Experiences with hawkbills?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Re: Experiences with hawkbills?

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

That’s how I use a hawkbill too, a pull cut from the rear, very effective on fibrous material…everybody needs at least one and if it’s not your cup of tea then sell it…I’ve got a Dfly, Tasman and Ladybug and I use them all…I would like a Cricket though.
GonzoRider

Post by GonzoRider »

Fastidiotus wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:23 am
I know it's not a true hawkbill and the packaging says explicitly not to because the tip is fragile, but I've never had a knife slide through cardboard as easily as my Matriarch. I never could fall in love with the delica but I think the serrated Tasman is still something that I'd like to try out.
I'll never use my Matriarch for its intended purpose but it's definitely still useful for other tasks. Funny I didn't notice that warning. Guess we've been lucky :beaming-face
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -HST
z1r

Post by z1r »

A timely reup for this thread. I just happened to be in the SFO Monday and picked up another DF2 HB in H2. I wanted to pick up the LB HB as well but HAD to have the Sub-Hilt they had on hand.

The Tasman is one of my favorites, especially in black. But to be honest, I really like the Byrd HB. Had to pick up one of them too!
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

The Tasman Salt works for the garden. What would work better is the blade design for the SpyderHawk, the handle of the SuperHawk, with LC200N and a serrated edge. That would be an awesome gardening knife.

The key with the SuperHawk handle is that pinky extension which is similar to the extension on the original Stretch. It really helps keep the knife in your hand when you are pulling across fibrous growth to cut and need a good grip without slipping. Just like having a guard at the front end of the handle is good for thrusts or pushing, a small extension is good when dealing with pulling.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

z1r wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:59 pm

The Tasman is one of my favorites, especially in black. But to be honest, I really like the Byrd HB. Had to pick up one of them too!
Picking up the Byrd Hawkbill was a good decision. If you don't really need the extra corrosion resistance and at a third of the cost of the Tasman that's a win. Actually I kinda prefer the serrations on the Byrd.
z1r

Post by z1r »

skeeg11 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:02 pm
z1r wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:59 pm

Picking up the Byrd Hawkbill was a good decision. If you don't really need the extra corrosion resistance and at a third of the cost of the Tasman that's a win. Actually I kinda prefer the serrations on the Byrd.
Yeah, me too. I like the finger choils on the Byrd. But I do really appreciate the the linerless construction of the Tasman, really nice for carrying in swimming shorts! Weighs next to nothing.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

BEER_IS_COOL wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:29 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:48 pm
I've been a devout Spyderco Hawkbill fan for a long time ( 20 years plus). I've found that using a medium sized, fully serrated Hawkbill like the Harpy model makes a great companion blade to work along side a favorite plain edged EDC blade.

One brother mentions "gardening". And yes a full sized, Hawkbill like the full SE Spyderhawk is a perfect gardening tool. Now I would be the first to tell you all that a Hawkbill blade is not for everyone. But you really don't know for sure until you try one out for your own personal cutting jobs.
I can see how this works well. I'm enjoying the hawkbill, but it definitely has gaps. Having a PE companion fills those gaps in for a good 1-2 punch.
I agree with you 1000%. For a long time I carried my G-10 Harpy along with one of my favorite PE blades from my rotation of PE blades. In the past few years I find myself carrying a full SE Spyderhawk along with my trusty M390 Military for daily chores in warmer weather. I do a lot of gardening in the summertime and I find a full SE Hawkbill to be an extremely valuable tool for gardening and landscaping chores. Full SE and a premium plain edge will usually do it all.
z1r

Post by z1r »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:45 am
BEER_IS_COOL wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:29 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:48 pm
I've been a devout Spyderco Hawkbill fan for a long time ( 20 years plus). I've found that using a medium sized, fully serrated Hawkbill like the Harpy model makes a great companion blade to work along side a favorite plain edged EDC blade.

One brother mentions "gardening". And yes a full sized, Hawkbill like the full SE Spyderhawk is a perfect gardening tool. Now I would be the first to tell you all that a Hawkbill blade is not for everyone. But you really don't know for sure until you try one out for your own personal cutting jobs.
I can see how this works well. I'm enjoying the hawkbill, but it definitely has gaps. Having a PE companion fills those gaps in for a good 1-2 punch.
I agree with you 1000%. For a long time I carried my G-10 Harpy along with one of my favorite PE blades from my rotation of PE blades. In the past few years I find myself carrying a full SE Spyderhawk along with my trusty M390 Military for daily chores in warmer weather. I do a lot of gardening in the summertime and I find a full SE Hawkbill to be an extremely valuable tool for gardening and landscaping chores. Full SE and a premium plain edge will usually do it all.
While we may not agree on which HB knife (only cuz I don't have one), I agree 100%. My Daily typically consists of one premium PE and a SE, usually a HB but sometimes SE Wharnie.