Manbug broken screw

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
LeDe

Manbug broken screw

Post by LeDe »

Hello,

I received a Manbug VG10 Wharcliff from a reputable shop but unfortunately the backlock was not working.
Sending it back was 50% of the knife price so the seller proposed to reimburse 50% and I could try fixing it.
It was easier and could be a fun project so I accepted.
Unfortunately the top (holding the blade) screw seems to be broken. When i tried to unscrew it it directly came off and a piece of seems to have stayed within the "pin".

So the question is: is there any chance I can get the right spare parts in Europe or is it a lost cause?
What are the exact names/sizes I am even looking for?

Thanks and regards,
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Manbug broken screw

Post by Doc Dan »

Contact Spyderco customer service.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

You mean the lockbar-screw? (So the screw the lockbar pivots around)?

Perhaps you could provide pics (see here how tp post such in a convenient way viewtopic.php?t=83968#p1332284)?

... I am from Europe too and Spyderco did send me clip screws several times and one time (or two times?) a pivot screw (so the screw the blade pivots around, not like I assume in your case the lockbar).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

Hi Warstein,

Thanks for the reply.

I will try to post pics a bit later.

This is actually the pivot screw. I finally removed the "tube" it screws into. And it seems the screw broke into it.

As Dan advise, I will start with the customer service.

Best,
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:50 pm
Contact Spyderco customer service.
Hi Dan,

Thanks a lot.

I was not sure they would be able to help in Europe.

Best regards,
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

Seems to me that if a "reputable shop" sent you a broken knife that they are responsible for sending a deflective knife and should send you a Return Shipping Label gratis. :thinking

nb
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

N. Brian Huegel wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:22 am
Seems to me that if a "reputable shop" sent you a broken knife that they are responsible for sending a deflective knife and should send you a Return Shipping Label gratis. :thinking

nb
That is what they SHOULD do. It depends on the culture and how Judeo-Christian their values are. Over here, their values are shaped by other religions and if you have a problem, you are the bad guy, not the one that caused it. Very different.

However, I agree that the place he purchased it from should have offered to do that instead of giving him 50% off. I did have a popular online knife store in the US make me that same deal, though. In my case the knife was useable, but had i. I issues. I had to fix it myself. I haven't done business with them, since.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

N. Brian Huegel wrote:

nb

I also wonder what kind of "reputable shop" this could be, that makes one pay the shipping costs for returning a clearly defective knife.

In any case it can´t be based here in Europe, since the op mentioned that sending the knife back would cost "50% of the knife price" (in case of Europe 50% of the Manbug price would be a out 35 to 45 Euros (38 to 48 USD) = their shipping costs... a lot more than a parcel to from a Euro country to a Euro country normally costs).

/ But again, LeDe: I am pretty sure Spydercos customer service can help you out!
When they sent me clip / pivot screws several times, it even was for free and in two cases they even added a small tube of loctite.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:52 pm
N. Brian Huegel wrote:

nb
That is what they SHOULD do. It depends on the culture and how Judeo-Christian their values are. Over here, their values are shaped by other religions and if you have a problem, you are the bad guy, not the one that caused it. Very different.

However, I agree that the place he purchased it from should have offered to do that instead of giving him 50% off. I did have a popular online knife store in the US make me that same deal, though. In my case the knife was useable, but had i. I issues. I had to fix it myself. I haven't done business with them, since.
I agree but i would sooner put the problem in the hands of a mix off lazyness and capitalism. :winking-tongue

Myself i have never run in to an issue like this myself. I do hope you can get it fixed!
DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

Send it back to Spyderco and let them fix it correctly.