Sage 5 in REX 121 + burnt orange

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
weeping minora

Re: Sage 5 in REX 121 + burnt orange

Post by weeping minora »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:37 pm
weeping minora wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:51 pm
Waiting to see if a REX 121 MULE is in the upcoming reveal, or this might make its way into my purchase list. I'm also curious if this is a Sprint Run, or a standard offering. Nice to see SPY27 making its way into Taichung, as well!
I'll never understand how new steels are introduced in folders BEFORE the Mules are released. I thought the Mules were supposed to be a trial for the steels, guage feedback and interest in those and THEN proceed to folders if they think it will be a hit. Am I wrong, honest question for anybody that knows?
100% agree.

This is the second newest steel to follow this trend (first being 15V). Obviously, in-house testing has been in the works for nearly ~3 years that we know of, in looking back at posts of sal mentioning carrying a REX 121 Sage. Casualest bombshell of all casual bombshells, right there. Maybe we aren't trusted, nor worthy, to give the feedback required (or demanded?) for steels of this caliber?

Jestful remark aside, I hope this isn't due to the MULE Team not being worth the investment for the testing platform anymore, or due to folks buying MULES solely to collect, flip, or otherwise being uncooperative in giving feedback. Whatever it is, it certainly deviates from the premise and purpose of the MULE Team, and I don't like that the company seems to be taking this direction regarding their brand new product, which ironically are the steels themselves, anymore.

Just my two pennies. Perhaps we can get a chime in from sal, or Michael, touching on the subject.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

On REX-121, based on the superior edge retention, difficulty in fabrication of the blade, difficulty for the foundry to make the steel and comparison to Maxamet you wonder how much the Sage 5 in REX-121 will sell for. Currently, Sage 5 Maxamet FRN goes for $229.60.

CPM® REX® 121(HS) Data Sheet: https://www.crucible.com/eselector/prod ... pm121.html

This is Larrin’s Edge Retention Test which includes both Rex 121 and Maxamet at the very top but Z-Max and 15V are not too far behind.

TCC is Total Cardstock Cut in millimeters.

Last edited by RamZar on Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Unbrokenchain33

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

Not to derail my own thread but another Sage 5 in cobalt blue and SPY27?! Gonna be a great year! Now let’s get a salt Sage5!
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

I'm in for this. I love the burnt orange and never had a sage or rex 121!.....hopefully it will be available before this upcoming fall harvest!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Stoked about this one, but when do we get a Sage2 reboot in something... Maybe magnacut?

The Sage5 might be the best Sage by a few points, but the Sage1 and 2 are still the ones I reach for.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

looks like the sage LW is becoming the go to steel platform for new applications. I hadn't used a sage LW before I picked up one in M4. Its great, even better with aftermarket scales. Rex 121 is like looking at flight paths of aircraft and then you see the U2 or SR71 flying way above!
vanka

Post by vanka »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:37 pm
weeping minora wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:51 pm
Waiting to see if a REX 121 MULE is in the upcoming reveal, or this might make its way into my purchase list. I'm also curious if this is a Sprint Run, or a standard offering. Nice to see SPY27 making its way into Taichung, as well!
I'll never understand how new steels are introduced in folders BEFORE the Mules are released. I thought the Mules were supposed to be a trial for the steels, guage feedback and interest in those and THEN proceed to folders if they think it will be a hit. Am I wrong, honest question for anybody that knows?
I believe it comes down to "lessons learned". As far as I remember there was a bunch of warped blades with Maxamet and later on with Z-max. No point of wasting expensive steel if they can't avoid certain percentage of warping in a blade with the size of a mule. Although I hope what I'm saying is completely bonkers. Because I want Rex121 mule. At least one. And I have the strange feeling that Rex121 won't stop with the Sage. I'm totally convinced we'll see more of it in the 3" blade form factor.
adv23

Post by adv23 »

Better than yellow. I'm in!
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

It sounds like there are plans to make use of several of the REX series steels. There were recently Mules in stuff like REXT15 and maybe that was good practice.
Spyderco also already had experience with the similarly extreme Maxamet in the Sage’s blade.
I’m sure it’s happened in the past, but we don’t actually know if the Sage will come before a Mule. It has not been featured in a reveal yet, so it’s entirely possible that a Mule could arrive at the same time, or first.

I’m really looking forward to all the cool possibilities.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
barnaclesonaboat

Post by barnaclesonaboat »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:29 pm
I think REX121 will lend itself to a smaller knife like the Sage. As it will chip easier it would be better for lighter tasks.

Basically you would not baton with REX121 or a Sage but a Manix 2 XL and a tough steel like Cruwear would be useful for some light batoning tasks.
Yes, that makes sense. I've heard the Sage bladestock is thinner, and such a platform would more readily take advantage of the thin/slicey potential of a super hard tool steel than a number of the thicker-stocked folders. While the Native 5 handle is a little awkward/small for my hand/preferences, the Para3 feels pretty good so I'll hold out hope that the Sage handle will have a chance at being safely useable. I don't mind smaller blades as long as I can hold on to them and manipulate them safely!
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I don't need this level of edge retention. But, REX-121 is such a way-out bonkers exotic material, it makes sense to get at least one. For science.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:47 am
I don't need this level of edge retention. But, REX-121 is such a way-out bonkers exotic material, it makes sense to get at least one. For science.

For science! :woozy

Reminds me of a cook on an Earth spaceship landing in a Forbidden Planet (1956) but finding an understanding robot!

https://youtu.be/WzTBlMA1DgY?si=yLwTgb_h0Q_OGEoR
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

RamZar wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:06 am
For science! :woozy

Reminds me of a cook on an Earth spaceship landing in a Forbidden Planet (1956) but finding an understanding robot!

https://youtu.be/WzTBlMA1DgY?si=yLwTgb_h0Q_OGEoR
😆
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
ImaCutSumSchitt84

Post by ImaCutSumSchitt84 »

Can anyone confirm if this is a production or sprint, Eric doesn't say in the video, only refers to the "production version". He does make it a point to say sprint when talking about the 15v manix lw so it's hard to tell just going by the video
PM2 TripleB 15v, PM2 BB K390, Shaman TripleB 15v, Shaman BHQ DLC M4, Shaman Cru-Carta, Para 3 DLT DLC Cru-Wear, Para 3 BB K390, Para 3 FL Elmax, GB Folder 2 M4, Slysz Bowie M390, SpydieChef LC200N, Native Salt LC200N, Domino BB CTS-204p, Delica 4 K390, Dragonfly S30V, Manix 2 s110v, Manix 2 LW Maxamet, Mule Team 27 PD#1 Amboyna burl

Wishlist: Chaparral TripleB 15v, Chaparral blue denim Micarta Rex121, Sage 5 blue denim Micarta Rex121
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

ImaCutSumSchitt84 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:12 am
Can anyone confirm if this is a production or sprint, Eric doesn't say in the video, only refers to the "production version". He does make it a point to say sprint when talking about the 15v manix lw so it's hard to tell just going by the video

Hopefully, the upcoming Reveal 15 will answer a lot of questions.
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can’t tell you how happy I am about the recent additions to the Sage 5 family. Best 3” Spyderco, imo…to see if getting this much attention is amazing, man.

*cough* cruwear
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Manifestgtr wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:20 pm
I can’t tell you how happy I am about the recent additions to the Sage 5 family. Best 3” Spyderco, imo…to see if getting this much attention is amazing, man.

*cough* cruwear

The only two Sage models still in production have Compression Lock & FRN (S30V & Maxamet).

The two models previewed at SHOT Show 2024 are also Compression Lock & FRN (SPY27 & REX-121).

What the Sage line also needs are MagnaCut and Cru-Wear.
Last edited by RamZar on Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I thought I heard Eric say it's a sprint. One that I'll have to try darn it.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Bemo wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:18 pm
I thought I heard Eric say it's a sprint. One that I'll have to try darn it.
Any source?

I heard Eric say it was "being brought into production", but that didn't specify if it was a continual production, or Sprint Run.

ETA; "We're bringing it into production" reference, 2:27 in this video:

Last edited by weeping minora on Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

papermoon88 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:51 pm
Good to hear that Spyderco releases Rex121 model. I am using ~3.5" rex121 knife made by BBB and loving its high yield strength, edge longevity, and ease of sharpening. King of slicing steel, IMO.
I'm glad to hear.

I won't be involved with heat treating this one.

Excited to see what Spyderco cooks up.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives