Experience/Opinion on Skiff FingerBit?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Hatuletoh

Experience/Opinion on Skiff FingerBit?

Post by Hatuletoh »

Has anyone ever used one of these: https://www.skiffmadeblades.com/product ... apor-honed

Or if you haven't actually used one but you're mechanically minded with a better imagination than me, would you care to hazard a guess as to it's utility and effectiveness? I looks to me like it would work well, but I can't find any reviews, user experiences, etc.

After fighting my Military 2 for about a month, I finally got the the screws on the thing loosened so that I could disassembled it and dye the scales. What I learned from that month of frustration was that sometimes one needs more torque than even long-handled Wiha drivers provide. So I'm in the market for a good driver for 1/4" bits, especially because my next project will be upgraded scales for a new Microtech MSI, and the pivot screw on the MSI is a T12. All I have in that size is a 1/4" bit and the short, hard to hold, almost useless little driver that came with the bit set; and if that beefy T12 pivot screw on the MSI has an amount of red thread-locker commensurate to what was on the knife's T8 hardware, well...I'm going need plenty of torque. Leave it to Microtech to finally switch out their ridiculous proprietary hardware for torx screws, and then smear red loctite all over then. Even the screws for the "reversible" pocket clip were covered in it.
Giygas

Re: Experience/Opinion on Skiff FingerBit?

Post by Giygas »

Heat is the best way to defeat thread locker, not torque. A soldering iron is usually enough. Just hold the tip to the screw head.

The best use for the finger bit, in my opinion, is for free spinning pivots. It's much easier to use that and a regular driver than it is to try to use two regular drivers.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
SpyderJunky

Post by SpyderJunky »

Bit ratchet?

"I have too many Spyderco knives"-said no man ever.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I thought Spyderco stopped using red loctite years ago?? I've probably taken apart a good 30 Spyderco knives over the past 6 years for one reason or another and have never encountered red loctite. I can't imagine them switching back to it now, that wouldn't make sense after all the complaints they were getting when they were using it.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Yup, that's what I understood as well, Rick.
They stopped using red loctite years ago.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I just switched clip on my MSI to lefty a couple days ago and the threads appeared to have blue Loctite on threads and had no problems . I do have the backing plate for clip inside scale fall out but easy fix folding a cloth inside scale to reassemble . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:03 am
I thought Spyderco stopped using red loctite years ago?? I've probably taken apart a good 30 Spyderco knives over the past 6 years for one reason or another and have never encountered red loctite. I can't imagine them switching back to it now, that wouldn't make sense after all the complaints they were getting when they were using it.
Since he's talking about a Microtech MSI, it doesn't really matter what Spyderco is using.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

yablanowitz wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:22 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:03 am
Since he's talking about a Microtech MSI, it doesn't really matter what Spyderco is using.
I was more thinking about the part where he said he was fighting his Military 2 for a month.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Yeah, but he didn't say he found red Locktite, only that it kicked his butt for two months.
Hatuletoh

Post by Hatuletoh »

yablanowitz wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:00 pm
Yeah, but he didn't say he found red Locktite, only that it kicked his butt for two months.
Right. To clarify: the Military did not have red loctite on any of its hardware. There was blue loctite on all of it, but that didn't cause me any problems. The problem was that the four screws in the handle, i.e., two on each side sunk into the spacers, were so tight I couldn't get them to turn. At first I thought the problem was loctite, but I got those screws and the spacers to which they were connected hot enough for long enough to loosen loctite of any color, and I still couldn't move them. I'd unscrewed the pivot and pocket clips screws off without issue, but those four in the spacers wouldn't budge. I finally managed to get them turned by locking the T8 bit into a power drill and manually turning the whole drill; I was afraid I'd strip the bolts if I actually used the drill in the normal manner. It worked great as an oversized driver, but I want a more convenient option going forward. Still haven't decided on the Skiff FingerBit, but given it's relatively low price, I'll probably order one.