LC200N for mullet? Recommendation Needed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Coastal

Re: LC200N for mullet? Recommendation Needed

Post by Coastal »

DBCajun wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:16 pm
Thanks for the input, everyone.

Coastal, thanks for turning me on to the Stretch 2 XL. The blade length might be better for fish than the Native. I think I’d get only an extra 1/2” from the Native over my Dfly. So something larger might be good for a dedicated fish knife, while my Dfly can be my daily pocket carry.

Definitely want a finger choil. Also think the Native Chief’s tip gets a little thin.
You’re very welcome!

The whole Stretch XL family is great because of the fantastic ergos and that beautiful blade. As soon as the first version was released, it became pretty certain there would be a Salt and, sure enough, it’s here. I haven’t actually used mine on the water, but it’s just a matter of time.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

LC200N you say?

743b83aee63326d11d114a07da4a433f--s-hairstyles-hairstyles-men.jpg
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

DBCajun wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:02 pm
Thanks Warstein! Very helpful info. Those links are great. I’m confident I made a good choice in the Stretch 2 XL Salt. Those Paramilitary 2 Salts look so cool too…might have to snag one in the future.

Glad it helped!

... Stretch XL is a great choice (I have the SE VG10 variant. Main difference to yours is the full flat grind (vs sabre hollow).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

DBCajun wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:25 pm
Farmer wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:18 pm
DBCajun wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:59 pm
Thanks for the recs, everyone. I just bought the Stretch 2XL Lightweight Salt. After looking at the Native and others, I wanted more blade length. I’m thinking the Sttetch will be my dedicated fishing knife. Can’t wait to get it.
Did you go for plain edge or serrated? I'm patiently(?) waiting for these to arrive in the UK and keen to hear how people are finding them!
I went with the plain edge. I think it’ll be better for all around use. Plus, I do t really have the sharpening experience for a SE. But I read a bunch of great reviews on the SE in H1/H2. Definitely see one in my future for boating safety.
Makes a lot of sense. I've been using a plain edge Salt 1 for fishing, eg mostly cutting line and prepping fish, and the edge lasts fairly well. The one exception was cutting old rope full of sand to recover a lobster pot - that did not go well!

Anyway enjoy the new knife when it arrives :cheap-sunglasses
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

DBCajun wrote:
Farmer wrote:
DBCajun wrote:
I went with the plain edge. I think it’ll be better for all around use. Plus, I do t really have the sharpening experience for a SE. But I read a bunch of great reviews on the SE in H1/H2. Definitely see one in my future for boating safety.
PE is just fine and will serve you well!
... But to me personally SE is the better allrounder (like in: Does most tasks better or at least not worse then PE when it comes to typical folder use. )

... Sharpening SE is actually even a bit easier and quicker than PE, see here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84544 and here https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
DBCajun

Post by DBCajun »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:33 am
DBCajun wrote:
Farmer wrote:
DBCajun wrote:
PE is just fine and will serve you well!
... But to me personally SE is the better allrounder (like in: Does most tasks better or at least not worse then PE when it comes to typical folder use. )

... Sharpening SE is actually even a bit easier and quicker than PE, see here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84544 and here https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo ;)
Good to know! Thanks for the info. I’d really like a SE to add to my collection.

Really digging all things Spyderco. I’ve collected and used knives my entire life, but only started really getting into the hobby. It’s a blast. So much to learn. Makes me want to stay outside more so I can use my knives!
DBCajun

Post by DBCajun »

Well, I got the Stretch XL in and I was pretty disappointed. The joint seemed a little flimsy. I understand that this is a longer folder, but I wasn’t comfortable with the side-to-side flimsiness. I could see the scales coming away from the blade on both sides at the joint with slight pressure. I would never feel comfortable bearing down on this knife, so I boxed it up and returned it. The FRN wasn’t exactly lined up on the back either, there was a slight little lip. Maybe the side-to-side could have been adjusted? Not sure, but I feel like it should have been a little more solid feeling. Ergos were great and I hated to return it. I really wanted that nice long blade. I think I’ll get something with liners at that length. Most likely I’ll get the Caribbean.
DBCajun

Post by DBCajun »

Caribbean en route.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

DBCajun wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:28 pm
Well, I got the Stretch XL in and I was pretty disappointed. The joint seemed a little flimsy. I understand that this is a longer folder, but I wasn’t comfortable with the side-to-side flimsiness. I could see the scales coming away from the blade on both sides at the joint with slight pressure. I would never feel comfortable bearing down on this knife, so I boxed it up and returned it. The FRN wasn’t exactly lined up on the back either, there was a slight little lip. Maybe the side-to-side could have been adjusted? Not sure, but I feel like it should have been a little more solid feeling. Ergos were great and I hated to return it. I really wanted that nice long blade. I think I’ll get something with liners at that length. Most likely I’ll get the Caribbean.

I completely respect that the knife did not feel to you like you prefer... but let me be honest:

Since you literally "hated to return it" and the reason (or at least the main reason?) was that you "would never feel comfortable bearing down on [it]": Perhaps you should have asked for experiences regarding what the linerless, larger Salt knives can take here on the forum or try for yourself? (No critique or offense, just a suggestion!)

Many folks here, including myself, really beat on their similarily sized and built Pacific Salts and they can take it no problem. My own Pac Salt 1 has seen really hard use and abuse for a folder over years, never, ever came close to failing and is still going strong.

Of course there are no long time experiences with the Stretch XL Salt yet, but I am pretty sure that it will be not different to the Pac Salt (though I have to say: While my own Stretch XL lightweight (VG10, but same built as the Salt) is solid enough, it still actually is the most "flexy" among my linerless FRN/FRCP Spydies).

That said: Feel in hand matters of course, and if you just like a sturdier, heavier feel with pretty much no perceivable blade play, the Caribbean with its comp.lock sure is a great choice (I personally though prefer back locks in "hard use", cause the comp.lock cutour tends to give hot spots more).
DBCajun

Post by DBCajun »

Thanks for the insight, Wartstein. I’m sure it’s a fine knife, but I wasn’t comfortable with the knife’s flex. I think the Caribbean will be a better knife for me. I may get a Native 5 in the future as I really enjoy the lightness of the FRN.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

DBCajun wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:06 am
Thanks for the insight, Wartstein. I’m sure it’s a fine knife, but I wasn’t comfortable with the knife’s flex. I think the Caribbean will be a better knife for me. I may get a Native 5 in the future as I really enjoy the lightness of the FRN.

If you like sturdiness in linerless FRN the Native is a great choice! I'd recommend SE of course... :smirk

If you want to go a step larger: The Manix 2 LW feels supersturdy too for a linerless (in that case FRCP- ) knife.
Available also as a Salt now, but unfortunately not in SE (not in any steel or version)

Enjoy the Caribbean!
DBCajun

Post by DBCajun »

Thanks Wartstein. I see plenty Spyderco Salts in my future. Glad I found them. Lived my whole life on salt water. I can see gifting these to friends and family.

Excited for the Caribbean. Hoping it will work in a lightweight fabric pocket. We’ll see. If not, I’ll grab a lightweight model for those days.

Thanks for your help.
Murat_Cyp

Post by Murat_Cyp »

I am using both steels at regular basis. MagnaCut is in a custom made knife and LC200N is in my waterway and UKPK.

Given your intendent use and sharpening equipment, I would say LC200N will be better for you. It is much tougher than MagnaCut and easier to sharpen and takes a finer edge easier.

I strongly recommend you the waterway model (or Siren if you really a need a folder). Waterway sheath has a great retention and G clip works well to carry vertical or horizontal. You can use the eyelets to install an aftermarket carry solution. I am telling you this since I am using my waterway as my spearfishing knife and I do not think I would want to sacrifice the simplicity, practicality and of a fixed blade in such conditions and use a folder instead. Especially if fish processing is involved. You can clean a fixed blade in a second with a simple dip into a water. I can not say the same for a folder. Think about all the fish guts getting stuck into the internals of the folder...

In my use I have no differences in corrosion resistance between the two steels. But only LC200N is tested as a dive knife. So, I can tell you for sure that you will not have any corrosion issue with LC200N. I am equally positive that you will not have an issue with MagnaCut as well if you choose to go that way.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Sorry the Stretch Salt didn't work out for you, DBCajun. My rationale considered that you mentioned wade fishing, and H1/H2 is the most corrosion-resistant steel in the lineup. Also, I wouldn't mind risking a $140 knife in the water, but $240... :thinking

Your post made me check a dozen or so of my linerless Seki folders, and I found a good deal of variability in the type of play you described. They ranged from the amount of play you experienced (as best I can tell) all the way to rock-solid and, sure enough, the Stretch Salt was one of the flexiest. Doesn't bother me like it does you, though. For future reference in case you want to search for a stiff-as-a-board, linerless Salt, the OG Salts and Pacific Salts were easily the most solid of mine.

I have four Caribbeans, two of each blade shape and two of each edge. They're wonderful knives and, truth to tell, you'll actually gain a couple of tenths in edge length. I think you'll love it! Let us know what you think.

By the way, if you enjoy the Stretch's ergos and prefer a sturdier knife, check out the CruWear G-10 version. Pricier, heavier and not suitable for salty conditions but, man, what a beautiful, solid folder for everything else!
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I definitely second the Waterway if you're interested in a fixie. I usually carry a Waterway (or MagnaCut Mule) and a Pacific Salt for fishing. Now that I have the Stretch, I'll probably carry it and the Waterway.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Coastal wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:57 pm
I definitely second the Waterway if you're interested in a fixie. I usually carry a Waterway (or MagnaCut Mule) and a Pacific Salt for fishing. Now that I have the Stretch, I'll probably carry it and the Waterway.

I third the Waterway, love mine, and I'm not even a fisherman and live far from the ocean...

! BUT!: It is discontinued, you'd have to search and hurry up to get one!

I started a thread some time ago with links where the Waterway was still available, see here viewtopic.php?t=95979#p1761048 (did not check if it still the case)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Don't forget the upcoming Native Chief Salts. I would think they would be pretty sturdy similarly to the Native 5 LWs.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
DBCajun

Post by DBCajun »

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I’ll give the Waterway a look.

So I do an assortment of fishing. One of my favorite things is wade fishing with a cast net. I throw a 10 foot mullet net. I also surf fish from the beach and will wade in to throw a bait net. I don’t do a ton of in-water wade fishing here on the NC coast, but will certainly do so in Louisiana. I’m on the boat a few times a year fishing and running crab traps. Also some flounder gigging. All kind of a salt activities.

I don’t know how well a fixed blade on a belt would work when throwing my large net. I could see it hanging up. I could also see it getting in the way when handling crab traps. I’ve never been a fan of sheaths on my belt. But my wife wants me to have a knife on me when I’m out throwing the large net in case I need to quickly cut myself free. I wouldn’t want a folder for that either. I’m thinking a fixed SE dive knife I can strap to an arm or leg. (Suggestions for this also welcome). Aside from the net, I think the Caribbean should work for most of the other stuff. Excited to test it out!

Edit: I need to do some test runs with a sheath knife with the net throwing. I can probably make it work on the belt. My net load and rope are on my left side, so right hip might work. It’s a lot of net to fool with and can catch on just about anything. The Enough 2 SE looks like a nice knife.
Last edited by DBCajun on Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DBCajun

Post by DBCajun »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:26 pm
Don't forget the upcoming Native Chief Salts. I would think they would be pretty sturdy similarly to the Native 5 LWs.
Will check those out!
standy99

Post by standy99 »

I use Pacific Salts in the boat for all bait cutting and fishing requirements, and have for over 15 years

But don’t go past the Salt Enuff. Have one for rope cutting handy, be it crab pot ropes or tied off

https://files.catbox.moe/hg904k.jpeg
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.