Delica 4 in 2024?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Delica 4 in 2024?

Post by sal »

Hi Halfneck,

More than likely will do the entire Endura "family" in SPY27, in time.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:08 am
Hi Halfneck,

sal
Sounds good!

I do hope that Endura and Delica will also get an ffg SE version in that steel then, since we don't have that option in VG10 (just sabre grind)... never tried SPY27 so far, but I figure it could work great with teeth.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:13 am
sal wrote:
Hi Halfneck,

sal
Sounds good!

I do hope that Endura and Delica will also get an ffg SE version in that steel then, since we don't have that option in VG10 (just sabre grind)... never tried SPY27 so far, but I figure it could work great with teeth.
Would seem more likely to see SE SPY27 make its way into the Golden line-up before anything out of Seki. It seems SPY27 is just now starting to spread its wings after ~4 years of existence. We may be close to seeing SE SPY27, though I feel that a few more models will be revealed/introduced in PE SPY27 before we see SE happen.

sal has also mentioned that the Endura "family" run in SPY27 will be Sprint Runs, making it even further less-likely to see Seki SE SPY27 happen. Of course, this Sprint Run idea may have changed since sal made that statement.

As with everything else around here, if you want it, push for it and have patience. So... perhaps the future. I'd say if SPY27 interests you, get a piece now and get to know it in PE. The SS MULE is a great opportunity without having to shell out for a model you may not jive with. I know you like the Manix as well, so the LW Manix is an option, and now comes in screw construction.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

sal wrote:
Hi Halfneck,

sal
Sign me up for a Delica and if I could put in a request: polished clips like the S30V sprints would be great.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

sal wrote:
Hi Halfneck,

sal

Now, this is indeed great news. I love how SPY27 sharpens and performs. Polished clips would be a bonus.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

weeping minora wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:59 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:13 am
sal wrote:
Hi Halfneck,

sal
Sounds good!

Would seem more likely to see SE SPY27 make its way into the Golden line-up before anything out of Seki. It seems SPY27 is just now starting to spread its wings after ~4 years of existence. We may be close to seeing SE SPY27, though I feel that a few more models will be revealed/introduced in PE SPY27 before we see SE happen.

sal has also mentioned that the Endura "family" run in SPY27 will be Sprint Runs, making it even further less-likely to see Seki SE SPY27 happen. Of course, this Sprint Run idea may have changed since sal made that statement.

As with everything else around here, if you want it, push for it and have patience. So... perhaps the future. I'd say if SPY27 interests you, get a piece now and get to know it in PE. The SS MULE is a great opportunity without having to shell out for a model you may not jive with. I know you like the Manix as well, so the LW Manix is an option, and now comes in screw construction.

Thanks for your detailled reply!

- Actually I´d be completely happy if the full SE VG10 Endura and Delica came in ffg, just like the Endela. As it is, they are sabre grind (in SE) or, if ffg, have a wharnie blade (and I think the wharnie SEs are disco´ed).
A VG10 ffg Endura SE regular blade shape , just like the Endela SE, only bigger, might very well be my personal perfect EDC folder.

- Endura and Delica do come in ffg SE as K390 versions (also disco´ed though, as far as I an recall) - but I shy away a bit from such a hard steel with teeth - or at least actually don´t need such a steel in SE, since VG10 SE already keeps a usable "sharpness" very long and much longer than in PE and is certainly a lot easier / quicker to touch up again.

- Spy 27 seems to be a good "middle ground" between VG10 and K390 in edge retention and sharpenability. So if I can´t have my VG10 SE ffg Endura, Spy 27 might be a good - or even better! -alternative for that.

/ I very much hope that the Spy 27 Endura family will NOT "just" be a sprint run!! I think with K390 it was not clear in the beginning (too) if sprint run or regular production, and finally it became the latter.
I guess I´d love Spy27 in PE - though I still don´t think that in the "PE arena" a Spy27 Endura could "beat" my beloved HAP 40 sprint.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:29 pm

Thanks for your detailled reply!

- Actually I´d be completely happy if the full SE VG10 Endura and Delica came in ffg, just like the Endela. As it is, they are sabre grind (in SE) or, if ffg, have a wharnie blade (and I think the wharnie SEs are disco´ed).
A VG10 ffg Endura SE regular blade shape , just like the Endela SE, only bigger, might very well be my personal perfect EDC folder.

- Endura and Delica do come in ffg SE as K390 versions (also disco´ed though, as far as I an recall) - but I shy away a bit from such a hard steel with teeth - or at least actually don´t need such a steel in SE, since VG10 SE already keeps a usable "sharpness" very long and much longer than in PE and is certainly a lot easier / quicker to touch up again.

- Spy 27 seems to be a good "middle ground" between VG10 and K390 in edge retention and sharpenability. So if I can´t have my VG10 SE ffg Endura, Spy 27 might be a good - or even better! -alternative for that.

/ I very much hope that the Spy 27 Endura family will NOT "just" be a sprint run!! I think with K390 it was not clear in the beginning (too) if sprint run or regular production, and finally it became the latter.
I guess I´d love Spy27 in PE - though I still don´t think that in the "PE arena" a Spy27 Endura could "beat" my beloved HAP 40 sprint.
It is quite a wonder as to why the Delica and Endura have retained the Saber Grind for their SE and not updated to a Full Flat SE. A much needed CQI for the models, IMO. Perhaps there are underlying factors that put this change at risk, which is why we haven't yet seen it happen.

SPY27 has the advantage in sharpenability when compared to K390, that's for sure. It behaves very similar to VG-10 in sharpening response. You can maintain a very sharp edge with just stropping, for quite some time. The edge will however degrade much faster the more fatigued the steel becomes, in repeatedly doing this; meaning you can still achieve a sharp edge through prolonged stropping, though you will have to strop much more frequently after usage. It's quite a wonder how stable the apex seems to be, whilst being pliable enough to strop it back to shape, for so long. The edge character between SPY27 and VG-10 are quite relatable, being that they both wear and degrade similarly over time.

The overall edge retention does seem to favor SPY27, though I have had times in thinking that they felt much closer, than different. Within my usage, I do believe that SPY27 sits much closer to VG-10 in edge retention, rather than a middle ground between VG-10 and K390. Being a "tweaked" variant of VG-10, the main upgrade seems to be in edge longevity (*when accounting for edge maintainence between sharpenings), and the ability to resist permanent deformation (fracturing/chipping). I've had VG-10 chip, whereas I've only ever had SPY27 blunt (which can then be stropped back in a pinch), and in very rare circumstances, flatten (when contacting metal, or extremely hard materials).

There seems to be something strange happening within the matrix of SPY27. I took a Native 5 edge geometry down rather low, and found the apex stability to be quite poor. Another member here expressed a lackluster experience with SPY27 when running a similar geometry. It seems that even though the carbide structure is very fine grained, and hardened quite high (*as far as has been documented; ~62rc), the apex does not seem to be able to withstand acute geometries. Typically, we think the harder the steel (strength/stability), coupled with a fine carbide microstructure (toughness), the more stable the apex will be, and will be able to hold a much more acute geometry, well. IME, VG-10 will hold a more acute geometry when compared to SPY27, though is more susceptible to fracture/chipping depending on the usage.

I have been both amazed by the properties of SPY27, whilst being simultaneously perplexed. The tweaking to the chemistry of VG-10 makes SPY27 an interesting steel, though it cements the status of VG-10 as being an absolute world class steel, IMO. They took greatness and merely rearranged a couple of its attributes.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

I was cutting up a thick cardboard box with my VG10 Delica and it slipped and slammed down on my countertop. No rolling or damage. Held up great.
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

I've been waiting for a Delica 5 for a long time. S45VN as standard, less hardware etc.

Or let's dream : a liner lock Delica.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

sal wrote:
Hi Halfneck,

sal
Thanks for the reply Sal.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Xformer wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:04 pm
I've been waiting for a Delica 5 for a long time. S45VN as standard, less hardware etc.

I do like linerlocks, and would find a variant of the Delica with that lock interesting, but generally:
Why? (Honest question)

The backlock works great on this model, right?
And I think if one kept the Delica as thin as it is (blade and handle) but gave it a linerlock, the lock up technically just could not be as strong as with the backlock - really not much lock interface possible for the linerlock with that thinnesses both in blade and handle?
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:40 am
Xformer wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:04 pm

I do like linerlocks, and would find a variant of the Delica with that lock interesting, but generally:
Why? (Honest question)

The backlock works great on this model, right?
And I think if one kept the Delica as thin as it is (blade and handle) but gave it a linerlock, the lock up technically just could not be as strong as with the backlock - really not much lock interface possible for the linerlock with that thinnesses both in blade and handle?
I think if trend holds, it will be a compression lock. Although in use, I have come to appreciate the backlock more.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The Delica better not ever have a compression lock!! That seems like a sin to even think of it that way.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Why would it would suddenly switch from a backlock to a compression lock?

(Answer: it wouldn’t)
-Nick :bug-red
Stas

Post by Stas »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:46 am
The Delica better not ever have a compression lock!! That seems like a sin to even think of it that way.
Absolutely! Para 3 is the perfect remedy for those sinful thoughts. Thinner stock – back lock :D
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Stas wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:59 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Absolutely! Para 3 is the perfect remedy for those sinful thoughts. Thinner stock – back lock :D
Just for the sake of argument, the Watu had 2.5mm blade stock and a comp lock...so Spyderco is able to do it on Delica-thickness blades.

But yeah, I really like the backlock on the Delica and don't want that to change.
MNOSD #0051
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age."
Stas

Post by Stas »

Skywalker wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:13 am
Stas wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:59 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Just for the sake of argument, the Watu had 2.5mm blade stock and a comp lock...so Spyderco is able to do it on Delica-thickness blades.

But yeah, I really like the backlock on the Delica and don't want that to change.
Thanks! Didn't realise that!
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

Do they even make compression locks in the japanese plants? Or any lock other than backlocks for that matter?
Stas

Post by Stas »

horzuff wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:53 am
Do they even make compression locks in the japanese plants? Or any lock other than backlocks for that matter?
Lil' Temperance 3
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

Oh, right, missed that one :D