Spyderco Black Friday Map Holiday Sales 2023!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nerdlock

Re: Spyderco Black Friday Map Holiday Sales 2023!

Post by nerdlock »

You should post on the Facebook group "Millie, PM2 Para 3 Club". The CEO of SMKW often replies to SMKW concerns there.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
sovereign

Post by sovereign »

Just received emails from SMKW notifying me that both of my BF orders have been refunded.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

SMKW just emailed me too with refund notification. Definitely disappointed. Wish they would have at least reached out and explained the situation. To an extent, I can understand not being able to honor a price that was incorrect, but lack of communication on this will make me look at other dealers in the future.
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

I didn't have any pre-orders with SMKW, but if this is the way they do business I will no longer be buying from them. There are too many alternatives that are run by hard working people who go out of their way to keep their customers happy: National Knives, Cutlery Shoppe, Knifeworks, KSF, Indiana, GPK, REC, DLT, WMK, and more.

I never liked their exclusives, but they were on my list of preferred retailers. Oh well...
Brian
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Just got my preorder of a Magnacut Native Chief cancelled & refunded from SMKW. I hope they at least earned interest on the $$$ for the 3 months they held my money.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:18 pm
Just got my preorder of a Magnacut Native Chief cancelled & refunded from SMKW. I hope they at least earned interest on the $$$ for the 3 months they held my money.
Yea. We were their bank.
MRj “Weak things break!”
nosuchagency

Post by nosuchagency »

recd same refund notice from smkw associated with bf purchase for the spy27 pm2. i had no problem waiting release, but reckon they had other idea...
Guts

Post by Guts »

Another cancelled and refunded order from SMKW here. Would've been nice if they cancelled the order a few days or weeks after it was initially placed, but not cancelling until 3 months later had me assuming I'd actually get the items at the price I paid. I guess the good news is that the refund will pay for my HIC mules.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
nosuchagency

Post by nosuchagency »

iirc at start of bf it didn't appear smkw had set their site correctly to flag all impending 2024 releases as unavailable/oos. The issue seemed to get fixed within a day or so. suspect spyderco wouldn't have greenlighted dealers discounting next year's models. would still have preferred dealer sent communication back then if that was the case as opposed to how this played out.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

nosuchagency wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:34 pm
iirc at start of bf it didn't appear smkw had set their site correctly to flag all impending 2024 releases as unavailable/oos. The issue seemed to get fixed within a day or so. suspect spyderco wouldn't have greenlighted dealers discounting next year's models. would still have preferred dealer sent communication back then if that was the case as opposed to how this played out.

Reveal 13 was announced about 6 months before the BF sale and Reveal 14 a month before. Dealers didn’t know when the items in those two Reveals would be released and I doubt they were told then that MAP was changing on February 1, 2024.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Crox

Post by Crox »

nosuchagency wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:34 pm
It feels like they were trying to drive traffic to the site during the holiday. Now they don’t like the price.

The proper thing would be to honor the price. They’re large enough to absorb the hit.
nosuchagency

Post by nosuchagency »

have never had anything but positive experiences with smkw, but agree that it's a bad look how this is being handled.
Synov

Post by Synov »

I understand if they made an honest mistake and are contractually obligated to sell at a specific price. The fair thing to do would be to give discount codes to those whose orders were canceled.
Visualizing the Tradeoff of Higher Hardness
S90V: Manix XL CF Yojumbo CF Shaman CF Native 5 Fluted CF CPM-154/S90V: Manix 2 Magnacut: Native 5 Fluted Ti Damasteel: Native 5 40th Anniversary ZDP-189: Dragonfly 2 Nishijin N690Co: PITS XHP: Chaparral Birdseye Maple
sovereign

Post by sovereign »

Received a call out of the blue from SMKW today offering to reinstate my orders. I accepted.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

sovereign wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:36 pm
Received a call out of the blue from SMKW today offering to reinstate my orders. I accepted.
I was going to follow up too. I had the same experience, except an email today stating that the cancellation was in error. I took reinstated my order.

Appreciate the follow up and error correction SMKW.
MNOSD member 0030
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

I received the same email. Stated there was an error. But I politely argued with the manager over it and to me this is more damage control than an oops mistake. I appreciate that it seems like everyone is getting the orders reinstated. I guess the right person got enough complaints. I am still weary about future purchases tho. I will most likely take the apology but this one was a strike against them.
MRj “Weak things break!”
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Likewise, got an email from Jamie P. offering to reinstate. I returned the email and said "Yes please reinstate." I wonder if SMKW keeps credit cards on file? Because they didn't ask for it again.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
nosuchagency

Post by nosuchagency »

received email from smkw offering to allow placing of new order with original adjusted pricing. Responded back interested in doing so.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The overall handling by SMKW is beyond just a series of mistakes and nothing short of a clusterf**k. Reminds me of Boeing the past 5+ years.

— Taking preorders with full payment
— Failure to update buyer after 30 days
— Cancelling preorders 90+ days after payment without consulting buyer
— Blaming Spyderco for canceling their orders for those knives
— SMKW blaming SMKW customer service
— Reinstating preorders

Am I missing anything?

I’ve purchased from SMKW several times over the past 5 years. Too many reputable dealers out there to take another chance even for a dealer exclusive.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Crox

Post by Crox »

I received a voicemail from SMKW as well today with the same offer. Ill be reinstating my order when they open tomorrow.