A Different Bi-Directional FRN

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

A Different Bi-Directional FRN

Post by wrdwrght »

My recent acquisition of a Chaparral5 and a Maxamet Sage5 has made me aware of FRN scales with a Bi-Directional Texturing that is not typical of Seki models.
I’m often slow to the party. Who knows the future and reasons for this design, which is so satisfying in my hand?
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
TimButterfield

Re: A Different Bi-Directional FRN

Post by TimButterfield »

That was one of the reasons I bought my Maxamet Sage 5. These scales are not like any other I had. I like the pattern. It's slightly less aggressive than the regular one.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I find it cool that the pattern actually IS bidirectional, while this is less obvious to the eye at first glance than with the Seki and Golden variants.

I like it, though I could not say if better than the Seki/Golden pattern or not.

Only have that kind of "honeycomb" pattern on the Chap - not the best knife for comparing to Seki FRNs, cause the Chap is pretty unique (very thin, always held with finger in choil)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Of the Spyderco FRN that I have used I like the Taichung pattern best. I find G. Sakai second best and Golden is the least preferred and snaggiest.

I have not used the old volcano pattern, nor the fishscale, Jess Horn, smooth (e.g. Centofante, Roadie), small squares (UKPK, Squeak, SpyDK, Urban) and whichever I have overlooked. I am curious about all of these.

I generally don't require the grippiest scales possible. I tend to like smooth or micro textured surfaces.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The BDT on the Chaparral LW is very good and it doesn't snag. I like it....a lot. Is it better than Seki? I don't know about that. I think it depends on use. The Chaparral BDT is really good for knives that get carried a lot and might get used hard, in muddy, slimy situations every blue moon. The Seki BDT is better for more frequent hard, or muddy, or slimy use.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

IMG_4324.jpeg
It would be fun if these textures came back, even though I’m not a big frn fan. I don’t care for the modern bi directional pattern
:bug-red-white
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:32 am
IMG_4324.jpeg
It would be fun if these textures came back, even though I’m not a big frn fan. I don’t care for the modern bi directional pattern
I also miss the volcano grip texture on spydies myself. Sure it was maybe not as grippy as the new texture but i find it more appealing personally.
MrGibson

Post by MrGibson »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
IMG_4324.jpeg
I hope any new FRN Caly 3/3.5s have the fish scale texture. My favorite pattern.
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
IMG_4324.jpeg
I enjoy the volcano on my salt 1. The caly jr fishscales look so nice too.
The taichung texture is definitely my favorite
Tristan_david2001

apollo wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:30 am
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
IMG_4324.jpeg
I also miss the volcano grip texture on spydies myself. Sure it was maybe not as grippy as the new texture but i find it more appealing personally.
I find that the more subtle textures do the trick for me. I don’t need a super abrasive texture like the wedge pattern on most of the modern frn models. It makes the knife feel more plastic-y if that makes any sense.
Road Tripper

Post by Road Tripper »

I had a Chaparral FRN and Sage 5 LW, but moved them along because they snagged a bit going in out of pocket (blue jeans). I know there's a smooth spot for the clip, but I think it was the edges of the handle that were catching. By contrast, my Delicas and Manix LW are fine.

(I was able to get one of the closeout Sage 5 CF/G10 models and am very happy with it.)
Last edited by Road Tripper on Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tristan_david2001

MrGibson wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:58 am
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
IMG_4324.jpeg
I hope any new FRN Caly 3/3.5s have the fish scale texture. My favorite pattern.
I do really love the fishscale pattern, I like that it’s unique to just the calypso jr. It suits that design to me. Im very interested to see what the frn calys texture design will be, part of me wants it to be unique. But the biggest part of me doesn’t actually want plastic handles at all. A classy design like the caly would be great with some linen micarta scales, I just hope frn doesn’t become the only option the future calys will be made with.