Sharpmaker Elite Edition

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

If Spyderco made an adjustable angle sharp make base, would you buy it?

No
36%
Yes
44%
JUST TAKE MY MONEY ALREADY!
20%

Total votes: 90

Senfkarte

Re: Sharpmaker Elite Edition

Post by Senfkarte »

jasonstone20 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:41 am
JoviAl-
You can always try rotating the base of the Sharpmaker. Someone years ago came up with a formula to get a specific angle, and I wrote a small computer program that you can run in your web browser that will tell you what angle is the base needed to be turned to get a specific angle.
Sorry, maybe I misunderstood you, but if you want to tilt the Sharpmaker stones by a certain degree, let's say x, you also need to tilt the base by the same amount x. No formula needed.
jasonstone20

Post by jasonstone20 »

Senfkarte,
yes, you can tilt the Sharpmaker also. I am talking about rotating the base.
"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"Life is GOOD!"
--Stefan Wolf, May his memory be a blessing

--Ken Schwartz, May his memory be a blessing

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
z1r

Post by z1r »

benja-man wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:32 am
For me, an alternate base with 17.5 and 12.5 settings would do. I know of the 3D-printable adapters, but I do like the original base concept.
This is kinda what I'd like. My only real issue with the Sharpkeeper, is that my rods fit loosely. I try to apply the same force on the downstrokes but if I press harder I can see the rods change its angle. SFO said my base was within specs, but I know it is older, I have the brass rods. Maybe I need a new base, just wish they were sold separately. I haven't used any of my adjustable angle sharpeners in years since getting the Sharpmaker.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Sal with the 50th year anniversary of your sharpmaker approaching, What are your thoughts a special version? Are you guys working on anything? Would there be anything you would improve or change for a special elite version or just a generational upgrade to a 205?
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

For a special edition, I think a metal box and base would be really cool. Aluminum maybe. I don't think it would be worth it for one run from a business standpoint, but it would be super cool from a user/fan of the product. Kind of a collector's addition. Though personally, I would use the heck out it.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:57 pm
For a special edition, I think a metal box and base would be really cool. Aluminum maybe. I don't think it would be worth it for one run from a business standpoint, but it would be super cool from a user/fan of the product. Kind of a collector's addition. Though personally, I would use the heck out it.
That would be right up my alley too 👆🏻
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

jasonstone20 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:09 am
Senfkarte,
Ah, now this makes sense. You want to totate around the other axis. Sorry.
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

I voted no.

In this day and age of “super steels”, I think a set of coarse & fine Diamond (or CBN) rods should be a MUCH higher priority.
PStone

Post by PStone »

If we’re just talking an anniversary special edition, I would def be all for a metal case like JSumm suggested. If it’s a new design for the anniversary being discussed I’d like to say that seeing aspects of all three of the current sharpeners would be cool. Maybe a standard Sharpmaker base with all new slots that could accept both triangle the stones like the original as well as the cats eye stones like the gauntlet, and an additional 10dps slot like the Galley V. I voted yes for the poll because I’d love the option of any angle too.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Ditto what PStone said 👆👆👆
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

A fully-articulated base to hold either triangular or cat’s-eye rods at different angles and orientations would be a wonderful product, but so niche as to be a lot business decision.

Adding adjustability adds cost, complexity, and potential confusion. In my own experience I have found that rods wiggle a bit in the plastic bases and I’d love a clamping base to eliminate any movement there. But I’m a weirdo afi who cares more than most, and every degree of adjustability adds cost and most people don’t care about it as much as I do.

Since I’m quite comfortable freehand sharpening plain edges on bench stones, my incentive to prototype a super duper adjustable base is reduced. What I would love to buy from Spyderco is brown (medium) rods for the Galley Vee. My irreplaceable use for the Sharpmaker is for maintaining and reprofiling serrated knives.
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

I’d like it if there was a if there was a version of the sharpmaker that came with the diamond and CBN rods by default instead of the ceramic ones.
jasonstone20

Post by jasonstone20 »

Senfkarte wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:49 pm
jasonstone20 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:09 am
Senfkarte,
Ah, now this makes sense. You want to totate around the other axis. Sorry.
No problem, I wasn't really clear what I meant. I assumed that everyone was familiar already with this idea and technique, that is my fault for assuming.
--Shawn Houston

--Roman Landes

"Life is GOOD!"

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
jasonstone20

Post by jasonstone20 »

Maybe an all-Diamond/CBN set of rods for the 'Special Version'? Like a C, M, and F set of Diamond or CBN rods? That would be nice to have. Personally, I feel the setup now is fine, as having the C Diamond/CBN rods for the large amount of work forming the burr, and then the sintered ceramic Tri-Angle rods in M, F, and UF, given they are clean and properly conditioned (I like using Wet/Dry SiC sandpaper), to refine and diminish the burr. They should cut most cutlery steels easily with no issue. Maybe with Maxamet or 10V, 15V, and high carbide steels like those, it might not be the most practical, however. I like using a little drop of mineral oil/baby oil, or dish soap on the ceramic rods to keep them clean and cutting and to greatly reduce the chance of small metal particulates in the air, which you do not want to breathe in. If you have a respirator, I would sharpen with that on, to be honest.
--Shawn Houston

--Roman Landes

"Life is GOOD!"

--Sal Glesser
DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

Haunted House wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:55 pm
I voted no.

In this day and age of “super steels”, I think a set of coarse & fine Diamond (or CBN) rods should be a MUCH higher priority.
I agree with Haunted House, with the new supersteels priority for additional CBM or diamond rods should take precedence.
DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

Sorry, a double post.