone!!! Thnx
Erich

Post by Erich »

"Hitting a glass dish"

That'll do it to S30V, let alone s110v.

S110V is a hyper brittle steel. Invest in a jig system and grind out a new edge.
Fsflex1985

Post by Fsflex1985 »

Yeah I'm starting to understand the importance of a good knife sharpening system I only have the spyderco triangle set usually works good on the lc200 and 20cv
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

IMG_6845.jpeg
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Fsflex,

Welcome to our forum.

Glass is harder than steel and will usually damage an edge or tip if hit.

sal
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I used a Manix LW in S110V as my primary work knife for several years at the tail end of my construction career. It worked very well, never taking critical damage in that time. I kept it keen at 15 dps on the brown SM rods.