Bodacious Update?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ferruginous

Bodacious Update?

Post by Ferruginous »

Sorry to be impatient, but are there any updates regarding the Bodacious?

I've never been so excited about a folder's release. I've carried a Military (S30V, S110V, and 52100) since 2005 or so, and I believe that the Bodacious will be replacing my Military as my EDC utility/steak knife.
kennethsime

Re: Bodacious Update?

Post by kennethsime »

Nope.

It’s coming.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Your biggest chance at an update is probably next week at the Amsterdam meet.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I think if I remember correctly there was an issue with the scales to be used on the Bodacious. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ferruginous wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:18 pm
Sorry to be impatient, but are there any updates regarding the Bodacious?

I've never been so excited about a folder's release. I've carried a Military (S30V, S110V, and 52100) since 2005 or so, and I believe that the Bodacious will be replacing my Military as my EDC utility/steak knife.

First: No idea about updates, sorry!

Then: Funny to muse about how Millie and Bodacious compare - generally, as "utility knives" and as "steak knives"

- For an utility knife (like in more universal EDC) I think I´d take the Bodacious over the Millie 2 (but not over the Millie 1 due to its great liner lock which for me also means normally better ergos than a comp.lock offers):
More compact carry (though a bit heavier), not that much less actual cutting edge (4mm), no hump, stronger tip (in several vids they point out that the tip of the Bodacious is deliberately kept a bit beefier)

- For a Steak knife and generally a food prep knife: Millie, no doubt.
Longer edge and longer blade means more efficient cutting in that capacity, keeps the pivot further away from the food that gets cut, and perhaps allows for more clearance for the hand and/or being able to use more of the actual edge on a plate or board.
Also, though thicker blade stock, I think in the front part of the blade the Millie might be a better slicer due to the longer tapering and finer tip.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Are we there yet? 😉
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
sal

Post by sal »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:44 am
I think if I remember correctly there was an issue with the scales to be used on the Bodacious. MG2

Correct. Being sorted. FYI, when a glitch crops up, it's usually a back to square one to fix it. That's why we don't like to give due dates, until we know the product is right. This means, it is as designed.

sal
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:53 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:44 am

Correct. Being sorted. FYI, when a glitch crops up, it's usually a back to square one to fix it. That's why we don't like to give due dates, until we know the product is right. This means, it is as designed.

sal
Thank you!
- Richard
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

Just wanted to share that I think this is a really beautiful design for a working tool. The diagonal grind taper over the opening hole is such a nice touch. The handle-forward on this one looks like the most well executed of any model yet. I'm excited to see them out there. I cannot justify the cost anytime soon, but can imagine any number of future combos that might be enough to overcome the barrier. Likelier still to jump during a major sale. I wish this wasn't the case, because this knife looks like it just cannot miss and deserves to be widely enjoyed. Looking forward to hearing your feedback once they're out
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

bleasure wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:27 pm
Just wanted to share that I think this is a really beautiful design for a working tool.
At a $260 street price this is pretty firmly out of the “working tool” category. It does look nice though.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

... I´d so love to see this obviously great design with a backlock... :smirk

(Though tbh: Not sure if a backlock AND that tall blade would fit in that handle. "Blade tallness to handle tallness ratio" is clearly something where comp.lock and linerlock are better).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

zhyla wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:42 am
bleasure wrote:
Just wanted to share that I think this is a really beautiful design for a working tool.
At a $260 street price this is pretty firmly out of the “working tool” category. It does look nice though.
Maybe for you. I have plenty of working tools over that mark.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:30 am
zhyla wrote:
bleasure wrote:

Semantics. I read Zhyla's post as meaning: "working knife." Sure, I have tools that cost well north of a grand or two each, but they aren't tools that could be replaced by a hundred dollar tool. OTOH, I'll bet my LW Manixes can do the work of a Bodacious for nearly half the coin. I still want a Bodacious, though--but probably won't take it to work very often.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:13 am
yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:30 am
zhyla wrote:
bleasure wrote:

Semantics. I read Zhyla's post as meaning: "working knife." Sure, I have tools that cost well north of a grand or two each, but they aren't tools that could be replaced by a hundred dollar tool. OTOH, I'll bet my LW Manixes can do the work of a Bodacious for nearly half the coin. I still want a Bodacious, though--but probably won't take it to work very often.
I was actually thinking about a couple of $400 custom slipjoints that I carry all the time and use for whatever I need.
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

zhyla wrote:
agreed in spirit. it's a matter of assumptions: i'm referring to evident design intent (vs, say, knives explicitly designed as weapons, or for decor/collecting/accessorizing). you're referring to financial accessability, and then assessing my statement in relation to that, which is apples and oranges. both matter, and at some point co-inform one another; the fact that in praising the design i regretted the low likelihood that i'd own one given its very high cost should suggest i understand this point and share the criticism.

but a great design is a great design, and there is nothing that said this had to exist. i see it as an effort to continue to refine and develop a craft by a major designer in the history of the field, maybe even over and above something driven by any specific commercial 'necessity.' without having had an opportunity to use one, my instincts tell me it's a major success for the kinds of things i appreciate in a folding knife. i'd say the same thing about that new leatherman - it's an outstanding evolution and full of new features and approaches i think are fantastic, but there's 0 chance i'll be buying one in the forseeable future given high cost and no need. yet i figured i'd share my praise openly, because in a space where many posts appear driven by consumerist entitlement and wheedling, the opposite - positive, if tempered, feedback and reinforcement - might be valued, and even necessary if developments i appreciate are to be encouraged. i can't reward with cash at that price, but i can at least weigh in this way.
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Well said, bleasure. This is how I feel about the recent KJ Bowie release; the celebration of the design is being drowned out by the criticism of the price.
- Richard
Ferruginous

Post by Ferruginous »

I don't mean to be impatient (which is exactly what someone would say who was being impatient) but is there any hope that these will be out soon?

Thanks in advance
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Ferruginous wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:30 pm
I don't mean to be impatient (which is exactly what someone would say who was being impatient) but is there any hope that these will be out soon?

Thanks in advance
sal will usually post somewhere (sometimes) when he has received a production sample. That should give a decent estimation of a month or two out until you see it trickle onto shelves. As was previously discussed (by sal himself), sometimes things don't always go as designed and it's back to square one. He's quite transparent about the happenings with certain models, but there are no definites. I believe the Mule Teams are the only knives that get a true "birthday".

Other than that, you already got your answer. If you want the knife, save your monies for when it's out. I don't want to be that prickish, but it is what it is. This goes for every model, from every factory. You have to account for extra patience due to the Golden expansion that is still ongoing. I have much faith that the patience you're paying forward now is more than worth the wait for the end product that Golden can, and assuredly will deliver for this model.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Ferruginous

Post by Ferruginous »

weeping minora wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:28 pm
Ferruginous wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:30 pm

Thanks in advance
sal will usually post somewhere (sometimes) when he has received a production sample. That should give a decent estimation of a month or two out until you see it trickle onto shelves. As was previously discussed (by sal himself), sometimes things don't always go as designed and it's back to square one. He's quite transparent about the happenings with certain models, but there are no definites. I believe the Mule Teams are the only knives that get a true "birthday".

Other than that, you already got your answer. If you want the knife, save your monies for when it's out. I don't want to be that prickish, but it is what it is. This goes for every model, from every factory. You have to account for extra patience due to the Golden expansion that is still ongoing. I have much faith that the patience you're paying forward now is more than worth the wait for the end product that Golden can, and assuredly will deliver for this model.
I got my answer 2.5 months ago, was hoping for a new one.

If there is nothing new to share, then fine, but sometimes if you ask you are rewarded with an update.