Fixed blade EDC

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
RugerNurse

Fixed blade EDC

Post by RugerNurse »

Part of me still has an itch to carry a fixed blade but I haven’t found the right one yet. I thought I liked the White River backpacker model but the front part was too skinny for my pointer finger, made out feel wobbly if cutting hard. The Izula was another great option but the handle was cramped. Any small fixed blades that people like?
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
SpyderJunky

Re: Fixed blade EDC

Post by SpyderJunky »

I like the Esee Xancudo in S35VN...
"I have too many Spyderco knives"-said no man ever.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Bark River PSK EDC is awesome and I ordered a TJ Schwarz Overland Sport recently but he’s backlogged…really wanna try the Knafs Lulu too
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Curious about the White River small game knife. Looks nice but don’t know if the handle is full or not. I’m not a fan of skeletonized handles
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I EDC a small fixed blade pretty much all the time.

I like the Bradford Guardian 3 (I have that one in probably a dozen steel/shape variants), especially the wharnie. The handle might be cramped for some people though.

I am currently rotating between my Chad Kelly Coop (my favorite for this role, but they are fairly hard to get), and a Bark River Little Creek II, which has definitely impressed me. It's not 'heavy duty' but it's robust enough for EDC tasks, and small/light enough that I barely notice it.

Little Creek II: https://www.knivesshipfree.com/bark-riv ... -magnacut/
Guardian 3 Wharncliffe: https://bradfordknives.com/27-guardian3-wharnie
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

SpyderJunky wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:55 pm
The xancudo is nice one. Not a bad handle, have held one before. Does it carry well?
SpyderJunky

Post by SpyderJunky »

RugerNurse wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:30 am
SpyderJunky wrote:
The xancudo is nice one. Not a bad handle, have held one before. Does it carry well?
I don't have one yet but strongly considering it.
I do have the sencillo in magna cut , but have dedicated it to skinning only.
I'm already packing a mora (or two), a folder, and sometimes my S35VN esee 4 on my woods/trail hikes in the Ga. mountains/wilderness and wondering how much crossover use the xancudo would see between the woods and edc.
I tend to be a niche filler and have that one filled on both sides. But my self control is not that great and might wind up with one anyway. :squinting-tongue

I was wondering if by too skinny for your first finger were you talking about the spine of the blade on top or the side just in front of the handle?
I imagine the spine (blade stock thickness) is close to the same, but haven't really given it much thought...
"I have too many Spyderco knives"-said no man ever.
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

Got a Barkriver Necker in 3V which is very compact and a good slicer. Did made new scales for it to increase the girth and for the looks as it came standard with green G10.
PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I also have the Bradford Guardian 3 and 4, in Saber Grind. Really like them.

I am looking at the following Spartan Blades:
Phrike
Spartan-Harsey Fighter
Spartan Harsey Tactical Trout
Spartan Harsey Clandestina
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

SpyderJunky wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:56 am
RugerNurse wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:30 am
SpyderJunky wrote:
I don't have one yet but strongly considering it.
I do have the sencillo in magna cut , but have dedicated it to skinning only.
I'm already packing a mora (or two), a folder, and sometimes my S35VN esee 4 on my woods/trail hikes in the Ga. mountains/wilderness and wondering how much crossover use the xancudo would see between the woods and edc.
I tend to be a niche filler and have that one filled on both sides. But my self control is not that great and might wind up with one anyway. :squinting-tongue

I was wondering if by too skinny for your first finger were you talking about the spine of the blade on top or the side just in front of the handle?
I imagine the spine (blade stock thickness) is close to the same, but haven't really given it much thought...
It was thin at the choil where your pointer finger lies. Not bad for light cuts but heavier cuts it starts to feel wobbly. The backpacker design is so good for everyday carry though. I had the micarta model, maybe the G10 would be better
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:50 am
I EDC a small fixed blade pretty much all the time.

I like the Bradford Guardian 3 (I have that one in probably a dozen steel/shape variants), especially the wharnie. The handle might be cramped for some people though.

I am currently rotating between my Chad Kelly Coop (my favorite for this role, but they are fairly hard to get), and a Bark River Little Creek II, which has definitely impressed me. It's not 'heavy duty' but it's robust enough for EDC tasks, and small/light enough that I barely notice it.

Little Creek II: https://www.knivesshipfree.com/bark-riv ... -magnacut/
Guardian 3 Wharncliffe: https://bradfordknives.com/27-guardian3-wharnie
Little Creek II looks fantastic 👍
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I was looking at a Bradford Guardian 3 a few years back and ended up getting a Creely Blades Mako instead.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

❤️ my Fatback Defender
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have thought on many occasions about getting a Cold Steel Mini Pendleton. The straps are removable, leaving a secure holster for the pocket, or it seems to me.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:00 pm
I have thought on many occasions about getting a Cold Steel Mini Pendleton. The straps are removable, leaving a secure holster for the pocket, or it seems to me.
Go for it. You'll probably love it.
Sounds really good.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Halfneck wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:33 pm
I was looking at a Bradford Guardian 3 a few years back and ended up getting a Creely Blades Mako instead.
The Mako is DOPE!!!
benben

Post by benben »

Handled a Guardian 3 in AEB-L for the first time at a gun show this past weekend, I’ve never seen or held one before. My very first thought was….it’s just way too small for me!

But actually thinking back since then, it seems perfect for what it’s designed for. Could have got it for $150, wishing now I would have bought it!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I own two Makos, one in M390 and one in Rex 121. It's pretty much a highly refined, evolved Enuff. The handle/blade ratio is (like the Enuff) quite a lot of handle per blade. I don't mind that at all, even though I was thinking I might. Having the relatively large handle makes the knife more comfortable and easier to apply precise pressure. On the other hand, I never really use it for something that requires that much pressure.

Benben, $150 for the AEB-L Guardian 3 seems high to me. (example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/174979013270?i ... BM5Mm0_rRj)
benben

Post by benben »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:57 am
I own two Makos, one in M390 and one in Rex 121. It's pretty much a highly refined, evolved Enuff. The handle/blade ratio is (like the Enuff) quite a lot of handle per blade. I don't mind that at all, even though I was thinking I might. Having the relatively large handle makes the knife more comfortable and easier to apply precise pressure. On the other hand, I never really use it for something that requires that much pressure.

Benben, $150 for the AEB-L Guardian 3 seems high to me. (example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/174979013270?i ... BM5Mm0_rRj)
Thank you Tom!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

My most commonly-carried edc fixie is this LT Wright Frontier Valley in A2. It’s about 3, similar to the Bradford Guardian 3.

The stock JRE sheath is really nice, but I picked up an aftermarket horizontal carry sheath from Delta Knife + Sheath that is even less conspicuous

I also have a 2.5” version, the Frontier First. This one is a little small for me, I usually carry it if I haven’t had time to sharpen the big brother.

The SPK Shark is a cool option, this one is Cruwear.

I don’t particularly love the stock kydex sheath, so I don’t carry as often. Just sticks out too much. I’d really like to pickup a leather pocket sheath for it to be less conspicuous.

Bark River has a number of EDC offerings, like the PSK Salty mentioned above. Here’s the one I carry most often, the North a country EDC:

It’s about 3.5”, maybe 3.25”. I usually end up carrying it scout in the small of the back, which is a little less than ideal but sure works.

I think the key for me, living in an urban area, is concealability. Because of that, I think a 3” blade and no more than 6.5” overall is pretty ideal, and a good sheath that helps you conceal is essential. I’d like to try some of the others mentioned here in this thread.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.