MT40P – HIC Mule Team Dropping Soon!

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Bolster

Re: MT40P – HIC Mule Team Dropping Soon!

Post by Bolster »

Hey, since Michael and Kristi are checking this thread...a big thank you to both (and the rest of the Spyder crew) for facilitating this amazing new edge technology--from idea to delivery, quite a ride! We truly appreciate it! I know that we knife buyers can act like greedy children arguing about new toys, but underneath that is a deep appreciation for what Spyderco produces and represents.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
clinton1

Post by clinton1 »

Couldn't agree more, Bolster! So cool to see new stuff like this hit the market!!

Cheers to the Spyderco crew for continuing to move the industry forward!!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi White00,

Welcome to our forum.

Thanx Kristi and Mike for info.

sal
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

This is knife history being made. A major knife maker is using a ceramic that can be used as a viable EDC knife. I think to ensure some people don’t use these as cry bars, perhaps a salt slip joint would make the most sense especially since it would be least potentially damaging “locking” mechanism to the ceramic. Perhaps a lightweight salt version of a nautical slip joint sheepsfoot would be the strongest and best EDC HIC folder. We now have the fixed with the mule but I would love a fifth pocket salt sheepsfoot slip joint and dare I imagine a two blade version with the famous Spyderco serrations that would make this a practically never need to sharpen knife. If there was a locking hole where the lanyard bead acted as a secondary lock, that would be about perfect.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
xnmw

Post by xnmw »

Fireman wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:27 pm
…a lightweight salt version of a nautical slip joint sheepsfoot…
This is an interesting proposition.
I’d love a super light, slim, gentleman’s-type slipjoint, too. Both of these sound like very niche offerings, though…

I wonder how well a crossbar lock would work?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I missed the mule drop and will likely miss the next, but I’d be happy to purchase a regular production model whether it be a small fixed blade or a folder of some kind. Just one vote, hope it counts.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Something along the lines of a Dragonfly or Chaparral in HIC would be _very_ cool.
CasperFatone

Post by CasperFatone »

Fireman wrote:
This is knife history being made. A major knife maker is using a ceramic that can be used as a viable EDC knife. I think to ensure some people don’t use these as cry bars, perhaps a salt slip joint would make the most sense especially since it would be least potentially damaging “locking” mechanism to the ceramic. Perhaps a lightweight salt version of a nautical slip joint sheepsfoot would be the strongest and best EDC HIC folder. We now have the fixed with the mule but I would love a fifth pocket salt sheepsfoot slip joint and dare I imagine a two blade version with the famous Spyderco serrations that would make this a practically never need to sharpen knife. If there was a locking hole where the lanyard bead acted as a secondary lock, that would be about perfect.
I’m definitely planning to mess around with areas of this Mule that will be covered by scales to see if I can grind/drill/work it at all. One thing that I really wanted to explore is how this stuff would interact with a locking mechanism. Your idea of a slip joint might be the way to go since there isn’t that high stress lock interface that locking folders have. I’m not so bold as to think I could do a folding Mule with this one, but I’m also not going to say I won’t try to do it lol
Amateur maker of folding knives and addicted to modding Spyderco knives

Folding Mules- m398 liner lock, Rex76 compression lock, 15v liner lock flipper
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

CasperFatone wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:45 pm
Fireman wrote:
I’m definitely planning to mess around with areas of this Mule that will be covered by scales to see if I can grind/drill/work it at all. One thing that I really wanted to explore is how this stuff would interact with a locking mechanism. Your idea of a slip joint might be the way to go since there isn’t that high stress lock interface that locking folders have. I’m not so bold as to think I could do a folding Mule with this one, but I’m also not going to say I won’t try to do it lol
I think a Dremel and some diamond bits would make easy work of conversion. Slip joint is definitely the way to go to reduce the costs involved in making a locking mechanism work on a production scale. I have one of the Rhaven kitchen knives in this material and it is super light. Could make a great featherweight folder and even more so with say a dragonfly size knife.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Woot! Just got my shipping notice.
JestersHK

Post by JestersHK »

Mine should be here tomorrow, now to figure out scales, with the lack of holes in not sure how good a paracord wrap will work for these...
CasperFatone

Post by CasperFatone »

Fireman wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:33 am
CasperFatone wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:45 pm
Fireman wrote:
I think a Dremel and some diamond bits would make easy work of conversion. Slip joint is definitely the way to go to reduce the costs involved in making a locking mechanism work on a production scale. I have one of the Rhaven kitchen knives in this material and it is super light. Could make a great featherweight folder and even more so with say a dragonfly size knife.
As a test I think I’ll try to drill a hole somewhere near the back of the tang so if it cracks I can still make a decent handle and fill the missing part with kind of a backspacer. Hopefully if I drill it submerged in water like you do with glass it will keep it from cracking 🤞
Amateur maker of folding knives and addicted to modding Spyderco knives

Folding Mules- m398 liner lock, Rex76 compression lock, 15v liner lock flipper
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I think using a dremel with diamond bits will work without heating up too much. I just dip in cool water if you feel getting too warm.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Anyone that picked up in store from SFO be willing to post up some pics? Would love to see a closeup of the edge.

Thanks in advance!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Bob.Delp wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:15 am
I ran home from work to place an order only to realize I was an hour early! Doh! Left and came back 15 minutes to release. Cart ready with a set of scales. Five minutes from release, my internet service goes down. Doh! Reset router...no dice. Release + 10 minutes, Plan B used phone connection. Slow connection & tiny screen was stressful, but.....Success!

Bob
Perseverance pays off! Always have a plan B.
Sndmn11

Post by Sndmn11 »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:10 pm
Anyone that picked up in store from SFO be willing to post up some pics? Would love to see a closeup of the edge.

Thanks in advance!

I have made up several dozen mules for friends and to donate to local charities, so I bought a few of these at SFO on release day. I ended up returning them due to not being sharp enough to catch paper and my inability to sharpen the one I tried with.

The bevel was uniform it just wasn't apexed or close to it.

Pretty bummed because I like to concept and the dark lead color was cool, but I guess I have to stick with steel when they end up in the hands of various people with various abilities to sharpen.
JestersHK

Post by JestersHK »

legOFwhat? wrote:

Thanks in advance!
My first one ( I broke down and ordered another after the initial rush lol) will be here this afternoon along with the proprietary sheath, I'll try to get some pics of the edge, although the size limit here takes away quite a bit of the resolution...
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

Sndmn11 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:09 am
legOFwhat? wrote:

Thanks in advance!

I have made up several dozen mules for friends and to donate to local charities, so I bought a few of these at SFO on release day. I ended up returning them due to not being sharp enough to catch paper and my inability to sharpen the one I tried with.

Pretty bummed because I like to concept and the dark lead color was cool, but I guess I have to stick with steel when they end up in the hands of various people with various abilities to sharpen.
Kinda bummed to hear the factory edge wasn't up to par. Most people aren't set up to easily sharpen this material so it will be very interesting to see the results once they start showing up for everyone else.

I'm working up a few sets of walnut scales right now. I think the dark scales withthe dark blade are going to look sick. I can hardly wait until mine shows up.
20240210_115849.jpg
Every day in my pockets, Wallet, Keys, Phone, Light, and Knife.

Https://BladeProtection.com
bobartig

Post by bobartig »

Got mine suited up with Halpern scales and the HIC Kydex sheath. I've previously avoided getting kydex sheaths because I'd already bought some blank sheets, as well as thermofoam and supplies to *make* my own kydex, but I didn't want to mess around with the HIC unprotected.

The edge is indeed less sharp than most Mules. Mine has trouble catching paper, but push-cuts through cardboard. Not entirely sure how I'm going to test it. I usually do things like whittling/carving wood, but I don't think I want to try that with HIC.

bobartig

Post by bobartig »

FullScaler wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:00 pm
Sndmn11 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:09 am
legOFwhat? wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Kinda bummed to hear the factory edge wasn't up to par. Most people aren't set up to easily sharpen this material so it will be very interesting to see the results once they start showing up for everyone else.

I'm working up a few sets of walnut scales right now. I think the dark scales withthe dark blade are going to look sick. I can hardly wait until mine shows up.

20240210_115849.jpg
Do you have a CNC setup??? That's pretty sweet looking!