Delica 4 in 2024?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Matus

Re: Delica 4 in 2024?

Post by Matus »

I just ordered a SE Delica in k390 few days ago, delivery pending. It was 130€ on Amazon here in Germany - and that is the bottom end of the price spectrum here in DE, with the average being more like 140 - 160 €

But I still think that one can not compare a price of a product made in the western part of the world with China. The same like a T-Shirt made in Japan will cost more than one made in Bangladesh. So once we put these poor countries aside and start to compare apples to apples - then Spyderco knives suddenly don't look all that expensive.

I know that I live in a different part of the world than most of the forums members here - but I actually want people to get a living wage for their work. A direct result of that is that stuff can get expensive and I am able to buy less of it. And while I understand why the government subsidizes agriculture - I really don't expect them to start to do something similar with pocket knives anytime soon.

... yes it is surprising that often the limited runs in higher end steels may cost nearly the same as the basic VG-10 model. I don't know how that works in detail and I don''t expect Spyderco AND the vendor in question to lay their business cards on the table just that our curiosity can be satisfied.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:51 pm
In a world, obsessed with every attribute to a folding knife except strangely enough what actually contributes to making a great performing folding knife that we actually carry and use for cutting. The Delica 4 "Full Flat Grind" (ffg) is quite refreshing, especially to newcomers who have not experienced this humble, timeless classic.

While it doesn't have all of the features our favorite social media reviewers regurgitate that we need on a folder such as flippers, bearings, "fidgety action" etc. which don't get me wrong, those are also cool things to play with.

I find the Delica 4 ffg has some of the most important attributes in a folder that a lot of us find ourselves ACTUALLY carrying every day rather than saying that we do but leaving it in the car, dresser etc

I like to think it's thanks to its small, thin profile and lightweight, it can accommodate almost any wardrobe and disappear until you need it, yet it's substantial enough for most light cutting tasks that we find in everyday environments.

Whenever I see another guy carrying a Delica 4, It's like a "knife guy's handshake." Or like a cool nod that we are both in on a very big secret since the Delica 4 can be a total "sleeper" a knife that hides its performance with humble looks.

This knife is just an excellent cutter, especially when you put your own and edge finish on it to your desires.

I remember five years ago I talked to Michael Christy and he brought up the notion of a "walk away knife"

Basically, he said if he decided to walk away from being a knife enthusiast and just go back to being a regular, less knife obsessed guy the Spyderco Delica 4 full flat grind would be his "walk away knife"

I completely agree and that's especially more true now that it's been available in K390.
Would your walk away version be VG10 or K390? Answer seems obvious, but I wonder if ease of sharpening and corrosion resistance aside there’s a benefit to VG10?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I really like how this thread points out how well loved the Delica is and still is by folks who mostly really USE their knives -
hope some youtube-"reviewers" and the like read this. Not directly critizising those, not saying that the Delica must necessarily be the best choice for everyone - personal preferences do exist of course.

But it is definitely not "outdated" by any means, but a very refined, great cutting tool - just can reiterate: To me the Delica is even the best in its size range, and if I was more into small folders It could very well be my personal best folder overall.
As it is, the Endura takes that place.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

Matus wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:32 am
I just ordered a SE Delica in k390 few days ago, delivery pending. It was 130€ on Amazon here in Germany - and that is the bottom end of the price spectrum here in DE, with the average being more like 140 - 160 €

But I still think that one can not compare a price of a product made in the western part of the world with China. The same like a T-Shirt made in Japan will cost more than one made in Bangladesh. So once we put these poor countries aside and start to compare apples to apples - then Spyderco knives suddenly don't look all that expensive.

I know that I live in a different part of the world than most of the forums members here - but I actually want people to get a living wage for their work. A direct result of that is that stuff can get expensive and I am able to buy less of it. And while I understand why the government subsidizes agriculture - I really don't expect them to start to do something similar with pocket knives anytime soon.

... yes it is surprising that often the limited runs in higher end steels may cost nearly the same as the basic VG-10 model. I don't know how that works in detail and I don''t expect Spyderco AND the vendor in question to lay their business cards on the table just that our curiosity can be satisfied.
The Exclusives are what I recommend first, insanely good value.

Honestly the price of the exclusives in high end steels like 20CV, CPM-M4, Hap 40, Super Blue, or Coated Cru-wear is one of the best values on the knife market usually they are only $10-15 above the base VG10 price. I picked up a coated M4 delica for $90 from Blade HQ on sale, it’s pretty sweet.

I can see how people wouldn’t find the base knife to be a good value with the plethora of of Chinese budget brands flooding the market with elaborately machined knives in equivalent steels or better steels to VG10 and with G10 or micarta handles for around $50-60.

However l find that a tool’s worth is more than the sum of it’s parts and frills. I don’t own a knife the size of the delica that is as good at cutting or that is comfortable and sure in-hand during use. What I’m paying for a dialed in design that has been tweaked, refined, and iterated on for 30 years. I don’t see the refinement in design for the budget blades flooding the market recently.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

People probably hate on it because it doesn't have a compression lock and isn't all "flickly flicky" and "drop shutty" and whatever non user knife related things they can come up with.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

electro-static wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:35 am
Matus wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:32 am

Honestly the price of the exclusives in high end steels like 20CV, CPM-M4, Hap 40, Super Blue, or Coated Cru-wear is one of the best values on the knife market usually they are only $10-15 above the base VG10 price. I picked up a coated M4 delica for $90 from Blade HQ on sale, it’s pretty sweet.

I can see how people wouldn’t find the base knife to be a good value with the plethora of of Chinese budget brands flooding the market with elaborately machined knives in equivalent steels or better steels to VG10 and with G10 or micarta handles for around $50-60.

However l find that a tool’s worth is more than the sum of it’s parts and frills. I don’t own a knife the size of the delica that is as good at cutting or that is comfortable and sure in-hand during use. What I’m paying for a dialed in design that has been tweaked, refined, and iterated on for 30 years. I don’t see the refinement in design for the budget blades flooding the market recently.
Agree. Imo The functionality and refinement you get from a sal/spyderco design alone makes it worth their asking price. Aside from the fact it comes from a very high quality factory in Japan that specializes in lockback mechanisms. The design alone makes it way ahead of all these generic, cheap flippers nowadays.
:bug-red-white
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

You can get good knives with excellent fit and finish from chinese brands like civivi and kizer, but id much rather pay more for a delica. They are just built more rugged and stand the test of time. I still think they are good value work knives in the current times.
Ryder

Post by Ryder »

A favorite of mine. The K390 makes it like a wicked slicer on steroids…

IMG_3957.jpeg
toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

capt.carl wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:26 am
You can get good knives with excellent fit and finish from chinese brands like civivi and kizer, but id much rather pay more for a delica.
I have begun to see Civivi etc. as a good "around town" EDC - particularly for a knife newbie, a SO, etc. I would personally choose the refinement and quality control of a Spyderco, but some of these budget brands make some nice products.
toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

electro-static wrote:

I have noticed this as well; I am intrigued.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

sal wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:10 pm
Hi Ladybug,

How do you mean not the best value? What are you measuring? We work with a vendor in Japan that we've been working with for 44 years. They make our designs to our standards with our choice of materials at a very good quality ( Works well, works for a long time) They charges us a fair price. We add additional costs, shipping, packaging, etc. for on the shelf cost. We add our margins which we need to run a business. Don't know what you would change?

It's a serious comment and worth forum discussion. I like to know what you think.

sal
i'm sorry. i really wasn't trying to make this thread turn this direction. i don't think you all are price gouging or anything like that, and i'm definitely not trying to tell you how to run your business. i'm a huge spyderco fan for a reason, and even learned to love the delica this last year, as i already stated.

i'm just saying there are knives out there that are a better value, even in your own lineup. my 20cv wharncliffe delica feels like a better value at $100 than a vg10 delica is at $90. and i got mine on sale for $85, which is a no-brainer against a $90 vg10 version.

to be fair, boker has been asking much higher prices for their vg10 knives for years. personally, i can't bring myself to buy any of them because of their prices.
capt.carl wrote: You can get good knives with excellent fit and finish from chinese brands like civivi and kizer, but id much rather pay more for a delica. They are just built more rugged and stand the test of time. I still think they are good value work knives in the current times.
i'm not talking about chinese flippers in supposed super steels for cheap. all of that stuff is probably fine for most, but after a getting used to a spydie flick or a smooth, slow roll, i'm not interested in assisted flippers on bearings. it all feels cheap to me now.

but, for a few dollars cheaper than a standard delica, you can get a cold steel ultimate hunter with s35vn and a superior triad lock. i chose this knife as an example because they are in a similar size range, price, lock configuration, and quality, but i know there are other examples as well. i know a lot of people turn their noses up at cold steel, but they have some designs that are actually really great.

anyway, i really didn't want to talk this much about this and didn't mean to derail, but felt i needed to respond.

the delica is a great knife and i've really been enjoying the three that i have. i know my son loves the two he has and my father-in-law loves his as well. none of us are unhappy with the model, even the vg10 versions we each have.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
thojan

Post by thojan »

toomanyquestions wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:34 pm
capt.carl wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:26 am
You can get good knives with excellent fit and finish from chinese brands like civivi and kizer, but id much rather pay more for a delica.
I have begun to see Civivi etc. as a good "around town" EDC - particularly for a knife newbie, a SO, etc. I would personally choose the refinement and quality control of a Spyderco, but some of these budget brands make some nice products.
I have a few of those, nice fit and finish, but most of the time the steel is trash. My Elementum is a really nice knife in the hand, the hollow grind is very well done, but the D2 is worse than my rusty old rat in AUS8. Same with my other budget chinese knives. And when you go to the more expensive offerings, you get some super soft 154cm or s35vn, that is on par with vg10.

In contrast, my k390 wharncliffe delica cost me 150€ and is a freaking lightsaber, that will not stop cutting.
Delica K390, Delica 20CV, PM2 15V, Para 3 S45VN, Native 5 Salt SE LC200N
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

toomanyquestions wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:37 pm
electro-static wrote:

I have noticed this as well; I am intrigued.
KnifeJoy’s 20CV seki knives are an amazing value. I highly recommend.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Just an anecdote - got my Delica SE k390 from Amazon delivered today - but after opening the box (that stated SE k390) there was saber ground SE VG-10 Delica inside, lol. Back it goes :grin-smiling-eyes (but I actually think it looks really cool) The weird thing is - the handle has a dark green-gray (or green/blue-gray) handle, not a black one. Makes me wonder what the story behind it is.
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

They really are excellent edcs. I really should carry and use my delicas more often. The wharncliff Delica is an incredible little cutter. The plain edge Delica 4 is one of the nicest designs from spyderco. I love the curved handle. It makes for a better grip while not taking up much pocket space.
Just one more knife...
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Coming from a guy on the Delica wagon … the most recurring dislike I hear regarding the Delica is grip - lack of fit in hand and misalignment with the grip humps.

Fortunately this isn’t the case for me, and actually it is the exact opposite where everything aligns just right and becomes pure mojo! :hugging-face

Second place dislike I hear is size … too big or too small. Again, for me pure mojo! :hugging-face

Third place dislike I hear is FRN. Well. … more mojo. :hugging-face

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
thojan

Post by thojan »

Matus wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:12 pm
Just an anecdote - got my Delica SE k390 from Amazon delivered today - but after opening the box (that stated SE k390) there was saber ground SE VG-10 Delica inside, lol. Back it goes :grin-smiling-eyes (but I actually think it looks really cool) The weird thing is - the handle has a dark green-gray (or green/blue-gray) handle, not a black one. Makes me wonder what the story behind it is.
Oh no, what a bummer!

Do you mean this one? https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C11FG/234
Delica K390, Delica 20CV, PM2 15V, Para 3 S45VN, Native 5 Salt SE LC200N
Matus

Post by Matus »

thojan wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:28 am
Matus wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:12 pm
Oh no, what a bummer!

Do you mean this one? https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C11FG/234
Close, but the blade is fully serrated. I will start a separate thread on this one.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

I'd love to see another run of the G10 Delica and Endura. Those were fantastic knives and really made the awesomeness of the design very apparent. G10 + full steel liners + steel backspacer resulted in a classy look too - a gentleman's serious use pocket knife.

They were also the bridge between the Delica 3 and Delica 4, introducing the 4-way clip and FFG blade.

Stas

Post by Stas »

mark greenman wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:50 am
I'd love to see another run of the G10 Delica and Endura. Those were fantastic knives and really made the awesomeness of the design very apparent. G10 + full steel liners + steel backspacer resulted in a classy look too - a gentleman's serious use pocket knife.

They were also the bridge between the Delica 3 and Delica 4, introducing the 4-way clip and FFG blade.

Absolutely!
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.