UKPK in Spy27 & G10 at Shot Show

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Coastal

Re: UKPK in Spy27 & G10 at Shot Show

Post by Coastal »

I really like the FRN UKPKs just as they are. Honestly, I'm a little tired of G-10. It's a good handle material, but it's probably my least favorite of them all. So no, I'm not interested unless it were chosen as a forum knife.

Coincidentally, I just ordered a regular FRN SPY-27 UKPK for a blade swap into some VaporPuffin titanium scales I got several months ago. I was planning on using a MagnaCut blade, but finally lost patience. I like SPY-27, though, so it's all good.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Coastal wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:18 pm
I was planning on using a MagnaCut blade, but finally lost patience. I like SPY-27, though, so it's all good.
I like Spy27 too but there seems to be Complete radio silence surrounding the FRN Magnacut model’s release.

Has it been postponed further?
Are we waiting for the new factory to be built first?
Is it still happening?
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I have the FRN, but I have a hunch if you polish this G10 it would be gorgeous.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Flash wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:41 pm
Coastal wrote:
I was planning on using a MagnaCut blade, but finally lost patience. I like SPY-27, though, so it's all good.
I like Spy27 too but there seems to be Complete radio silence surrounding the FRN Magnacut model’s release.

Is it still happening?
I was thinking I had set my expectations quite low when I hoped to have the magnacut UKPK in hand before my summer vacation last year :)

That's beside the point though, what I liked about the preveal of this variation of the UKPK (Spy27 and G10) is that it offers something that sets it more apart from the Salt version. I was quite happy to see the FRN Spy27 revealed because a Spy27 UKPK has been so frequently requested on the forum, but with FRN scales it would be too similar to the salt for me to justify a purchase. This G10 version could be the one that persuades me to get a second one. Or.. who knows, maybe even this one will hit the shelves before the magnacut salt - in which case I might get my second one first :thinking
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

aicolainen wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:58 pm
Flash wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:41 pm
Coastal wrote:

Is it still happening?
I was thinking I had set my expectations quite low when I hoped to have the magnacut UKPK in hand before my summer vacation last year :)

That's beside the point though, what I liked about the preveal of this variation of the UKPK (Spy27 and G10) is that it offers something that sets it more apart from the Salt version. I was quite happy to see the FRN Spy27 revealed because a Spy27 UKPK has been so frequently requested on the forum, but with FRN scales it would be too similar to the salt for me to justify a purchase. This G10 version could be the one that persuades me to get a second one. Or.. who knows, maybe even this one will hit the shelves before the magnacut salt - in which case I might get my second one first :thinking
As has been pointed out in another thread (link: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84345), some aftermarket scale options are only available for the FRN split spring, and not for the full back spring a la the G-10 models. Might be a consideration if you ever planned to scale swap a SPY27 blade, in the future.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

weeping minora wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:08 pm
As has been pointed out in another thread (link: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84345), some aftermarket scale options are only available for the FRN split spring, and not for the full back spring a la the G-10 models. Might be a consideration if you ever planned to scale swap a SPY27 blade, in the future.
Thanks for the heads up! That's nice to know.
I think I prefer this G10 version still. I don't tend to swap scales much and as much as I like light weight knives, a full back spring adds a touch of class that I can appreciate some times.
It may sound weird coming from someone who wants everything to be FRN and linerless, but for all its practicality one can only get so enthusiastic over plastic. Got to compensate every now and then, I guess.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

aicolainen wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:20 pm
weeping minora wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:08 pm
Thanks for the heads up! That's nice to know.
I think I prefer this G10 version still. I don't tend to swap scales much and as much as I like light weight knives, a full back spring adds a touch of class that I can appreciate some times.
It may sound weird coming from someone who wants everything to be FRN and linerless, but for all its practicality one can only get so enthusiastic over plastic. Got to compensate every now and then, I guess.
You're welcome!

I know quite a few members here are into the handle/scale modification side of Spydies, and it was interesting to note the lack of compatibility between the split and full spring models. IMO, The FRN UKPK is great as-is; though I am quite excited for this G-10 iteration. I'd like to see an upscale wood handle version make its way into the model, one day.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Simonix

Post by Simonix »

Just a note to say that the blades on the full backspring g10 HH exclusive UKPKs are interchangeable with the FRN standard.

So one would hope that when this is released, you can swap the blade with another if you so wish.

Here’s my HH red g10, but with the new SPY27 blade.

RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Simonix wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:43 am
Just a note to say that the blades on the full backspring g10 HH exclusive UKPKs are interchangeable with the FRN standard.
Useful info, thanks! 👍
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
bgoode315

Post by bgoode315 »

I hope they do the drop point along w the leaf shape
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

Looking at my G-10 Dragonfly, I think the idea of a fully linered UKPK would make an awful lot of sense. The Dragonfly, which is much smaller, still carries it off perfectly and even has a slick look about it, so the idea of a fully linered Micarta UKPK surly has some merit, especially on an even larger knife.

But the one I think we need more than anything at the moment, is a full sized Native slipjoint taking this UK legal (and other places, I'm sure) model to the limit. But, in the meanwhile, these variants on the UKPK are still interesting.

Mark
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Bemo wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:19 pm
I have the FRN, but I have a hunch if you polish this G10 it would be gorgeous.
I'd love to see that. I smoothed the texture on my Ritter small RSK with mixed results.
- Richard
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

Once I saw these scales posted here I had to have them. Ordered for Heinnie Haynes about a week ago and they’ve already arrived from the UK. Ordered a new UKPK in CPM SPY27 at the same time. BOOM! An absolute stunner titanium build of one of the best Spyderco designs for under $175. I can attest these scales were well done. I’ve never felt the original Ti UKPK but it would be tough to beat what they did with these scales. If you own an FRN UKPN you simply need these.

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Man those look good!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005