Looking for thoughts on Caly 3.5 vs. GB2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mreagan

Looking for thoughts on Caly 3.5 vs. GB2

Post by mreagan »

Hello!

Looking for a stout fully lined folding knife that preferably has backlock, but definitely not compression lock (i have quite a few). The sweet spot in range for blade length is 2.5"-3.25". Ultimately, I'd love a fully lined Stretch in G10 (not the XL) with an upgraded steel, but they don't make on? I've narrowed it down to the GB2 and Caly3.5. I'd love everyone's thoughts. A couple specific questions, is the Caly handle a bit too skinny in depth? Also is the GB2 liner lock easy to access (I love larger cutaways for liner locks, like the Raven 2?

Looking forward to the communities thoughts.
Matt

:bug-red-white , Watu, PM2 Crucarta, Shaman, Caribbean, SpydieChef, Ikuchi, Chaparral, Manix 2, Native 5, Siren, Delica 4, Kapara, Manix 2 Maxamet, Raven 2
Ramonade

Re: Looking for thoughts on Caly 3.5 vs. GB2

Post by Ramonade »

The GB2 is especially designed for its linerlock NOT to be easily accessed. You kinda have to turn the knife upwards (edge facing up) and intentionally put your thumb in there to disengage the lock.

People not wanting this kind of anti accidental unlocking feature did modify theirs, to open up access to the lockbar.

Considering your message, seems like you fell in love with the blade of the GB2 but that the Caly 3,5" has more features you'd appreciate :-)
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Two very different knives. Do you like to choke up on the blade, or do you like your fingers a good distance away from the blade? That could help you decide. Myself I like to get my index finger as close to the blade as is safely possible, which is why I'm more of a GB1 & Caly fan. The other major differentiator is whether you like hollow ground or full flat ground. Regards "tallness" of handle, that's entirely a personal preference. For me, who buys L to XL gloves, the Caly fits well, but everybody's different.Regards the Stretch, watch the secondary market for the ZDP version of the Stretch 1, you might like that. Too bad the K390 Stretch 2 won't work for you but it's linered FRN.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Caly 3.5 has a much more delicate blade and steel. If you want "stout" the GB2 has a much tougher grind as well as steel. Also easier to clean as the Caly is pinned construction.
I carry both at times: GB2 for general hard use EDC; Caly for dress up gentleman's carry.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Caly 3.5 is 3.0oz
CF/M4 GB2 is 4.5oz
Micarta/Cruwear GB2 is 4.1oz
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

In the spirit of this forum I’m going to recommend a different knife — does the Native not work due to lack of liners? It checks all you boxes except that one. It’s plenty “stout.” No flex on that knife. The Knifecenter exclusive Cruwear is a very nice knife.https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP41GP ... -exclusive
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I agree with the comments above that the GB2 feels more stout than the Caly 3.5. Some forum members have also commented that the lockback of the Caly has some movement when bearing down on the knife.

More photos to help with your comparison.
caly_vs_gb2_closed.jpg
GB2 is at the bottom.
caly_vs_gb2_thickness.jpg
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

The Stretch 2 in K390 will not work? It is smaller than the Stretch 2 XL and right in the size you are looking for. It has liners. Now the liners are not visible if that is what you are after.

As others have said the Caly 3.5 and GB2 are very different. I love both and would put both in my top 5. The GB2 feels more stout, but is an excellent cutter. The Caly seems more classy, but can be an excellent work knife. In other words, they both do a lot very well. Both also feel excellent in hand.

It is a relatively easy mod to grind a little bit of the liner on the GB2 down to open up the access for the liner lock.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:14 pm
The GB2 is especially designed for its linerlock NOT to be easily accessed. You kinda have to turn the knife upwards (edge facing up) and intentionally put your thumb in there to disengage the lock.

People not wanting this kind of anti accidental unlocking feature did modify theirs, to open up access to the lockbar.
GB2 isn't difficult to unlock. It's the GB that was difficult to unlock and that's not difficult once you get used to ir. GB2 was made so it's considerably easier to unlock than the GB.
My first GB is one that the previous owner paid someone to do a really nice job modifying it to have better access to the lock bar. I bought an unmodified one after it was difficult to unlock until I figured out how to push down on the lock bar and then moving it over. I didn't buy a GB2 until a couple years ago. That's like using any other loner lock as far as I'm concerned

And I agree with others. The Caly 3.5 is fabulous but the GB2 is a bit beefier. If you want even more stout look for a GB
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:19 pm

GB2 isn't difficult to unlock. It's the GB that was difficult to unlock and that's not difficult once you get used to ir. GB2 was made so it's considerably easier to unlock than the GB.
My first GB is one that the previous owner paid someone to do a really nice job modifying it to have better access to the lock bar. I bought an unmodified one after it was difficult to unlock until I figured out how to push down on the lock bar and then moving it over. I didn't buy a GB2 until a couple years ago. That's like using any other loner lock as far as I'm concerned

And I agree with others. The Caly 3.5 is fabulous but the GB2 is a bit beefier. If you want even more stout look for a GB
Well the OP asked if the lockbar was easily accessed like on the Raven. It's not easily accessed, but it is not difficult to unlock, indeed.

The GB1 has thicker liners and so much tension that it chewed through my thumb in a matter of days 🤣
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

You may be able to find a Stretch g10/zdp189 somewhere.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

Why not look for a GB1?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Can't beat the ergo's of the Caly family. That would be my pick.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
benben

Post by benben »

I have two GB1's and a Caly 3.5, they're both knives ;), seriously they couldn't be more different from each other!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

mreagan wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:54 pm
Hello!

Looking for a stout fully lined folding knife that preferably has backlock, but definitely not compression lock (i have quite a few). The sweet spot in range for blade length is 2.5"-3.25". Ultimately, I'd love a fully lined Stretch in G10 (not the XL) with an upgraded steel, but they don't make on? I've narrowed it down to the GB2 and Caly3.5. I'd love everyone's thoughts. A couple specific questions, is the Caly handle a bit too skinny in depth? Also is the GB2 liner lock easy to access (I love larger cutaways for liner locks, like the Raven 2?

I'm a little confused. You say the sweet spot for you is 2.5" to 3.25 inches and you want a backlock. Neither of the knives you mention have blades that short and the GB2 isn't a backlock.

If you want something a little longer bladed, and want linered G10, a Manix 2 is just the thing. If you want something in the 3" range, then a Native 5 is the thing.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
mreagan

Post by mreagan »

Wow, thanks for all the responses and great photos! A lot to chew on here.

Ramonade, you are right, I prefer the edge and GB look overall.

To Doc Dan et al, good observation on size, I guess since I have Chaparral, Delica and Native 5 in various runs, I went larger.

This may be anathema here, but I saw there is a current Tenacious in M4 with G10...

I'm going to have to sell some current stock! :winking-tongue
Matt

:bug-red-white , Watu, PM2 Crucarta, Shaman, Caribbean, SpydieChef, Ikuchi, Chaparral, Manix 2, Native 5, Siren, Delica 4, Kapara, Manix 2 Maxamet, Raven 2
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

mreagan wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:54 pm
Hello!

There's a G10 Stretch 2 in ZDP-189 at Botach if you're interested.
https://botach.com/spyderco-stretch-2-g ... ves-brown/

The GB2 lock is NOT easy to access IMHO. It's safer for heavier tasks, but not optimized for quick, light cuts.
- Richard
thojan

Post by thojan »

How about a saber ground Endura?
Delica K390, Delica 20CV, PM2 15V, Para 3 S45VN, Native 5 Salt SE LC200N
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

If you’re a hardcore spyderco/sal design enthusiast you’ll pick a caly.. simple
:bug-red-white
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

This is the typical which one thread on the Spyderco Forum. Half the people choose one model and half choose the other. A few others feel the need to choose something that's not even on the table

Once again there's only one good answer. Buy them all
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!