MT40P – HIC Mule Team Dropping Soon!

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
RamZar

Re: MT40P – HIC Mule Team Dropping Soon!

Post by RamZar »

sal wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:29 pm
We made a bunch of them, otherwise it could not have covered the very expensive tooling.

sal

2000?

Some may be put off by the description: “Although HIC is more durable than conventional ceramic materials, it is still not as resilient as steel. It is, therefore, not warranted against breakage.”
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

RamZar wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:12 pm
sal wrote:
We made a bunch of them, otherwise it could not have covered the very expensive tooling.

sal

2000?

Some may be put off by the description: “Although HIC is more durable than conventional ceramic materials, it is still not as resilient as steel. It is, therefore, not warranted against breakage.”
I did not think any mule would be. For example if you snap the tip off or break it battening I figured it was on you.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

But when you snap the blade putting on handle scales (see the ZDP-189 Mule) they do stand behind it.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Watch cases have been made out of this for years and it has shown that even after 5-10 years the watch still looks new. (As no scratches)
The big thing was the brittleness (naysayers were everywhere early on) when they first came out but with 10 years of use I have only seen one or two that had bad press with a dropped watch that landed right on the lug.

Looking forward to all the thoughts once they are out.

($150.US +$45.US postage makes them a tad expensive for me in Australia when I could get 3x SPY 27s for the same price ;) )
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I'd curious but I kinda wish we could try this material in a different design. I'm thinking a 2" wharnie/ box cutter styled fixie.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

CLOK wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:10 pm
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... heath/2517

There is the dedicated sheath. I am sure it will be available when the knife is posted live for sale.

Hope the Boltaron® sheath specifically crafted for the MT40 Mule Team blade is in stock when the HIC Mule goes on sale on Wednesday.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
burlyspyder

Post by burlyspyder »

sal wrote:
I'm challenging the very bright folks here to come up with better ways to sharpen it and get it sharp enough to shave?

sal
Well then. Time to break out the spreadsheets and data collection. This will be interesting... Looking forward to it.

Given they made "a bunch", are we expecting no limit per household? Given the nature of the material, we may get some breakage in testing. Although, I have had a Rahven for a long time now, under light-moderate use, with no issues. I will say it didn't come from factory as sharp as I like my white/blue/super blue kitchen knives, but it still cuts similar to when I bought it. The biggest issue with the Rahven is I really don't like the weight/balance compared to traditional materials.

This mule will be the most interesting to date, imo. I can't wait to see how it holds up in the kitchen (food stuffs), gardening work (harvest, regular soil/dirt exposure), light-duty camping (rope, small game) and maybe even skinning (large game) if I have some luck in the fall...so, I definitely need more than 1, maybe 3?

This all reminds me, I need to update progress on more than a few mules. The issue is, with so many, it's hard to give them all a truly representative use test. A few have yet to be used extensively, or at all (glaring at my Rex76 with custom scales I made).

It is going to take a long time to truly put the HIC through the paces without being abusive... But maybe that's what we need to do...Mule Team Go!

Cheers,
-burly
:bug-red: H1, M4, 4v, 10v, Hap40, s90v, s110v, BD1n, Maxamet, Magnacut
MT; Z-max, Z-wear, Magnacut, SRS13, Rex76, M398, T15, K294, ZDP-189, HIC, AEB-L, SPY27, 15v
Other: D2, White#1, Blue#2, SuperBlue, VG-10, 204P, 20cv, s30v, s35vn, s45vn, s90v, HIC, TC71
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

I'm tempted to get one of these because they are so unique, but I've had a few HIC kitchen knives for a while now and it bothers me that there isn't a great way to sharpen them. I've been able to do some coarse reshaping with diamond plates when I chipped a section of edge near the tip off, but the edge chips out with plates so I had to finish sharpening on diamond film strops and it took forever. I've also done a couple normal sharpenings on both blades with the diamond films, and it works ok as long as you don't have chips (I do in a few places), but I've never been able to get them as sharp as I can get pretty much any steel. They do hold that mediocre edge for a long time though, and I use my HIC kitchen knives a good bit.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I can hear the whining now…. “I should have gotten a ceramic mule”. Bonus is, if there are catastrophic failures, it just makes the others more rare and valuable 🤣🤣🤣🤣
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Fireman wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:40 pm
I can hear the whining now…. “I should have gotten a ceramic mule”. Bonus is, if there are catastrophic failures, it just makes the others more rare and valuable 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Just incase nobody has said this but thank you for getting this started! :hugging-face

:cheap-sunglasses
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:01 pm
Fireman wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:40 pm
Just incase nobody has said this but thank you for getting this started! :hugging-face

:cheap-sunglasses
I’m just a yahoo with a keyboard. Sal is the hero here.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Gtscotty wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:26 pm
I'm tempted to get one of these because they are so unique, but I've had a few HIC kitchen knives for a while now and it bothers me that there isn't a great way to sharpen them.
Have you tried diamond belts?
CasperFatone

Post by CasperFatone »

[/quote]

Have you tried diamond belts?
[/quote]

My thought was to try loading up a linen belt for my 2x72 with diamond compound and seeing how that does to hone the edge on this Mule when I get it. I guess we’ll see how that goes. Do you know if there diamond impregnated belts that you can buy? I don’t recall ever seeing them anywhere.
Amateur maker of folding knives and addicted to modding Spyderco knives

Folding Mules- m398 liner lock, Rex76 compression lock, 15v liner lock flipper
francois

Post by francois »

My plan is to use CBN stones to sharpen it, though I may have to get an additional one to cover a gap I have between 400 and 1000 grit (I'm not sure how the edge would react to such a jump in size)

Now, my understanding is that edge retention is mad and I shouldn't have to sharpen it until some time "under normal use".

And of course this is only if I can grab one later today :)

François.
David R

Post by David R »

I am trying. The "add to cart" button is not working and the page was slow to open. I'll keep trying.

EDIT: Done. Bit of a struggle with responsiveness. t seemed to get better the last few minutes.
Last edited by David R on Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarkCleric21

Post by DarkCleric21 »

Has the site crashed or just me?
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

Lol timeouts galore already
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Score. Slow loads but successful.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Toker

Post by Toker »

Checkout... ... ...

More difficult than 15V, but a lot easier than Magnacut. If I knew how easy it would be to sharpen this with a Wicked Edge, I would have purchased 2.
Last edited by Toker on Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
CLOK

Post by CLOK »

Checkout Completed. It was a bit slow but did not run into any errors on my side, just let it think and do its thing. 6 minutes, not too bad. Got it and the sheath.