XL knives to look forward to

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tristan_david2001

Re: XL knives to look forward to

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Steeltoez83 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:22 pm
At bladeshow this year I spent a few minutes checking out the prototype case. There was a decent amount of xl prototypes to view. All of them looked nice but the 4 inch caly stood out to me. I decided that would be my next xl spydie when it launches.
The Caly 4 prototype was displayed at bladeshow?
I’m so darn eager to see this design, hopefully not too much longer aways.
:bug-red-white
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:03 am
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:42 am
... This xl knives thread isn’ talking about knives that specifically are designed In mind for self defense and that’s not the only reason to carry a larger knife
I agree 100%! But you will note that he said nobody needed a knife over 3 inches in blade length for self defense. That is what I was responding to.
Perhaps I missed it but I can’t find in this thread who “he” is.

I ask because you have suggested that I opened the door for you to stomp all over this thread. I cannot find that invitation either.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
vivi

Post by vivi »

For me I think its mostly palm width. They're a bit over 4 1/4" wide, or wider than a closed Delica.

Thumbs are also a bit on the long side, so short handled knives with prominent thumb ramps (spyderco especially) make it tough to get a comfortable grip.
:unicorn
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:34 pm
Steeltoez83 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:22 pm
At bladeshow this year I spent a few minutes checking out the prototype case. There was a decent amount of xl prototypes to view. All of them looked nice but the 4 inch caly stood out to me. I decided that would be my next xl spydie when it launches.
The Caly 4 prototype was displayed at bladeshow?
I’m so darn eager to see this design, hopefully not too much longer aways.
So am I.

I wonder if it will be a scale-up of the 3.5, such that the blade will be taller (less sleek) than the Calypso’s, or will it be more like the Calypso’s. If the latter, will the Caly 4 actually be the next-gen Calypso?

Maybe Steeltoez or Sal will weigh in.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
vivi

Post by vivi »

If it comes in screw construction this time I'm hopping back on the calypso bandwagon.

Always loved the design but if it isn't a salt it needs to be able to be taken a part so I can k ock rust off hardware.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

One XL that I look forward to is more of is the Yojumbo. AFAIK there has been one sprint- s90v carbon fiber. Easy to imagine Knifecenter or DLT doing a cruwear run. I guess there may be limited interest because even the ever popular s90v sprints sat on shelves a while, but IMO it deserves a second look and at least another exclusive or sprint.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

spydergoat wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:58 pm
One XL that I look forward to is more of is the Yojumbo. AFAIK there has been one sprint- s90v carbon fiber. Easy to imagine Knifecenter or DLT doing a cruwear run. I guess there may be limited interest because even the ever popular s90v sprints sat on shelves a while, but IMO it deserves a second look and at least another exclusive or sprint.
I would LOVE a St Nicks Yojumbo! 🤤

The perfect knife for Deadpool - how has this not already happened?!
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

There were quite a few 4 inch folders in the prototype case. Photos were not allowed, and spyderco can make adjustments as they see fit. The caly 4 inch in my eyes looked like it was a scaled up version of the 3.5. From what I could see it looked like it carries very well in pocket, better than others at this size Has a blade shape I prefer over models like the native chief. At 4 inch blades I start looking at fixed blades being more practical than folders. However I feel like the handle and blade just flows together perfectly. I think they used G10 for the scales but it's a prototype not a finished product.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Steeltoez83 wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:16 pm
At 4 inch blades I start looking at fixed blades being more practical than folders.
I get this and mostly agree

but, I've come to really appreciate larger folders for on-the-go food prep. This despite me normally preferring small folding knives.

For backpacking, hiking - just about any backcountry adventure, I've come to prefer folding knives over fixed blades for the most common tasks. And especially food prep. They're light, compact, self contained (no sheath required) and easy to switch between backpack carry and pocket carry.
My ideal large folders are linerless, thin in pocket, lightweight and packs as much blade/edge into the handle as possible.
Salt is a plus and CE options are appreciated, but not something I need every knife to have. Standing up to hard use is not a concern.

There's still a place for fixed blades, large and small, and I was painfully reminded this last weekend. Preparing for a day of bird hunting I removed a 5" heavy bush craft style knife from my backpack to save weight. No big deal, I only use my folding knife anyways.
Well, on that particular day this assumption would backfire. Without getting too deep into the weeds, the short story is that I had to take down a couple of birch trees out in the field. With the Stretch 1 being the only sharp object I had on me, that's what I had to use. It was far from ideal. I think it might have developed slightly more vertical play than it had previously, but thankfully it's so little that I can't be completely sure if it really is more - or if the play that was already there is exaggerated by my fear of having applied some kind of wear or damage to it. It saved the day and is still perfectly usable - and that's what counts.
Lesson learned. From now on there will, at minimum, always be a lightweight Mora in my hunting backpack
vivi

Post by vivi »

^ another option is a lightweight folding saw. Gerber, Fiskars, Hunting Made Easy.....these are copied by many different brands and can readily be bought for $5-10. It'll be faster than hacking at small treees with a small or medium fixed blade, and doesn't have anywhere close to the weight penalty of a hatchet or chopper.

bumping this thread in hopes there's new XL models info that can be shared from shot show.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

vivi wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:33 am
^ another option is a lightweight folding saw. Gerber, Fiskars, Hunting Made Easy.....these are copied by many different brands and can readily be bought for $5-10. It'll be faster than hacking at small treees with a small or medium fixed blade, and doesn't have anywhere close to the weight penalty of a hatchet or chopper.

bumping this thread in hopes there's new XL models info that can be shared from shot show.
The Silky pocketboy is a surprisingly excellent little cutter with the curved large tooth blade on it. Folds up tiny, weighs very little, robust and almost every part of it is replaceable/field reparable. Fantastic bit of lightweight kit for the woods.

@vivi 🤞🏻 that XL Caribbean makes an appearance, or a Salt SE Manix XL.
- Al

Dream knives -
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Oooh, and the Cliffjumper 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻
- Al

Dream knives -
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

It might have already been mentioned but I will be all over the Stretch XL K390 if that ever happens.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

rybu0305 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:53 am
It might have already been mentioned but I will be all over the Stretch XL K390 if that ever happens.
Same.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.