Looking for thoughts on Caly 3.5 vs. GB2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
z1r

Re: Looking for thoughts on Caly 3.5 vs. GB2

Post by z1r »

Went to the SFO Monday and meant to ask to handle the GB2. Say it displayed next to the Caly 3.5. But, before I could ask to see it, I spied a Sub-Hilt and HAD to have it. Totally forgot to ask to handle the GB2.

I already have a Caly 3.5, love it, but the GB2 clearly scratches a different itch. My only question is, how soon before I can get back to the SFO to try the GB2?
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

For me, the GB2 may be the best general knife Spyderco makes. I didn't realize how much I appreciate and apparently prefer a semi-neutral handle until I owned it. It's the most comfortable Spyderco knife I own, all of its angles/lines work to make using the blade intuitive and effective. The hollow grind would keep cutting even if you squared the edge off. I have no caly experience so am biased and 50% uninformed, but for the half I can speak to, I just don't think you'd be disappointed. It excels at nearly everything and is *bad* at nothing I've encountered so far.

FWIW I have large to very large hands and have never had an issue with accessing the lock myself. The whole thing's easy to use in every way that matters.
R100

Post by R100 »

I have both of these and I couldn't think of two more different knives. The Caly 3.5 is smaller and much more concealable but is really flimsy compared to a GB2. Mine has terrible lock rock, to the point of I have lent it to non-knife people and they have asked me what is wrong with it. The GB2 has rock solid lock up. The Caly 3.5 is also quite thick behind the edge and a poor slicer whereas the hollow ground GB2 is one of Spyderco's very best. The Caly's strength is that it is a small knife for the edge length you get but to me if you actually want to use it for cutting things it is totally inferior to a GB2.

Dan
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I will say it depends what you’re trying to sort out what the knife will do for you, The Gayle Bradley folders are much more harder use oriented designs by intention. The Calys are minimalist compact high performance edc folders. Different natures.
I will say I do kind of agree the caly 3.5 could be ground a little thinner. I don’t have an issue with how it cuts in any edc or smaller food prep scenarios, but I imagine it could do a little better just a little thinner. Mine locks up pretty tightly.
:bug-red-white
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

- i really don’t care for the Taichung carbon fiber laminate on top of g10. The pure carbon fiber handle that Moki does is just phenomenal looking. Especially on the older ones..
- if the gb1 or 2 came out in nicely contoured black linen micarta kept on the proud liners. Woo wee what a knife..
:bug-red-white
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

GB2 is one of the most neutral knives Spyderco makes IMO, which leads to a pretty universal appeal for anyone that likes a knife that size. The Caly 3.5 is definitely "more Spyderco" unique, if that makes sense.
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:43 am
- i really don’t care for the Taichung carbon fiber laminate on top of g10.
I'm a little the other way on this. I don't care for the Japan CF of my Caly 3.5 because of the smooth gloss finish. It may take me a little while to warm up to that. My Taichung CF/G10 Chaparral, Sliverax, and Watu have a subtle texture which I currently prefer. My GB2 is the jade G10 version, but I like that texture also.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

abbazaba wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:24 am
GB2 is one of the most neutral knives Spyderco makes IMO, which leads to a pretty universal appeal for anyone that likes a knife that size. The Caly 3.5 is definitely "more Spyderco" unique, if that makes sense.
Well said! Makes perfect sense to me
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TimButterfield wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:27 am
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:43 am
- i really don’t care for the Taichung carbon fiber laminate on top of g10.
I'm a little the other way on this. I don't care for the Japan CF of my Caly 3.5 because of the smooth gloss finish. It may take me a little while to warm up to that. My Taichung CF/G10 Chaparral, Sliverax, and Watu have a subtle texture which I currently prefer. My GB2 is the jade G10 version, but I like that texture also.
I actually like the smooth CF on the Caly 3. It's easy on the pocket and the ergos of the knife keeps it locked in your hand. I does look nice too. On the other hand, I think I like the CF/G10 laminate even better because of it's subtle texture. It's also very durable. My only complaint is that they use the same color/type of so many models. I have at least 6 or 7 models with it, and I like it, but a little variety would be nice
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!