eBay condones counterfeit items.

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
JRinFL

eBay condones counterfeit items.

Post by JRinFL »

I’ve reported several counterfeit sellers over the years with no response, but the last few I have received an email acknowledging the reports. Two of the recent three I reported I have received a follow up stating in part “ We looked into your report and didn’t find the listing to be in violation of our policy. This determination was made by a customer service agent..”. One was an obvious counterfeit Smock and the other an obvious Benchmade Bugout counterfeit. Logos and all and sold as new at close to 1/10 the street price of the real items.

At this point I have to consider EBay to be complicit in the ongoing counterfeiting schemes. I suppose it could be gross incompetence. But, as Ian Fleming famously wrote “Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action

Clearly eBay did not learn from the previous lawsuit they lost. I strongly encourage Spyderco to join with other makers and make a joint lawsuit against EBay.

All above is just my opinion, of course.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JSumm

Re: eBay condones counterfeit items.

Post by JSumm »

Oh wow! I did not realize it was such a large problem. Do a little search and there are a number of companies banning together in their respective industries to go after ebay. Even OtterBox and LifeProof who lead the game in high-end protective phone cases selling at a premium. I think it is apparent that eBay does not care. In fact, they probably know by their sales statistics that this may make up a large portion of their business. That is my guess to why eBay would not fight the counterfeiters too strongly. Lawsuits like this and public awareness of the harm are probably the best way to fight them.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

Counterfeit, Clones, and Copies are the nightmare everyone who makes a good product fears. It is world of 2024, and sorry to say hard to stop, Chinese are number one in business of copying products, and make inferior copies. Deal seem too good too be true, pass unless you can see item, as once they get your money, it bis fight time.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:08 pm
Thank you for sharing your experience, JRinFL. It would be most helpful, whenever you're able, to share a link directly to the products on eBay. With links, we can take action. Without them, unfortunately, our options are limited.

As always, we appreciate your support!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:59 am
Oh wow! I did not realize it was such a large problem. Do a little search and there are a number of companies banning together in their respective industries to go after ebay. Even OtterBox and LifeProof who lead the game in high-end protective phone cases selling at a premium. I think it is apparent that eBay does not care. In fact, they probably know by their sales statistics that this may make up a large portion of their business. That is my guess to why eBay would not fight the counterfeiters too strongly. Lawsuits like this and public awareness of the harm are probably the best way to fight them.
The bad problem of it all is the country from where they come from has a long history of producing fake products . It is a part of their economic engine . Their way of addressing is if company is sued they go out of business and then start up under a new name . Jeff glad you mentioned other products because that is the reality we live in . A company has their product designed in house and then has it made out of country only to have their technology stolen and sold at cut rate prices out of same country . Economic parasites . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

eBay is about making money, their policing of Counterfeit item is not aggressive.

I use to report Fake S. T. Dupont Ping Lighter, and Xikar products.

Most were never removed. Ebay is more interested in their commission then stop fake items.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

TazKristi wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:24 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Thank you for sharing your experience, JRinFL. It would be most helpful, whenever you're able, to share a link directly to the products on eBay. With links, we can take action. Without them, unfortunately, our options are limited.

Kristi
Responded in PM
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

TazKristi wrote:
JRinFL wrote:

Kristi
I'm going to need help on this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/315090812132

Chinese fake saber grind "VG-10" G-10 Police 4. I reported it, they investigated and found it didn't violate their policies. Yeah, right.
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:02 pm
TazKristi wrote:
JRinFL wrote:

Kristi

Chinese fake saber grind "VG-10" G-10 Police 4. I reported it, they investigated and found it didn't violate their policies. Yeah, right.
How can you tell it's counterfeit?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

kennbr34 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:24 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
TazKristi wrote:
JRinFL wrote:

Kristi

How can you tell it's counterfeit?
For openers, Spyderco has never made a saber grind VG-10/G-10 Police model with 4-way clip and full dual liners. In the listing's last picture you can see the Bug logo is wrong and the tang "stamp" is in the wrong place.

Edit to add: now it's the next to last picture. He added a picture of the paperwork - for a Ti Mil.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

yablanowitz wrote:

Thank you, yablanowitz! I've got you.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

TazKristi wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:54 am
yablanowitz wrote:

Thank you, yablanowitz! I've got you.

Kristi
Quick work getting it pulled, thank you. I hope the two people who already purchased one get refunds.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

TazKristi wrote:
JRinFL wrote:

Kristi
And I have another one for you. Pretty convincing SS Police aside from the mosquito beak bug logo.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155405404604
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Is it just me, or has the "Report this Item" button been removed from eBay listings? I was going to report this fake and couldn't.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/386719837793
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:42 pm
Is it just me, or has the "Report this Item" button been removed from eBay listings? I was going to report this fake and couldn't.
Image Here , MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:36 am
yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:42 pm
Image Here , MG2
I see it on your picture, but it isn't there when I open the listing. Either I've used up my reporting privileges or they're pissed that Spyderco chimed in on that fake they said didn't violate their policies.
spinynorman

Post by spinynorman »

I recently reported a seller who was selling numerous Benchmade fakes - they were all new, at absurdly low prices, all shipping from China, they had subtle but visible differences in the knives from the legit models, and all of of the listing titles described the knife, but none actually said "Benchmade". Fake, fake, fake, all day long. I remember I had to dig to find the "report" tab. A few days later I got a reply from eBay saying that after investigating my complaint, they found that the seller was not in violation of eBay policies. I just couldn't understand why eBay would knowingly allow selling fakes, except for the obvious reason... $$$.
- Doug